My stepdaughter uses QQ a LOT. It is loaded with adware etc. Doesn't seem to hurt to much but combined with several other Chinese websites it slwed down my computer tremnedously. I bought a new one and networked them--she isn't allowed on the new one.

by corrupted do you mean they charactors changed into those goofy looking symbols? If so go to 'view'---'encoding'-'Chinese symplified'

Jingwen and the kids tried several sites before they found one that didn't require and night's sleep while downloading. I asked them which site they used, and they don't remember. Have you tried the tencent website?

One thing I found about QQ, is that you better have very good spyware and good virus protection - not necessarily because of QQ itself but because of all the crap that seems to come from Chinese websites.

Yes the characters are goofy looking symbols.  But this is when the program is started.  There is no 'view' to do, like if I were in IE.  Do you have a fast enough connection that you can email me the .exe file?

154997[/snapback]

In XP go to control panel - regional and language settings, and set the encoding for non-unicode characters to Chinese. This may screw up the install (dialogs) on some english language programs, but it is easy to switch back and forth.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes the characters are goofy looking symbols.  But this is when the program is started.  There is no 'view' to do, like if I were in IE.  Do you have a fast enough connection that you can email me the .exe file?

154997[/snapback]

In XP go to control panel - regional and language settings, and set the encoding for non-unicode characters to Chinese. This may screw up the install (dialogs) on some english language programs, but it is easy to switch back and forth.

155013[/snapback]

I recently did this.. reinstalled chinese QQ.

First followed the comment below. Deleted QQ from computer.. re-installed after the regional setting was applied... then it worked fine...