marrying over seas

Hi, my name is Steve. I have recently met a wonderful woman from china that I plan to visit and marry. Her name Mei and we have been talking for a short time but have gotten so close really fast. It will still be a while before we actually meet because I am not rich and well... need to save for the trip.i am divorced and was wondering if anyone could tell what documents i would need and if i should start the proccess early so that i will be able to marry her when i am there.

also if anyone know how long it would take after for me to send for her to come here?i have read some sites that say once you start the K-3 process your spouse is able to come over immediately and wait. And other sites that say the opposite. I would appreciate any help that can be given. I love this woman and want to be together.

Thank you, Steve

Hi, my name is Steve. I have recently met a wonderful woman from china that I plan to visit and marry. Her name Mei and we have been talking for a short time but have gotten so close really fast. It will still be a while before we actually meet because I am not rich and well... need to save for the trip.i am divorced and was wondering if anyone could tell what documents i would need and if i should start the proccess early so that i will be able to marry her when i am there.

also if anyone know how long it would take after for me to send for her to come here?i have read some sites that say once you start the K-3 process your spouse is able to come over immediately and wait. And other sites that say the opposite. I would appreciate any help that can be given. I love this woman and want to be together.

Thank you, Steve

168440[/snapback]

Welcome to the site Steve! I have heard that the K1 (fiance) visa is faster than the K3 (spousal) visa, and once you apply for either visa, she CANNOT come to the US, not even under a tourist visa. In fact, even if you do not apply for a K1/K3, a tourist visa is extremely difficult for any Chinese to get approved for. If it were so easy for spouses to come here, everyone would marry in China and there would be no CFL or similar websites for everyone to share tears and joys on. We are all here to endure a long-distance and long-time waiting process.

As far as applying early, I believe for both visas you have to send proof with the initial application that you have met in person in the previous two years.

I am sure more information will follow from other members. Good luck and stick around.........we'll need you and you'll need us ! Ken :P

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

Thank you, Steve

168440[/snapback]

Steve,

You cannot start the Visa process before you go to China but there is much you can do in advance that will prepare you for the marriage in China if that is your choice. Most of the same will be required if you plan to bring her here before you marry.

Secure or assemble the following documents for you.

1. Birth Certificate

2. Passport

3. Certified Copies of Divorce Decree(s) or Death Certificates if any

You'll need all of this to obtain a certificate of marriageability from the US Consulate in Guangzhou. You must travel there in person for this certificate. It is not required that your lady accompany you to Guangzhou but you will need for her.

1. Copy of Cinese ID card

2. Proof of terminations of any previous marriages

You may wish to travel through Guangzhou on the way to wherever you meet her. I wish I had been able to plan my upcoming trip that way.

Once you obtain the certificate of marriageability, you must have the document translated to Chinese and notarized. Then you can go to government office to apply for and obtain marriage certificate on the same day. In China, signing the marriage certificate IS your marriage. Any Ceremony is optional but is a good idea for "proof" of relationship.

You'll read lots more about this here before you go but I advise you to begin securing or assembling documents long before you plan to arrive in China.

Mike

For the Visa you can find out everything you are going to need to file the Visa application and secure or assemble it. Do this for you and for your lady.

I'm not rich either but if you plan well, you can have

a great time touring China at a cheap price.

Stay away from package tours.

Pick a few cities and have your SO shop for domestic

travel, air or train tickets. For tours, go to the local

CTS offices.

Keep all recipts and ticket stubs and then copy your stamped

visas in your passport. When paying for your hotel make sure

you use your credit card so it shows up on you statement.

Start building your "Proof of Relationship".

Good Luck

Steve,

Welcome to CFL. In our signatures we place our timelines for the process.

As a Rule of Thumb if EVERYTHING goes smoothly:

K1 visa takes 9 to 12 months

CR1/K3 takes 12 to 15 months

Forget about a USA tourist visa for her. It won't happen.

