Have to agree with B. Jones and Frank1538. Took Yin to Pizza Hut. She smelled the Pizza one time, and asked if pizzas in US also had chesse. I told her that they do. She promptly stated that it Cheese) and the pizza both stink. She then vowed that she would never touch cheese in any fashion or form.

Frank, kind of curious though. I fully concur with your observations. Fom my travels in the Orient, many of the people are lactose intolerant and do not like dairy products. Strangely, Yin drinks milk about two or three times a day.

I had some really good cheese sent to me from the US while we were living in China. I will never forget the look on my husband face when he tried it, he said it was the worst thing he ever ate. Now when we talk about if he can get used to the food here he always says he can eat anything except cheese.

I remember when I first came to china back in 2000. I stayed for about a year teaching English. I didn't drink any milk during my stay because it was all whole milk, stored at room temperature and nasty.

Upon my return to the states, I drank milk again with a new found joy

...but boy was my body intolerant...I had the splatters for about a month.

There are two conditions related to diary (cow's milk). 1. Intolerance to lactose and 2. allergic to the milk proteins. People with either can eat yoghurt because the process alters both. They can also eat goat cheese (feta is one). Cheese was Europes answer to preserving milk and Yoghurt was Asia's.

Outside of Western Europe few people ate cow's milk cheese. Other regions use mostly goat, mare or yak milk. Both yoghurt and cheese were means of preserving milk before refrigerators. I keep cheese in a cheese keeper on the kitchen counter. Chilling it drasticly effects flavor.

20 years ago 10% of Americans were dairy intolerant. Today with more Asians here the % is 12 and rising. Dairy intolerance was discovered in Hawaii where Asians first came in contact with an American diet. Fresh milk and cream were not in wide spread use until the 1940's and refrigerated distribution.

In my case milk or cream of cows makes me violently ill for up to 2 hours. This can include nondairy creamer which by FDA decision may contain the milk product casinate. If after eating things made with milk your SO gets the sniffles or keeps spitting or swallowing mucous, that is the symptom. Be sure they avoid common things made with milk like iceing, ice cream, battered fried food, buttermilk bisquits and mashed potatoes. It at best is uncomfortable and at worse fatal and you never know how the reaction will be. The lungs can fill with mucous and the throat constrict requiring trachiotomy and lung suction with oxygen. Or it will just be very embarassing as the body rejects the toxin by violent heaves. Luckily I have never gone beyond a point where I can't breath on my own.

Any allergy is serious stuff precautions must be taken. For Americans with an allergy to sesame seed or soy Asian foods also pose risks.

Ying told me that she at one time lived and worked part of the year in Russia. because of that she has a more western outlook than other Chinese do. She says she likes Cheese and other western style foods, but she still does not like coffee. Oh well, such is life.

He doesn't like to eat straight up cheese, but if I cook it into a sauce, like when I make homemade mac n cheese, he'll eat it though he doesn't love it as much as I do.

He hasn't experienced many varieties yet though since it's hard to get different kinds here.

He does drink a lot of milk and yogurt.

In GZ we went to an Italian restaurant and he had lasagna- said it was the worst thing he has ever tasted- too much cheese.

He doesn't like to eat straight up cheese, but if I cook it into a sauce, like when I make homemade mac n cheese, he'll eat it though he doesn't love it as much as I do.

He hasn't experienced many varieties yet though since it's hard to get different kinds here.

He does drink a lot of milk and yogurt.

In GZ we went to an Italian restaurant and he had lasagna- said it was the worst thing he has ever tasted- too much cheese.

148728[/snapback]

you're just going to corrupt him into a cheese freak, aren't you Amber...I can just see him ordering those nachos and cheese soon...