K3/CR1 newbie question

Hello all,

I think I can make sense out of most things, but I am just starting this process and I would like to know the best way to handle this. I have read almost everything on this site and other sites, so I am a little confused. I would appreciate any help you all can give us. I am filing both to cover our bases, so whichever one she gets first will help us to be together sooner.

I know I need to fill out and send the I-130/G-325a to Texas. When I recieve the NOA1 or 2 I send a copy of it along with the I-129F to Chicago? What else can/should I file at the same time? For example, the application for my wife to be able to work here? Social security number so she can get her Florida driver's license? If anyone can just list for me what needs to be filed where and when, I would really appreciate it.

Also, who will recieve the P3? Me or my wife (in China)? The P4? I think my wife is more worried and stressed about this than I am, and we haven't even sent anything out yet. I know when she goes for the interview, she will be too nervous to be as confident as she needs to be, and perhaps a translator will need to be called in. I am looking for a full VHS camcorder to bring with me on the next trip to China so she can present a tape if requested.

Thank you all for any help and advice you can provide.

Hello all,

I think I can make sense out of most things, but I am just starting this process and I would like to know the best way to handle this.  I have read almost everything on this site and other sites, so I am a little confused.  I would appreciate any help you all can give us.  I am filing both to cover our bases, so whichever one she gets first will help us to be together sooner.

I know I need to fill out and send the I-130/G-325a to Texas.  When I recieve the NOA1 or 2 I send a copy of it along with the I-129F to Chicago?  What else can/should I file at the same time? For example, the application for my wife to be able to work here? Social security number so she can get her Florida driver's license?  If anyone can just list for me what needs to be filed where and when, I would really appreciate it.

Also, who will recieve the P3? Me or my wife (in China)? The P4?  I think my wife is more worried and stressed about this than I am, and we haven't even sent anything out yet.  I know when she goes for the interview, she will be too nervous to be as confident as she needs to be, and perhaps a translator will need to be called in.  I am looking for a full VHS camcorder to bring with me on the next trip to China so she can present a tape if requested.

Thank you all for any help and advice you can provide.

171580[/snapback]

RTFF and go here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

Ok, see if I can at least get you started....I am doing this from memory, so I am sure if I forget anything, others will pipe in.

1) you need to file an I-130 filled out. There is a section where your wife needs to put her name and mailing address in Chinese. She can either write it herself, if you have it on a computer you could use cut and paste or write in there "see continuation sheet" and print it out on a seperate sheet of paper.

2) have a completed G-325a Biographcal sheet, one for both you and your wife.

3) copies of your marriage certificate, your and hers birth certificate, your and her divorce decrees (if applicable)

4) passport sized pictures of both of you with your names printed on the back.

5) A money order or something similar of the filing fee. When I filed it was $185, and I am not sure if it has changed.

If any of your documents are in Chinese, you will need them translated. The translator needs to have this statement at the end.

I _________________, certify that I am fluent in both English and Chinese languages and this is a accurate translation of the document attached entitled _______________.

Signature/Date

Company

The NOA1 will be mailed to you once the Service Center recieves it. Once you recieve the NOA1 for the I-130you can then file the I-129 for the K-3. Since I decided not to file the I-129 I don't know if you need to send in another fee. For that you will ask to ask somebody else.

Once the Service Center finishes the I-130 they will send it to the NVC where you will get a bill and the form for verifying your income ($65), then the visa filing fee ($380).

Your wife will get a form where she can designate an agent to act in her behalf. Most select their husbands or Fiancees. You will get the P-3 which you need to send to her (you can fill out some of it, but she needs to sign it). The P-4 will be mailed to her.

I hope this helps

Edited by Carl (see edit history)
Ok, see if I can at least get you started....I am doing this from memory, so I am sure if I forget anything, others will pipe in.

1) you need to file an I-130 filled out.  There is a section where your wife needs to put her name and mailing address in Chinese.  She can either write it herself, if you have it on a computer you could use cut and paste or write in there "see continuation sheet" and print it out on a seperate sheet of paper.

2) have a completed G-325a Biographcal sheet, one for both you and your wife.

3) copies of your marriage certificate, your and hers birth certificate, your and her divorce decrees (if applicable)

4) passport sized pictures of both of you with your names printed on the back.

5) A money order or something similar of the filing fee.  When I filed it was $185, and I am not sure if it has changed.

If any of your documents are in Chinese, you will need them translated.  The translator needs to have this statement at the end.

I _________________, certify that I am fluent in both English and Chinese languages and this is a accurate translation of the document attached entitled _______________.

Signature/Date

Company

The NOA1 will be mailed to you once the Service Center recieves it.  Once you recieve the NOA1 for the I-130you can then file the I-129 for the K-3.  Since I decided not to file the I-129 I don't know if you need to send in another fee.  For that you will ask to ask somebody else.

Once the Service Center finishes the I-130 they will send it to the NVC where you will get a bill and the form for verifying your income ($65), then the visa filing fee ($380).

Your wife will get a form where she can designate an agent to act in her behalf.  Most select their husbands or Fiancees.  You will get the P-3 which you need to send to her (you can fill out some of it, but she needs to sign it).  The P-4 will be mailed to her.