Best of luck to both of you. If you have questions regarding the visa process this is an excellent place with many experienced members.

I would have done K-1, but my wife's family did not want that, and she wanted to have them there for the wedding. There is a fear that the Chinese SO would come to the states and be rejected and have to come home.

So we decided to marry. I consulted the PRC consulate in the US, where you can get the types of information they want to see.

I brought over alot of documents. I had a single status document from my state which was authenticated by the PRC embassy in the US. I had my passport, birth certificate, and translations of both to Chinese. I also hedged my bets and made up a blood ties document (basically three generations of relatives) because my SO suggested that I might need one in her small city home town. I also made my own single status document from the PRC consulate page. I had both of these supplemental documents notarized by my city clerk for the city I live in.

In that city, the clerk looked at the two locally notarized documents and my passport. I had to get certified translations from the next larger jurisdiction (maybe like a county or a prefecture), then we were married.

In China, the official 'wedding' means you get a stamp in her household book, and you get your passport-like certificates with a photo in them. In this case, the photo was done in a little shop across the street and glued into our books. Without any hassles, this process takes about 20 minutes of waiting and 2 minutes of actual discussion.

We had a ceremony and celebratory meal afterwards with her family, and it felt a little more official then. hehe

Maybe the K-1 is faster, but I am happy I married my wife and have no regrets, even if it is extra time. I do know a friend of mine got his K-3 in 6.5 months, so you never know. I pray for that kind of good fortune.

Merc

Welcome Mike and Steve. Good to have another Washingtonian amongst the group.

Time to get your game shoes on. Start making two game plans; one to get your paper trail strategy together, and the other is to make a plan to visit for a couple weeks and dance face to face.

When you come back you will know what feels right, and you can make the move accordingly.

As far as money, it wont cost you as much as you might think. If there is an asian travel agancy or one near an International District, they can have some unbelievable prices. Also there is other online discount options.

As far as when you get there, taxi and food is pretty inexpensive. If you plan to use a hotel, have her book it to get the local rates.

It was very exciting making plans to see Jin for the first time, and I really saw how well we worked as a team together. The ease of working together with her really caught my attention (which is a stark contrast to my first marriage).

Once i came back i filed the k1 petition. It toll 9 days shy of a year from the time the petition was filed, and the date for the interview. There will be plenty of time to strengthen and nourish the relationship along the way.

Hope this can give you another perspective.

Enjoy the journey.

Rick

Welcome Steve.

I agree with what was offered by Jin Julian -- you might explore the K-1 visa process since it is known to be a bit quicker and pursuing it will give you and your new friend time to see how your relationship develops.

I am probably a bit out-of-center here in believeing that relationships are relationships, even Chinese-American ones. The exotic part wears off in time, and you are left with what you are: a man and a woman. And the rules that govern all such relationships apply in these. Intimacy, commitment, respect, humor, love -- all of these are the commodities of success.

These things take time to develop and it takes time to see IF they will develop.

I can offer you some important information on the getting-married-in China part, though. You will need to have a Single Status Statement in order to get married there. This is simply an affidavit that attests to the fact that you are eligible to get married in China (i.e., not currently married). I don't believe such a document exists in American jurisprudence.

The woman will also have to get an equivalent document, but that should be easy for her.

You definitely do NOT have to travel to Guangzhou to get Chinese-legal Single Status Statement, nor personally have it notarized, nor have it translated.

That can all be done here, and for very little money.

I used a place called Visarite, both for getting a travel visa to China and for the Single Status Statement. I simply completed a form testifying that I was not currently married and they took care of the rest (having it completed and notarized by the Attorney General's Office in New York and then "certified" by the Chinese Embassy).

I believe it cost $75 or so -- a lot cheaper than traveling to Guangzhou,

with hotels and food, etc. You can always bring one and not use it! Take a look at their website: (http://www.visarite.com). I believe the guy's nam e is David Song. He is very honest and helpful.

