guz response to children

ptcrusier333rph

Dear CFL Members,

If one birth parent or legal guardian of a child is planning on taking a child (any minor under the age of 18) to the United States, and the other parent or legal guardian of the child is going to remain behind in China, they must be prepared to show that there is no legal impediment to the child leaving the country.

This can be demonstrated by showing who has custody of the child. Divorce agreements in China usually list who has legal custody of children. The birth parent staying in China can also provide a notarized statement saying that they are aware that the child plans to immigrate to the U.S. and that they agree with their immigration. These are the most common methods of demonstrating that there is no legal impediment to the child immigrating to the U.S.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, neither of these documents can be obtained. These situations are dealt with on a case by case basis.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit, U.S. Consulate, Guangzhou, China

nice response but what about those that never been married and the child father not around? what prove is needed?

A couple of points:

This is one of the few areas where host country law is considered, therefore things may be different in Viet Nam.

I asked that the 18-21 year old point be included as lao po has a 17 year old daughter and her birth father (out of the picture for many years) is demanding I give him more than $20,000 to agree that "his" daughter can come to the US. Of course we will not pay one cent! As I read the GZ reply, when the daughter turns 18 she can decide for herself if she goes to the US, and she wants to. :rolleyes:

those dead-beat dads should be punished for the attempted extortion...

that fries me...... :rolleyes:

That the point some of these deadbeats dads are demanding money, I'm sure we can find the father but from what I know of him, he a very greedy individual. as for the birth certificate i'm checking to see if the father put on it, I seem to remember her mother threatening to do that if my SO mother did I not sure if that will cause problems, most of these will be taken care of on my next trip.

but I believe from what I been looking into that viet nam laws have my SO as sole custudy because she was never married, to keep the children from claiming first born rights to the father estates.

robert

A couple of points:

This is one of the few areas where host country law is considered, therefore things may be different in Viet Nam.

I asked that the 18-21 year old point be included as lao po has a 17 year old daughter and her birth father (out of the picture for many years) is demanding I give him more than $20,000 to agree that "his" daughter can come to the US.  Of course we will not pay one cent!  As I read the GZ reply, when the daughter turns 18 she can decide for herself if she goes to the US, and she wants to. :greenblob:

170052[/snapback]

Is n't it sad that there can be so much variation between Fathers :greenblob:

My SO's Exmet with us and he wants to help pay for his daughter's college education in America :greenblob:

A couple of points:

I asked that the 18-21 year old point be included as lao po has a 17 year old daughter and her birth father (out of the picture for many years) is demanding I give him more than $20,000 to agree that "his" daughter can come to the US.  Of course we will not pay one cent!  As I read the GZ reply, when the daughter turns 18 she can decide for herself if she goes to the US, and she wants to.   :greenblob:

170052[/snapback]

Is n't it sad that there can be so much variation between Fathers :greenblob:

My SO's Exmet with us and he wants to help pay for his daughter's college education in America :greenblob:

170499[/snapback]

Good for him! He's sounds like a real class act and a good father!

My wife has sole custody and we have a notarized letter for the father. My concern is if there is a period of 'expiration' for the notarized letter. Anyone?