I did a quick review of the interviews I have.. only over the last few months did I annotate their dates.

So this is from the most recent 26 Interviews, most asked questions:

These first three routine:

1) May I have your passport

2) Who petitioned you / who is the petitioner

3) Do you speak english

how did you meet?.....................21

how many times does he visit?.....17

Can I see photos?......................17

Where does he work?..................13

Can I see I-134/taxes.................11

Divorce.....................................5 (10)

Correspondence..........................4

Can I see employer letter?............3

Are you communist?....................3

of note:

- Divorce usually drew two questions, so this came from five interviews.

- I-134 / Tax: About split down middle which one asked for.

I did a quick review of the interviews I have.. only over the last few months did I annotate their dates.

So this is from the most recent 26 Interviews, most asked questions:

These first three routine:

1) May I have your passport

2) Who petitioned you / who is the petitioner

3) Do you speak english

how did you meet?.....................21

how many times does he visit?.....17

Can I see photos?......................17

Where does he work?..................13

Can I see I-134/taxes.................11

Divorce.....................................5 (10)

Correspondence..........................4

Can I see employer letter?............3

Are you communist?....................3

of note: 

- Divorce usually drew two questions, so this came from five interviews.

- I-134 / Tax:  About split down middle which one asked for.

133957[/snapback]

David, I just want to say you are right on top of things and I printed this out and sent it to my girl in China because she always asks me "What will they ask me in the interview?"

Thanks

I should point out that some of them become a series of questions:

where did you meet ?

Which service?

How many times did he visit?

3 times

When was the last time?

Where does he work?

programmer

for who?

IBM

which city does he work in

---

The VO wants to see that the beneficiary demonstrates knowledge of the petitioner.. and either one having a divorce almost ALWAYS brings up questions.

---

These are just the just common questions... if the beneficiary has difficulty with english, then it's the other 2,000 possible questions which could cause her to slip up if she attempts the interview in english.

They look for answers, not long answers and not long thought. Some recommend that if the chinese beneficiary does the interview in english and gets confused on 'how to speak' the answer, to say it back in chinese without hesitation so the VO knows they have the answer.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Great information David. It's amazing the kind of useful things one can gleen by collecting statistics from all these posts. I for one appreciate that you've taken the time to compile them. I too will share these with my SO in China.

J & L

There's lots of great advice from those having done the interview:

- be organized in the paperwork so the beneficiary can hand over quickly what is asked. Separate small folders are recommended.

- Prepare the best pictures (ones with family are best, but be prepared to state who is in a picture.. if a US relative, make sure beneficiary knows who is who). Possibly prepare one picture of you two in traditional custom, like if you went to Yunnan.. The sight of a USC in chinese clothes usually brings a smile to a VO.

- Group photos and correspondence into early, middle , recent ... some have been asked to see "early pictures" or "recent correspondence".

- dress appropriately, nicely, like business casual

- be CONFIDENT, look in the VOs eyes. Usually the interview is quick and informal.. but has turns into an interrogative atmosphere. If asked about "why do you love him" or "why does he love you", state what you feel. Don't withhold a little personal feeling if that is what the VO wants.

- Be the first to say "good afternoon" with a smile and get the first jitters to calm down.

- When asked for passport, give petitioner passport as well, particularly if he is there to establish this.

- Answer directly and simply. If it is not enough, the VO will ask more.

- If you don't understand, just say so and ask to repeat the question, don't quess at it (and never lie).

- IF asked for financial info, I would give it all to them.. with the one asked on top. (I-134, employer letter, taxes with W2, bank letter). They cannot say you did not provide the right financial document then.

- If a child is present, they often are not asked any questions.. just let the child know to sit by quickly unless directly spoken to.

- If your child will follow later, state this so that the visa packet is broken into two packets.

