what chinese customs allows?

Both trips to China, I brought lots of candy,crackers, oatmeal... after having my passport checked and stamped was allowed to enter with no problem.. Never saw anyone opting for the "Red , I have something to declare line"... in fact both times, there were no officers even at the desks by the declaration lines.. We all walked into China with no problems....The easiest customs ever... Now coming back into the USA, prepare for that oral cavity search! and take those shoes off :)

i usually have it written all over my face.....

CHECK THIS GUYS BAGS he has lotsa DVD's inside, but ive been lucky as well...

Beijing took away some chinese liquor on the way home once...her mom stashed in my bag without me knowing....i was like....i dont know where that came from <_<

never been checked in beijing coming in though

China does not allow liquids for carry on. No country allows meat or poultry items to pass. Sauces commercially packaged and sealed as check through are allowed by all countries. Fruits and vegetables simply dried and not pickled or otherwise processed are not allowed to cross international borders or U.S. counties or states when posted.

No country allows meat or poultry items to pass.

146519[/snapback]

One of the "pile it on" gifts I got from the relatives upon my departure from China was a package of dried beef. I declared it and was asked about it at LAX. When I said it was commercially packaged and still in the package they didn't even want to look at it.

Next time I think I will stage a "secret" departure to gracefully duck all the departure gifts! :lol:

I brought in some Pepperoni, Reggiano-Parmesan Cheese, two cans of tomato sauce, one bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, some dried herbs and a box of pasta. My SO and her family never ate Italian food. Anyway, no problem. I said nothing - they never asked. Oh and a small cheese grater. B)

I brought in some Pepperoni, Reggiano-Parmesan Cheese, two cans of tomato sauce, one bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, some dried herbs and a box of pasta.  My SO and her family never ate Italian food.  Anyway, no problem.  I said nothing - they never asked.  Oh and a small cheese grater. B)

146731[/snapback]

They have new declaration forms as of July 1 (that everyone must fill out), but I believe they don't ask about food.

I brought in some Pepperoni, Reggiano-Parmesan Cheese, two cans of tomato sauce, one bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, some dried herbs and a box of pasta.  My SO and her family never ate Italian food.  Anyway, no problem.  I said nothing - they never asked.  Oh and a small cheese grater. B)

146731[/snapback]

They have new declaration forms as of July 1 (that everyone must fill out), but I believe they don't ask about food.

146735[/snapback]

correct, the form that I filled out ,(June 29th), ask about meats, fruits and veggies or something like that. My thinking was it must be raw meats, fruits and veggies. So I checked no to the question. If searched and ask that would of been my response as the items of food I was bringing in. I considered these items to be already processed. However, coming back through US custom is another story altogether.

146731[/snapback]

so you turned her family on to some real sauce huh?

very nice... :P

we were at a decent italian restaurant last weekend in beijing called La Dolce Vita

I'll expand this question...what's other good "American" stuff to bring?

I think US candy is terrible (to sweet) most foods are bad (too much sugar) and other stuff is just plain nasty or bland. Americans know how to barbecue well...and that's about it...

What I like to eat I usually pick up at the Southeast Asian or Korean markets around here. Also the Ukrainian grocery down the street or the German deli by work.

On another note about getting things "stashed", my grandmother used to sneak packed hams and cheese and wine bottles and coffee and such into our luggage when we would come back from Germany. The US customs agents don't really have much of a sense of humour about these sorts of things.

The biggest complaint I had about my last trip to China was the harassment I got from US customs (Minneapolis). Hopefully San Fran will be nicer about that.

Edited by bnolsen (see edit history)

I think US candy is terrible (to sweet) most foods are bad (too much sugar) and other stuff is just plain nasty or bland.  Americans know how to barbecue well...and that's about it...

What I like to eat I usually pick up at the Southeast Asian or Korean markets around here.  Also the Ukrainian grocery down the street or the German deli by work.

On another note about getting things "stashed", my grandmother used to sneak packed hams and cheese and wine bottles and coffee and such into our luggage when we would come back from Germany.  The US customs agents don't really have much of a sense of humour about these sorts of things.

The biggest complaint I had about my last trip to China was the harassment I got from US customs (Minneapolis).  Hopefully San Fran will be nicer about that.

146760[/snapback]

ahhh yes, we Americans love our bbq's and we do it well. Therefore, I am working on how to get a grill and charcoal pass the Chinese Custom Officers :ph34r: :D

I think US candy is terrible (to sweet) most foods are bad (too much sugar) and other stuff is just plain nasty or bland.  Americans know how to barbecue well...and that's about it...

What I like to eat I usually pick up at the Southeast Asian or Korean markets around here.  Also the Ukrainian grocery down the street or the German deli by work.

On another note about getting things "stashed", my grandmother used to sneak packed hams and cheese and wine bottles and coffee and such into our luggage when we would come back from Germany.  The US customs agents don't really have much of a sense of humour about these sorts of things.

The biggest complaint I had about my last trip to China was the harassment I got from US customs (Minneapolis).  Hopefully San Fran will be nicer about that.

146760[/snapback]

ahhh yes, we Americans love our bbq's and we do it well. Therefore, I am working on how to get a grill and charcoal pass the Chinese Custom Officers B) :(

146762[/snapback]

ship it ups