Pacair range hood

We also have a vents-inside fan on the microwave above the electric stove. We have done almost exactly what jim_j said.

The move to less "fried" foods took a natural course when my wife decided it was "healthier" not to cook so much fried stuff.

Still, given the option of spending $600 plus installation to install an outside vent, we can live with what we've got. Now, if money wasn't a mop slap deal breaker I would have changed the day we moved.

Still, it's nice to see a recommended source for these things.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

760 CFM. Think that will do it?

Putting things in containers just won't happen I think. Too many dirty dishes makes for extra work and some things HAVE to be left out in the open with no cover. I don't interfere because usually there is little smell.

Now when she is brewing some long term soy bean something that has to sit for several months, that is another story. I am thinking of a prep room for such tasks and the weeds and other raw material she likes to drag in the house. She may be high tech and all, but her Mom was a farm girl and trained her well.

760 CFM. Think that will do it?

Putting things in containers just won't happen I think. Too many dirty dishes makes for extra work and some things HAVE to be left out in the open with no cover. I don't interfere because usually there is little smell.

Now when she is brewing some long term soy bean something that has to sit for several months, that is another story. I am thinking of a prep room for such tasks and the weeds and other raw material she likes to drag in the house. She may be high tech and all, but her Mom was a farm girl and trained her well.

Ya, you need a prep room. In the kitchens I saw last month, was a prep area / balcony thingie next to the kitchen. If you have a mud room in one of your houses, you can convert it to Prep Room ?

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to announce that the Pacair exhaust fan that I ordered was finally installed last week.

After weeks of procrastination and a lot of mental telepathy I finally gave up on the fact that it wasn¡¯t going to install itself. So I called a worker and had him scheduled to come over to install it.

The worker that I hired finally showed up late as usual (Me) and decided to accomplish this feat with a limited amount of space. For those of you with the lack of tools or experience, I highly recommend hiring someone to do it for you. I would estimate that they might charge between $200 - $300 installation fees¡­

It took me literally 4 hours to install mainly because the fan itself measured 36¡¯ exactly and the existing cabinets had to be cut in order for it to fit properly. The space in which I had to get any kind of power tool into was around 2 inches, thus more time required than usually.

I have several Chinese neighbors who have had this done in our neighborhood and after discussing this with them seeing what they did I found that they had the 30¡± model installed which meant that it had gaps on other side and it looked funny.

Thank God for Dremel tools. I was able to purchase a couple of different cutting accessories with one included a circle saw that helped cut away the existing cabinet away which was located way up inside. I also had to deal with the fact that the cabinets were also secured to the wall pretty good and had been tiled in.

http://i25.tinypic.com/iveaon.jpg

As you can see here I was happy with the end results and the wife was extremely happy too. :P Now I can come home from work and the house doesn¡¯t smell like a fish market after she cooks. The 760 CFM fans will literally suck the grease out of the frying pans. Since we live in a two story house and because of the location of the stove, the vent is actually ducted in such a way that runs around 25 feet before it exists to the outside. On the outside of the house there is a vent with a plastic flap that supposed to open when the fan is on. I never saw it open until after we put the Pacair exhaust fan in.

For those that are interested, here is their website. This is the manufacture and they were happy to sell it direct.

PACAIR

p.s. - This item is not for the cheap at heart!

My installation was not to bad, fairly easy, if people pay me $300 for every install and could do these 40 hours a week tha would make a good paycheck as you can do one in about 2 hours, it just takes alittle while to figure out where all the parts go :P

My installation was not to bad, fairly easy, if people pay me $300 for every install and could do these 40 hours a week tha would make a good paycheck as you can do one in about 2 hours, it just takes alittle while to figure out where all the parts go <_<

I agree with ya...especially if you are remodeling and have the opportunity to do it while the cabinets are going up. The problem I see with making a full time job is not everyone will pay $600 for a range hood. By the way, how's your working?

Of course after I finished installing mine someone came along and told me I could have put an exhaust on the outside of the house to suck the smoke out... :angry:

However I don¡¯t see it being as efficient as the one sitting over the stove top! ;)

My installation was not to bad, fairly easy, if people pay me $300 for every install and could do these 40 hours a week tha would make a good paycheck as you can do one in about 2 hours, it just takes alittle while to figure out where all the parts go <_<

I agree with ya...especially if you are remodeling and have the opportunity to do it while the cabinets are going up. The problem I see with making a full time job is not everyone will pay $600 for a range hood. By the way, how's your working?

Of course after I finished installing mine someone came along and told me I could have put an exhaust on the outside of the house to suck the smoke out... :angry:

However I don¡¯t see it being as efficient as the one sitting over the stove top! ;)

Over the stove works better.

