Interactive ESL site on CFL???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for explaining words and usage in English rather than Chinese is that it helps implant the usage and language. I used Longman's English Dictionary in classes and strongly recommend it. It uses limited vocabulary in the definitions and is designed for ESL students. I use it myself. If the level of English is minimal Longman has a picture dictionary that teaches basic vocabulary for many types of activities.

142629[/snapback]

The picture dictionary is a GREAT help. I bought a Chinese-English picture dictionary in one of the big US bookstores ... it may have been the one Dan is referring to. Maybe 200 pages of cartoon like presentation with Chinese and English plus extra teaching points. My lao po literally spent 5-6 hours a day on it quizing me about pronounciation and filling countless pages with copied words and phrases. It really kick started her vocabulary.

And made me love her all the more when I observed the tremendous effort she was expending.

:greenblob:

You may want to check this site as they seem to have

a few products of interest.

http://esl.net/talk_now.html

142793[/snapback]

The headline product is indeed a misnomer. It uses the phrase ESL as if it meant what we think it means --English as a Second Language but in reality of the fifty languages it lists English is not one of them. Further reading indicated that it is for those who Already speak English and want to be learn basics of one of the fifty listed.

SOooo, the term ESL is definitely a misnomer and certainly misleading.

Whatcha think?

You may want to check this site as they seem to have

a few products of interest.

http://esl.net/talk_now.html

142793[/snapback]

The headline product is indeed a misnomer. It uses the phrase ESL as if it meant what we think it means --English as a Second Language but in reality of the fifty languages it lists English is not one of them. Further reading indicated that it is for those who Already speak English and want to be learn basics of one of the fifty listed.

SOooo, the term ESL is definitely a misnomer and certainly misleading.

Whatcha think?

142803[/snapback]

They only sell two versions of this product, from what I can tell:

1) British english

2) American english

All the languages listed are for "On-line help" in a native language (other than english) ... ergo, english would not be in that list... or else you would have on-line help in english about english...

Kinda like a Triggionary using another Triggionary to explain the first one. :P

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I did not read it as ESL. ESL would connote that you will be learning English from the other 50 languages and would not be learning any other language--hence the term ESL +ENGLISH as a second language. However, the reading says differently, it read as though you can learn any of the languages listed-English is not listed. The Example given was an English speaking person who learned Italian for a trip to Rome. If you learned Italian it would be ISL.

Maybe I'm misreading it but this does not appear to be a method to learn English but rather a way to learn several other languages if you are already an English speaker.

One of you city boys wanna read this and translate for we poor ole country folk?!?!

This link is to purchase: Talk Now! for ESL

So to learn english.. offered with help in your native language.. those listed.

The review is for: Talk Now! Italian

Which is a different "talk now!" product... so yes, misleading to review another product.

Seems this is ESL.. to learn english...

The main difference in teaching ESL to people of different languages is in pronunciation. That wont be an issue here as that can only be taught in person by teaching lip and tongue positioning. This was my most frequently taught class and I can help with this if there are questions about making certain sounds. Sentence structure is influenced by the native language habits but is easily over come.

I often had in the same classes students speaking Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Arabic. The point of ESL that differs from bilingual education the most is that ESL is not dependent on the native language for learning. This quickly teaches the thought system of the new language. Thus there should be little influence from the native language in using English. It is very important to start as quickly as possible using an English only dictionary. Translation dictionaries between any major language groups can not impart accurate meaning leading to much time being spent on unlearning what is being learned.

I recommend this Longman Dictionary from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080...6685764-3641434

The main difference in teaching ESL to people of different languages is in pronunciation. That wont be an issue here as that can only be taught in person by teaching lip and tongue positioning. This was my most frequently taught class and I can help with this if there are questions about making certain sounds. Sentence structure is influenced by the native language habits but is easily over come.

I often had in the same classes students speaking Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Arabic. The point of ESL that differs from bilingual education the most is that ESL is not dependent on the native language for learning. This quickly teaches the thought system of the new language. Thus there should be little influence from the native language in using English. It is very important to start as quickly as possible using an English only dictionary. Translation dictionaries between any major language groups can not impart accurate meaning leading to much time being spent on unlearning what is being learned.

I recommend this Longman Dictionary from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080...6685764-3641434

142862[/snapback]

While I agree with you about the immersion method of teaching ESL, I would hesitate to send her to a class full of Spanish speakers where she might get rapidly lost. There are new concepts to Chinese speakers (like tense, gender) which Spanish speakers are already familiar with, and ESL Chinese classes are also available.

Not understanding something when everyone else gets it right off can leave you feeling lost pretty quick.

my wife is taking classes now in preparation for coming to our home in Virginia, and studies very hard every day, and when we talk, I readily correct her misprounation, she thanks me every time!!