Short layover time in LA............

Hello All,

My trip next week to China is quite different than previous flights - Primarily because I choose to fly Delta this time. NWA really pissed me off last trip!!!

My concern is this: I only have about 50 minutes to connect to my next flight in LA!!! This has me a bit worried. Does anybody have any first hand experience on a connection in LA of only 50 minutes? Am I going to be able to make the flight?

What worries me is that it takes so long to load and unload a 747..... and I arive and depart both on 747's!

How close together should the terminals be?

What are the chances (odds) of me missing my connecting flight in LA?

What should I do to better my odds?

Thanks,

m-coon

50 minutes is not a lot of time, regardless of the airport, but you will most likely be in same terminal and they have booked you with the confidence they can meet the time allowance. Your other choice is to tell them you want later flight from LA, but no telling what the cost would be or the lay over time...

good luck and enjoy your trip when you take it!

You will have to go from the national flight arrival terminals to the Intenational departures at Terminal 1. Dont try and take the bus it takes forever, but a brisk walk will get you there in 10 minutes.

You have not left yourself much time as getting through the security at Terminal 1 is no small task. I always allow 3 hours for this flight connection.

Good Luck

Inform the airline help on the plane that you have a connection to make at the time it is, and they will probably let you depart the plane ahead of others. As soon as you get off the plane ask the Delta counter help for walking directions and maybe have them inform the departing counter help that you are on your way.

It's very possible that you will arrive and depart from the same terminal, terminal 5, even though one is domestic and one international. Delta and China Southern both fly from this terminal and I think Delta and China Southern are code share airlines. You can verify this by calling Delta.

Even if you are booked out of the Bradley International terminal, Delta will know that there is one passenger transfering from a connecting flight and if need be, they will let the international flight sit at the gate until you get there!!!

Good luck!! Wish I was going with you (with my SO, of course!!!) ;)

I'm in and out of LAX a lot but never on the connection you have. Based on a lot of international flying I'd say it's too tight for sure.

It might be acceptable if you're willing to deal with baggage missing the flight. Some factors to consider are:

- do you have an additional domestic flight when you get to China?

- what is the impact if you go 2-3 days without your bags (my international record is 8)

I wouldn't count on them holding the outbound flight for you ... and certainly not for your bags.

I would first call the airline for the terminal and transfer information. If the flights are in different terminals you have no chance of making the transfer. Security check makes that impossible. If they are the same terminal and the airline will get you through security since you are in transit, you have a chance. Speak with the airline about it. Delta and China Southern being codeshare partners might make it workable.

If you don't like being under intense pressure I would recommend changing flights.

Good luck

you shouldn't have to go through security again unless you leave the secured area.....

Thanks All,

I was so worried about this (after reading the comments here) that I called Delta and discussed it with them. They changed my tickets (free of charge) and gave me earlier flights into LA - so now I have almost a full 3 hours layover in LA........ I feel much better now!!! I would not have done this if you guys had not agreed with me and confirmed my concern - Thanks so much for giving me that extra "push" I needed to act on this problem.

Scott

(m-coon)

When I went to China last year I flew United From Austin, Texas via San Francisco. Even though I had about a two hour layover, I stopped at one of the United counters in the domestic area, mainly to ask directions. The agent asked me for my name and asked me if I was on an electronic ticket. When I said yes, she asked for my passport and visa and proceded to print off my boarding pass right there. This saved me quite of bit of waiting time in line at the actual gate for my flight. You might let the airline know your situation and they will try to get you to your flight much quicker.

I have made several connections in LA, and would only be comfortable with such a short layover if they were domestic flights.

Going international, you will very likely have to go through security again. I've had experience going international with a connection at LAX, going to Asia, Australia, and Europe, and they all took a lot of time and included a second security check. Also, LAX can get very hectic.

Glad to hear you got it extended to 3 hours!

I'm guessing you have the midnight flight to GZ, Delta code share flight with China Southern CZ32x? Delta and CS share the same terminal so you shouldn't have to go through security. 50 min doesn't count for much weather though and the next flight is 24 hours away.

Note about that terminal. It ain't Atlanta. It's only 10 or so gates and they roll the sidewalks up at 9 or 10 pm. Make sure you are covered with food and refreshments fo the wait.

m-coon, just gots to get my two cents in here. As previously stated above, if ur flying China Southern to China, as we Sicilian would say, "Don worried about it!!" I flew Delta from Tampa to LAX and then transferred to China Southern.....maybe I had to walk a couple 100 yards to China Southern's ticket counter from where I got off from my Tampa flight. However, I do believe I had to go back through security again. But, that time of night I had to wake up our fine TSA people.