when visiting SO-regristering with the police

I am going back to see My SO in Zhanjiang and I understand that I should register with the local police there when I arrive .

Has anyone had experiences with this . :P

I avoided this on a previous visit by staying at a Hotel ,but since we are now engaged it would be a real waste of money to do so.

Any advice will be appreciated

Richard :whistling:

That's the law. There is a fairly hefty fine if caught unregistered. Take your SO with you, it takes less than 10 minutes.

157438[/snapback]

Is there a Fee for registering ?

Anything special to take there other than my pasport and the SO's Home registery book ? :ok:

157440[/snapback]

Hi, No there is no fee and just take passport and her I.D. I was in china for 8 months with my wife and had no prblem.Good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

Dan M

Jingwen is from Zhanjiang, and she said that it's only a problem if the neighbors or p.o.'ed friends raise the issue with the police. The "costs" can be stiff if the police arrive and see an American - don't know how much, other than "a lot of money".

Jingwen once told me that our ceremonial wedding was enough to convince anybody that we were married. Of course, now it's no problem, and it wasn't a problem during any of my previous trips before she came to the US. Maybe I dodged a bullet, but I had 3,245,673 ceremonial wedding pictures just in case. :angry:

Where in Zhanjiang is your SO? Jingwen is from the Xiashan district.

Hey I was in Zhanjiang--no one told me anything about this. You mean I could've been fined a bunch of money? For what? What if I don't have money? Frank are you saying you have to prove you're married? So there's a fine for being with a chinese girl in Zhanjiang if you're not married? :angry: why no one asks why??

Jingwen is from Zhanjiang, and she said that it's only a problem if the neighbors or p.o.'ed friends raise the issue with the police.  The "costs" can be stiff if the police arrive and see an American - don't know how much, other than "a lot of money".

Jingwen once told me that our ceremonial wedding was enough to convince anybody that we were married.  Of course, now it's no problem, and it wasn't a problem during any of my previous trips before she came to the US.  Maybe I dodged a bullet, but I had 3,245,673 ceremonial wedding pictures just in case. ;)

Where in Zhanjiang is your SO?  Jingwen is from the Xiashan district.

157461[/snapback]

B) She teaches English at the college there , considering that every time I am there I stickout like a sorethumb 5'11" blonde hair , blue eyes- lots of stares from the folks there :lol: , I had better do everything Right.

She has a house there on the campus - it seems that everybody knows our business , so there is absolutely zero chance of me being there and not having at least half the town knowing I am there . :lol:

Jingwen is from Zhanjiang, and she said that it's only a problem if the neighbors or p.o.'ed friends raise the issue with the police.  The "costs" can be stiff if the police arrive and see an American - don't know how much, other than "a lot of money".

Jingwen once told me that our ceremonial wedding was enough to convince anybody that we were married.  Of course, now it's no problem, and it wasn't a problem during any of my previous trips before she came to the US.  Maybe I dodged a bullet, but I had 3,245,673 ceremonial wedding pictures just in case. :lol:

Where in Zhanjiang is your SO?  Jingwen is from the Xiashan district.

157461[/snapback]

Frank, so if married not necessary to register?

Hey I was in Zhanjiang--no one told me anything about this. You mean I could've been fined a bunch of money?  For what? What if I don't have money? Frank are you saying you have to prove you're married? So there's a fine for being with a chinese girl in Zhanjiang if you're not married?  :huh: why no one asks why??

157474[/snapback]

Jingwen told me it's a throwback to the prostitution laws. A woman together with a man (not married) is assumed to be a prostitute.

Hey I was in Zhanjiang--no one told me anything about this. You mean I could've been fined a bunch of money?  For what? What if I don't have money? Frank are you saying you have to prove you're married? So there's a fine for being with a chinese girl in Zhanjiang if you're not married?  :huh: why no one asks why??

157474[/snapback]

Jingwen told me it's a throwback to the prostitution laws. A woman together with a man (not married) is assumed to be a prostitute.

157507[/snapback]

Oh you mean blackmailed not fined.

I was told that in any city in china, an obvious foreigner with a chinese girl is a target for a scam. The hotel counter person is in on it. You check in, they wait until 3 am, then call police. They see you together, and if you do not have the "red book", to show you are married, you will pay. The police have the amount figured out already, and some goes to the counter person for the lead, and either you pay or she may get a ticket, which would not look good at visa time at the consulate, and they are betting on that.

So the register game may only help you if those cops aren't corrupt as well.

I've read about this too. Consider this as well. If Jingwen is correct in saying that the registration is linked to the prostitution laws, imagine what the effect would be on the visa process if your SO had to disclose an arrest/conviction when applying for a visa. What do you think the VO's reaction might be?

When my lady and I were first dating we had some problems checking into some hotels in Xi'an. We where on vacation there and a lot of the staff flat out denied booking us a room because we weren't married. That was at the beginning of 2002.

In southern China, however doesen't really matter.

Do register, though. This last summer, I was doing some part time teaching at various schools schools in my wife's home town. I was very popular and as a result, because I was unable to do classes at every school that wanted me, I was reported to the local police. They arrived at my in-laws home, drove my wife and I down to the police station and interregated us for around 2 hours. At the same time, they were asking the principal of the school that I was doing most of my classes at some of the same questions in a different room.

Luckly, he and I had discussed an excuse in the unlikely event that the police found out about my "illegal" teaching. We just said that I was visiting my wife who also worked there.

Anyway, they couldn't fine us anything, even though everybody in the whole town knew that I was teaching. But about 2 days later, they finally did come up with a way for us to pay. I had neglected to register at the local police station, so I had to pay a fine of 300RMB.

So. Register!

When my lady and I were first dating we had some problems checking into some hotels in Xi'an. We where on vacation there and a lot of the staff flat out denied booking us a room because we weren't married. That was at the beginning of 2002.

In southern China, however doesen't really matter.

Do register, though. This last summer, I was doing some part time teaching at various schools schools in my wife's home town. I was very popular and as a result, because I was unable to do classes at every school that wanted me, I was reported to the local police. They arrived at my in-laws home, drove my wife and I down to the police station and interregated us for around 2 hours. At the same time, they were asking the principal of the school that I was doing most of my classes at some of the same questions in a different room. 

Luckly, he and I had discussed an excuse in the unlikely event that the police found out about my "illegal" teaching. We just said that I was visiting my wife who also worked there.

Anyway, they couldn't fine us anything, even though everybody in the whole town knew that I was teaching. But about 2 days later, they finally did come up with a way for us to pay. I had neglected to register at the local police station, so I had to pay a fine of 300RMB.

So. Register!

157994[/snapback]

That is interesting to hear that you were turned in for lecturing , I assume it was free gratus !

I quess another can not do which I have also broken :rolleyes:

Oh well !!!

I believe it is solely to keep track of foriegners as it does not matter who your are visiting or even if you are visiting someone.

In any case it is a good idea as it lets the cops know who you are if you have an accident.

There is no fee but it took awhile and we had to go back the next day as they could not find the form

It appears that any little police station can do it. Easily identified by all the cop cars around it