Have you tried the levitating bowling ball yet? You need a 16 pound bowling ball, place it on the stove and turn both fans on high. If you installed it correctly it will hover about 12 inchs above the cooktop. ;)

Over the stove works better.

Have you tried the levitating bowling ball yet? You need a 16 pound bowling ball, place it on the stove and turn both fans on high. If you installed it correctly it will hover about 12 inchs above the cooktop. ;)

Yea right!

But I did take the cover off one side and put a glass top from one the frying pans up there to see if it would stick...and it did so I gues I did install it right! ;)

I am happy to announce that the Pacair exhaust fan that I ordered was finally installed last week.

After weeks of procrastination and a lot of mental telepathy I finally gave up on the fact that it wasn¡¯t going to install itself. So I called a worker and had him scheduled to come over to install it.

The worker that I hired finally showed up late as usual (Me) and decided to accomplish this feat with a limited amount of space. For those of you with the lack of tools or experience, I highly recommend hiring someone to do it for you. I would estimate that they might charge between $200 - $300 installation fees¡­

It took me literally 4 hours to install mainly because the fan itself measured 36¡¯ exactly and the existing cabinets had to be cut in order for it to fit properly. The space in which I had to get any kind of power tool into was around 2 inches, thus more time required than usually.

I have several Chinese neighbors who have had this done in our neighborhood and after discussing this with them seeing what they did I found that they had the 30¡± model installed which meant that it had gaps on other side and it looked funny.

Thank God for Dremel tools. I was able to purchase a couple of different cutting accessories with one included a circle saw that helped cut away the existing cabinet away which was located way up inside. I also had to deal with the fact that the cabinets were also secured to the wall pretty good and had been tiled in.

http://i25.tinypic.com/iveaon.jpg

As you can see here I was happy with the end results and the wife was extremely happy too. :pash: Now I can come home from work and the house doesn¡¯t smell like a fish market after she cooks. The 760 CFM fans will literally suck the grease out of the frying pans. Since we live in a two story house and because of the location of the stove, the vent is actually ducted in such a way that runs around 25 feet before it exists to the outside. On the outside of the house there is a vent with a plastic flap that supposed to open when the fan is on. I never saw it open until after we put the Pacair exhaust fan in.

For those that are interested, here is their website. This is the manufacture and they were happy to sell it direct.

PACAIR

p.s. - This item is not for the cheap at heart!

Wow !! This is really cool !!! And a genuine Corian countertop too !! :)

"Suck the grease right out of the pan" !!! Now that is funny !! :lol:

I remember when I had Corian countertops in my home........ :(

Now my 'ex' has the Corian................ B)

But now I am so very happy with my Formica countertops, and my lovely Lao Po. :D Maybe next year I can afford to get a couple of those GE-Turbo Fan, Suck-Master engines over my stove ??? :lol:

So how loud is it, and does it have different fan speed settings?

The Exahaust hood has two fans and two speeds that are independent of each other. Any fan that runs 760 CFM is going to make some noise, however I am told this is 3rd generation from this company and it¡¯s not as loud as others that I saw demonstrated.

The unit that cam with our house was a Braun - a piece of junk. I can¡¯t believe they even put it in. Maybe $50 at your local Home Depot and was (if lucky) 69-70 CFM. A trick I learned when using the old exhaust hood was to crack open a window in the vicinity of the fan to help it flow better.

I'm not trying to sell this unit however I do like cook myself and be able to cook anything in the house without having it smell the same way for 5 days is great.

The Exahaust hood has two fans and two speeds that are independent of each other. Any fan that runs 760 CFM is going to make some noise, however I am told this is 3rd generation from this company and it¡¯s not as loud as others that I saw demonstrated.

The unit that cam with our house was a Braun - a piece of junk. I can¡¯t believe they even put it in. Maybe $50 at your local Home Depot and was (if lucky) 69-70 CFM. A trick I learned when using the old exhaust hood was to crack open a window in the vicinity of the fan to help it flow better.

I'm not trying to sell this unit however I do like cook myself and be able to cook anything in the house without having it smell the same way for 5 days is great.

The hood I have now isn't too bad, but it's not that good either. And the fan must be doing something, since I cleaned the screen and it was pretty greasy. But what kills me is the noise of the fan!

The hood I have now isn't too bad, but it's not that good either. And the fan must be doing something, since I cleaned the screen and it was pretty greasy. But what kills me is the noise of the fan!

The standard Braun units are about 200 cfm, we even tried a 300 cfm unit and found they are not capable of the volume of vapor coming off a wok, they were designed for American style cooking. Also they don't extend far enough over the cooktop surface to catch the vapor when cooking on the front burners.

This unit works great, we've had ours for over 2 years now and it helps to keep the kitchen much cleaner.

Buy "Simple Green" by the gallon for cleaning the kitchen, it breaks down the grease better than most and is not a mixture of dangerous chemicals.