I hope this helps

171593[/snapback]

Hey Carl,

Quick question for you regarding receipt of forms. So far all forms up until now (NOA1) have been arriving at my permanent address in the US, and I have been having them forwarded to me here in Shanghai. My wife and I are considering moving to a different apartment in Shanghai soon. I'm just wondering at what point they start sending stuff to us in China, and if changing our China address would be a big deal?

Thanks!

When I recieve the NOA1 or 2 I send a copy of it along with the I-129F to Chicago?

Yes. When you receive [NOA1]=[P1]= I-797C receipt notice for the I-130, make a copy of it to send along with the I-129F.

What else can/should I file at the same time? For example, the application for my wife to be able to work here? Social security number so she can get her Florida driver's license?

The visa process could take anywhere from 10 to 12 months and beyond. There are no documents you can prepare for your wife at this time, however, you will need to prepare the I-134 at or around the K3 application package (P3) or an I-864 that is requested by NVC for the CR1 after the I-130 is approved by CIS.

Also, who will recieve the P3? Me or my wife (in China)? The P4?

The application package (P3) for the K3 NIV visa will be sent by GZ to your wife in China. In rare occasions, the P3 has been sent to the USC when the beneficiary's address is unclear or missing.

The P3 for the IV CR1 is sent to whomever the petitioner signs as the agent on the DS-3032. The agent usually is the petitioner.

The appointment letter (P4) will be sent to your wife in China.

Do NOT send anything to Chicago without the NOA1! My Lawyer did that to me as a time saving step, thinking it would help speed up the process. The 129F made it to Chicago (with the check for the app fee.) The package was signed for but the check was never cashed and never recieved a response from them, even after I inquired about it.

You can check out my timeline and the procedures from the links in my signature. The one below was very well written, I followed it step by step. it was right on.

http://www.geocities.com/jgomes4551/k3.html

The I130's are getting approved very quickly. Making them CR-1's "ouch"!

You won't find many real K3's, only the old timers. (filed K3 before Jun 04.)

thank you, everyone, for your help so far. I just filled out the I-130 online and where it says to write my wife's name and address in characters other than roman letters, can I paste her chinese information there from the computer? They do say to write, so I am not sure. I cannot write in chinese well enough to write it in yet :-)

I failed to mention that you can obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for tax purposes. Print a copy of the W-7 form from the IRS website, fill it out and send it in along with your IRS 1040. You will be able to file, listing your wife's name, on the tax form.

171614[/snapback]

Can you obtain the ITIN as soon as you are married? Just wondering as I am going to Zhanjiang 1-20-06 to be married and would love to be able to file my 2006 tax return as married filing jointly (as she would have no reportable income). Can you also obtain an ITIN for step children and then claim them as dependants? Thanks for any help in this matter.

I failed to mention that you can obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for tax purposes. Print a copy of the W-7 form from the IRS website, fill it out and send it in along with your IRS 1040. You will be able to file, listing your wife's name, on the tax form.

171614[/snapback]

Can you obtain the ITIN as soon as you are married? Just wondering as I am going to Zhanjiang 1-20-06 to be married and would love to be able to file my 2006 tax return as married filing jointly (as she would have no reportable income). Can you also obtain an ITIN for step children and then claim them as dependants? Thanks for any help in this matter.

171836[/snapback]

If you are married on Dec. 31, you can file as married.

The TIN is needed when you file. IRS TIN Application

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Would the notarized SO's passport be enough for applying for the TIN? How should I get the SO's passport notarized, every page of the passport? Thanks!

171847[/snapback]

All the IRS requires is a notarized copy of your wife's identification page of the passport.

An alternative is to send your wife's passport in with your tax return and the W-7 form.

It's all in the instructions to the IRS W-7 form.

Would the notarized SO's passport be enough for applying for the TIN? How should I get the SO's passport notarized, every page of the passport? Thanks!

171847[/snapback]

I sent Ying the filled out W-7 and the 1040, had her sign and date it and send it back to me. I also had her send me her passport which I copied and printed at the top of the page:TRUE COPY OF PASSPORT #XXXXXXXXX BELONGING TO XXXXX XXXXXXX

At the bottom of the page I printed: I ____________ certify that that this is a true copy of the document entitled PASSPORT #XXXXXXXX BELONGING TO XXXXX XXXXXXXX. My commission expires __________________ .

Signature.

I had it notarized, sent the notarized copy, the signed W-7 and the 1040 to the IRS office in Philadelphia (they are the only place to process ITIN's). I had no problems doing it this way.

Once I had the copy I sent Ying's passport back to her. According to the IRS I could claim my wife because we were married, but I could not claim her son because he was physically in the US with me.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)
Maybe IRS doesn't trust the notary services of the US GOVERNMENT DOS??? That's the only response I could get out of them in Philly- send us the "ÖRIGINAL". I tried explaining what THEIR INSTRUCTIONS stated and they were DEAF and extremely DUMB!       

172035[/snapback]

Sounds like you got ahold of some dip head at the IRS. My wife went to the US Embassy in Beijing and had the folks there notarize the passports ($20 or $30 each). The IRS in Philly accepted them along with the W-7 and my ammended 2004 taxes (I had this done in September of this year) without any questions and have received the ITIN last week.