Good luck and definitely untie your shoes. This is not a quick, efficient process, and you are looking at a year, one way or the other. My wife and I just got an interview next month after first applying in February, 2005. And that was pretty quick.

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
Welcome Steve.

I can offer you some important information on the getting-married-in China part, though.  You will need to have a Single Status Statement in order to get married there.  This is simply an affidavit that attests to the fact that you are eligible to get married in China (i.e., not currently married).  I don't believe such a document exists in American jurisprudence.

The woman will also have to get an equivalent document, but that should be easy for her.

You definitely do NOT have to travel to Guangzhou to get Chinese-legal Single Status Statement, nor personally have it notarized, nor have it translated.

I used a place called Visarite, both for getting a travel visa to China and for the Single Status Statement.  I simply completed a form testifying that I was not currently married and they took care of the rest (having it completed and notarized by the Attorney General's Office in New York and then "certified" by the Chinese Embassy).

with hotels and food, etc.  You can always bring one and not use it!  Take a look at their website:  (http://www.visarite.com).  I believe the guy's nam e is David Song.  He is very honest and helpful.

168691[/snapback]

Thank you very much. I was about to spend $400 in additional travel expense for two. I'm waiting for their email now with hopes of saving a lot of money and trouble.

This is of great value.

Mike

Guest pushbrk
Welcome Steve.

I can offer you some important information on the getting-married-in China part, though.  You will need to have a Single Status Statement in order to get married there.  This is simply an affidavit that attests to the fact that you are eligible to get married in China (i.e., not currently married).  I don't believe such a document exists in American jurisprudence.

I used a place called Visarite, both for getting a travel visa to China and for the Single Status Statement.  I simply completed a form testifying that I was not currently married and they took care of the rest (having it completed and notarized by the Attorney General's Office in New York and then "certified" by the Chinese Embassy).

with hotels and food, etc.  You can always bring one and not use it!  Take a look at their website:  (http://www.visarite.com).  I believe the guy's nam e is David Song.  He is very honest and helpful.

168691[/snapback]

Thank you very much. I was about to spend $400 in additional travel expense for two. I'm waiting for their email now with hopes of saving a lot of money and trouble.

This is of great value.

Mike

168699[/snapback]

Ok, the price is $160 for regular 7-9 day processing

$189 for Express 5-6 day processing

$219 for Rush 3-4 business day processing.

Even the Rush I need is still cheaper than flying two people from Nanning to Guangzhou, which was the plan.

Thanks a million.

Mike

You probably already know this, but once you file the I-130 for the CR-1 visa (assuming you get married), your new wife can come over after you file for a get the K-3 visa. In many countries, the K-3 is issued very quickly so it's a nice thing, but not so in China where getting the K-3 visa sometimes takes longer than getting the CR-1 visa. As a result, whether you decide to get married or bring you SO over as your fiancee on a K-1 visa, you've got quite a wait. Welcome to Candle and good luck.

Welcome Steve.

I agree with what was offered by Jin Julian -- you might explore the K-1 visa process since it is known to be a bit quicker and pursuing it will give you and your new friend time to see how your relationship develops.

I am probably a bit out-of-center here in believeing that relationships are relationships, even Chinese-American ones.  The exotic part wears off in time, and you are left with what you are: a man and a woman.  And the rules that govern all such relationships apply in these.  Intimacy, commitment, respect, humor, love -- all of these are the commodities of success. 

These things take time to develop and it takes time to see IF they will develop.

168691[/snapback]

This is some pretty good advice. The decision as to whether to go K-1 or K-3 is purely a personal one. If you look at it from a purely practical point of view K-1 makes more sense. It is faster, less fees, less paperwork, easier to get the beneficiary a social security #, change her name to her married name etc.

Many people need the security of marriage or it is important to their family.

Good luck you came to ther right place.