Extra suitcases on the airplane...

Hi All,

Now that she has passed the interview - we can move on with other business.

QUESTION: I think my wife will be flying Delta to LA and then on the Atlanta - where I will meet her. What is the cheapest way (airline) to get her belongings here???

From experience - I think Delta is more "forgiving" on the baggage. They now say 22kg maximum - but they did not charge me for 32kg suitcases recently. She will have a total of 4 suitcases - so we will have to pay for the 2 extra suitcases - plus if they charge her "overweight" (anything over 22kg) we will have to pay this as well.

I sure do need opinions of others who have recently gone through this. We have to decide how many pounds to pack per suitcase and what airline will be the cheapest (as far as baggage is concerned).

NWA one time hit me with a huge overweight and oversize fee!!! I will never use them again!!!

Please give your opinions so I can make a more educated decision.

Thanks,

Scott

I flew NWA last time I went to China and brought back 2 huge suitcases of Bings that were about 55 kg. Never said a word to me. LAX will be a difficult airport for a small Chinese woman with 4 suitcases to navigate alone. She will need to leave the international terminal and go about 1/4 mile to the Terminal Delta is in to change planes. Might be fun for you to fly over to meet her and fly on home with her. I bet it would put her mind at ease.

I flew NWA last time I went to China and brought back 2 huge suitcases of Bings that were about 55 kg.  Never said a word to me.  LAX will be a difficult airport for a small Chinese woman with 4 suitcases to navigate alone.  She will need to leave the international terminal and go about 1/4 mile to the Terminal Delta is in to change planes.  Might be fun for you to fly over to  meet her and fly on home with her.  I bet it would put her mind at ease.

168548[/snapback]

My wife has a friend in LA that is supposed to meet her there - and assist in some way - not sure how though... without a ticket she cannot enter the secure area. But maybe she can help her get to the other terminal? Do you think a person with no ticket can be of any assistance? But my going to LA is still an option.

Scott

I have always flown NWA, mainly because i have for about 10 years now. I just left GUZ, with 10.7 kg over the limit and the guy did not say a thing, but the gal at the next counter was busting some guys jewels for .5 kg over (yes that is a 0.5!)

If you fly NWA out of Beijing, claim it as fragile, since they have a new handling system for ftagile luggage that does not have a scale. I have used this system twice, and discovered it by accident.

If it is too excessive, it would be worth it to buy a ticket be her porter in shining armor! :lol:

hey scott i am going thru the same process. NWA recently changed the rules for luggage if you bought your ticket before 9/1/05 then you can have 70 pounds after that 50! Not sure how they inforce it but i would check the website for the airline you are flying her out on to see what the charges are for over weight/size and extra baggage. It still might be cheaper than shipping things via china post......I spent 200$ to send 5 boxes. Hope this helps.

mark :lol:

I flew NWA last time I went to China and brought back 2 huge suitcases of Bings that were about 55 kg.  Never said a word to me.  LAX will be a difficult airport for a small Chinese woman with 4 suitcases to navigate alone.  She will need to leave the international terminal and go about 1/4 mile to the Terminal Delta is in to change planes.  Might be fun for you to fly over to  meet her and fly on home with her.  I bet it would put her mind at ease.

168548[/snapback]

My wife has a friend in LA that is supposed to meet her there - and assist in some way - not sure how though... without a ticket she cannot enter the secure area. But maybe she can help her get to the other terminal? Do you think a person with no ticket can be of any assistance? But my going to LA is still an option.

Scott

168552[/snapback]

In LA she will have to handle the luggage herself in the secure area and they have carts available. Immediately after going through customs she can check her luggage to her destination if she has a ticketed flight.

You must call Delta to get the international limits, I think it is 70lbs each, here is the schedule for domestic Baggage Allowance and for Excess Baggage

It is possible that if she does not get hit with an overweight charge in Beijing she could have that happen in LA and payment would have to be made before they checked the luggage.

I'd suggest not exceeding 70 lbs. on each because the cost for an extra bag is usually less than the overweight charges.

I had been told that if you are on an international flight, that your baggage allowance is for the entire flight. In otherwords, if you fly from Shanghai to LAX on China Eastern and are allowed 70 lbs, then you fly on Delta to Atlanta, you are still allowed the 70 lbs (even though the domestic is much less).

When I came over the last time, My bags were about 90 LBS (I had been over there for 3 years). They never left Shanghai. It took me 2 weeks to get them back. So, I don't know from personal experience... But the person at the counter in Chengdu didn't gave me any trouble.

I thought it was a new Homeland Security generated rule for all flights to or through the USA to be 50lbs. Maybe I heard the announcement on Contenental incorrect.

Can't answer you except it cost me $100-200 US equivilent everytime I got on a plane when I traveled with my rather heavy overwieght sample case on business. Alway cost more than the ticket.

My wife will send me home next trip with 2 large suitcasses we will buy when I am there. She has 2 large ones as well. Otherwise she keeps talking about a shipping container on an ocean ship as cheap. So maybe shipping by water is the way to go.

Yes - I know most of this - what I wanted to know is what $ amount some of you had to pay for either extra suitcase or over-weight suitcase???

168821[/snapback]

For a domestic flight LAX to Tampa two months ago, I was quoted $5 per pound for every pound greater than 50 pounds. The sidewalk skycaps first weighed the bag and then refused to process it, directing me to the inside check-in counter.