Hank, Here's what I did.

I set up a seperate savings for my wife under my account.

Have ATM cards made. When you get it set the PIN for her and mail it.

You don't need Bank of China to be yours or her's bank. The key is that the bank needs to be a part of the same network of banks.

Bank of China is a part of the Visa/PLUS ATM Network.

Look for this logo at your Bank. http://www.visadps.com/navs/links-04-on.gifhttp://www.visadps.com/navs/links-01-on.gifhttp://www.visadps.com/navs/links-03-on.gif

If your bank has this logo, your all set. She needs money? Run to the computer and put it there. There is a $2 charge from my bank for my wife to use the card when ever she needs it. Too easy!!!

Important: When you sign up for her account, just let them know what your intentions are. they'll help you out. After you recieve the card, call the fraud department and explain your situation. That's it.

136248[/snapback]

okay, great info, thanks, I will try it!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hank, Here's what I did.

You don't need Bank of China to be yours or her's bank. The key is that the bank needs to be a part of the same network of banks.

Look for this logo at your Bank. http://www.visadps.com/navs/links-04-on.gifhttp://www.visadps.com/navs/links-01-on.gifhttp://www.visadps.com/navs/links-03-on.gif

If your bank has this logo, your all set. She needs money? Run to the computer and put it there. There is a $2 charge from my bank for my wife to use the card when ever she needs it. Too easy!!!

Important: When you sign up for her account, just let them know what your intentions are. they'll help you out. After you recieve the card, call the fraud department and explain your situation. That's it.

136248[/snapback]

136901[/snapback]

That looks the best to me so far :lol: Thanx for the tip. Does it have to have the Interlink part?

Same question I was going to ask? The interlink thing is the stumper!

Same question I was going to ask?  The interlink thing is the stumper!

136923[/snapback]

I use IKOBO

They sent a debit card to my wife and every time I want to send her money I just go on line and they debit my account. The funds are available immediatly through any ATM in china.

Costs about 15 dollars for a 500 dollar transfer

136923[/snapback]

I use IKOBO

They sent a debit card to my wife and every time I want to send her money I just go on line and they debit my account. The funds are available immediatly through any ATM in china.

137348[/snapback]

its cheaper to send by Western Union.... at least from here in Northern Virginia....

If you guys don't mind another plug for PayPal -

Anyone with a PayPal account (used to transfer money to merchants or from buyers) is eligible to open a free Premier account. The Premier account offers an ATM/debit card which is free - no activation fee, no monthly fee, no non-usage fee - and charges only $1 per transfer, but with a limit of $400/day.

This is an excellent alternative for those of us who want to send a card to our SO which is NOT tied to an existing bank account, and is cheaper than bank cards and Western Union. To load money into the card, however, takes 3 or 4 days.

It is VISA, and works on any ATM on that network.

They will also issue a second card in your SO's name if you wish.

By the way, the $14 Western Union fee applies only if you carry cash to an agent location. Internet or phone transfers are MUCH more expensive.

Anyone with a PayPal account (used to transfer money to merchants or from buyers) is eligible to open a free Premier account. The Premier account offers an ATM/debit card which is free - no activation fee, no monthly fee, no non-usage fee - and charges only $1 per transfer, but with a limit of $400/day.

This is an excellent alternative for those of us who want to send a card to our SO which is NOT tied to an existing bank account, and is cheaper than bank cards and Western Union. To load money into the card, however, takes 3 or 4 days.

By the way, the $14 Western Union fee applies only if you carry cash to an agent location. Internet or phone transfers are MUCH more expensive.

137365[/snapback]

Randy,

okay, I am not fully convinced, but you have talked me into contacting them..... so... how do I contact them for this service?

BTW, glad I could help on that other issue you contacted me about!

137365[/snapback]

Randy,

okay, I am not fully convinced, but you have talked me into contacting them..... so... how do I contact them for this service?

BTW, glad I could help on that other issue you contacted me about!

137379[/snapback]

Hank,

here was one of the best discussions on Paypal we've had... thanks to Randy...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?sho...11466&hl=paypal

136923[/snapback]

I use IKOBO

137348[/snapback]

I had nightmares with Ikobo. For one thing the most the Bank of China would let my wife take out at one time on the IKOBO card was 1000 yuan. Second they would only let her take it out once a day. Third Ikobo wacked us 3 dollars every time she used it. Add it up 15 for the initial transfer + 12 dollars for the 4 times she would need to use it for the full 500 and that is 27 dollars for a 500 dollar transfer. Unless Ikobo has changed dramtically in the last year and a half I would stay away from them. Oh and the hassle I had when my wife tryed to use it twice in one day. The ATM wouldn't give her the money and the Bank of China charged us anyway. It took me 2 months to get my money back.

If you get her email set up as a paypal account you can transfer to her bank account from your paypal account. Currently they pay 3.22% on funds deposited.

If your bank is a direct international transfer bank then you can get a transfer account set up to debit your account by fax and send it to her China account. Mine charges a flat $28. Bank of China gives her the option of keeping dollars or changing to RMB.

Hank, Here's what I did.

136248[/snapback]

136901[/snapback]

That looks the best to me so far :whistling: Thanx for the tip. Does it have to have the Interlink part?

136912[/snapback]

There are actually 6 logo's to choose from. I just picked the most popular 3. It only needs to be one of them.

No minimum balance. She can use any bank that uses one of the 6 companys that are part of the network. $2 dollar service charge from my bank.

The concept is the same if I wanted to use my card from Bank of CA in a bank of NY, "or anywhere you want to be..." ATM machine.

I tried to set up a bank account for Amy when she was still in China so I could transfer money to her. Without 2 picture ID's and her appearing in person to sign the signature cards, I was turned away from every bank I tried. One of my banks would not even issue a 2nd ATM card to me (so I could send it to her) without voiding the first one. By the time I found a bank that would issue 2 cards to me, I was only a month away from going to China so I gave up on the idea.

Citi Bank has branches in the US and China and they have just made international transfers easy and cheap. If there is a Citi Bank near you, I would look into both of you getting an account there. Then she will have a card in her own name and the money gets transfered into her account within minutes with very little fees.