- If you get a denial slip, be aware that overcome evidence is almost always going to get you the visa... Just get what they ask for.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

Prepare the best pictures (ones with family are best, but be prepared to state who is in a picture.. if a US relative, make sure beneficiary knows who is who). Possibly prepare one picture of you two in traditional custom, like if you went to Yunnan.. The sight of a USC in chinese clothes usually brings a smile to a VO.

- Group photos and correspondence into early, middle , recent ... some have been asked to see "early pictures" or "recent correspondence".

I was told that it was good to have photos of well a known place, lke the Great Wall, Temple of Heaven,etc...in the backround.

I met my SO at a disco in Xian over 3 years ago, I can not recall the name of the place but I think she could. Would they ask "what place you met?"

Prepare the best pictures (ones with family are best, but be prepared to state who is in a picture.. if a US relative, make sure beneficiary knows who is who). Possibly prepare one picture of you two in traditional custom, like if you went to Yunnan.. The sight of a USC in chinese clothes usually brings a smile to a VO.

I was told that it was good to have photos of well a known place, lke the Great Wall, Temple of Heaven,etc...in the backround.

I met my SO at a disco in Xian over 3 years ago, I can not recall the name of the place but I think she could. Would they ask "what place you met?"

134161[/snapback]

If I email this topic, will it give all the posts attached? By the way, thanks to everyone that contributed this valuable resource...

Hank

134161[/snapback]

The questions are meeting are usually like:

"where did you meet" -

typical answers: Online, family, friend, work.

I think you can answer in the city, China. If the VO wants to know more, they will ask. She could say at a club, etc... but I doubt they'll want to get that specific.

If I email this topic, will it give all the posts attached?  By the way, thanks to everyone that contributed this valuable resource...

Hank

134163[/snapback]

I don't think you can get all the posts to attach.. you can copy/paste them into a document or just give the thread web link.

If I email this topic, will it give all the posts attached?  By the way, thanks to everyone that contributed this valuable resource...

Hank

134163[/snapback]

I don't think you can get all the posts to attach.. you can copy/paste them into a document or just give the thread web link.

134180[/snapback]

This is really great stuff, I will sort through and provide to my Liqun....

My fiancee has been told to know my parents names, my siblings names and my childrens names... We practice each day!!!

She pronounces her English name- Lucy- and says it with my last name perfectly when doing this but massacres my last name when saying it in conjuction with my other family members... It is so funny.

I am changing jobs soon and I am guessing I should submit documentation proving this. I already have sent her my financial info complete with tax years and letter from my soon to be ex-employer.

Anyone have some advice for me on this?

Thanks,

esun41

My fiancee has been told to know my parents names, my siblings names and my childrens names... We practice each day!!!

She pronounces her English name- Lucy- and says it with my last name perfectly when doing this but massacres my last name when saying it in conjuction with my other family members... It is so funny.

I am changing jobs soon and I am guessing I should submit documentation proving this. I already have sent her my financial info complete with tax years and letter from my soon to be ex-employer.

Thanks,

esun41

135253[/snapback]

GZ won't know your siblings names and it would be silly for her to know your parents names as it is disrectful in china ta address an eldr by their name. Most interviews are 4-5 simple quesions. How did you meet, where does he live, what is his work, what does he like to do, has he been married before, how many times did he visit, for how long, why do you want to marry him etc...

They asked my so 6 questions--she didn't know two of the answers--what does he like to do and what are his hobbies. The good news is that GZ had no way of knowing if she was wrong. The bad news is she told them she had no idea--it was no problem

Thanks,

esun41

135253[/snapback]

GZ won't know your siblings names and it would be silly for her to know your parents names as it is disrectful in china ta address an eldr by their name. Most interviews are 4-5 simple quesions. How did you meet, where does he live, what is his work, what does he like to do, has he been married before, how many times did he visit, for how long, why do you want to marry him etc...

They asked my so 6 questions--she didn't know two of the answers--what does he like to do and what are his hobbies. The good news is that GZ had no way of knowing if she was wrong. The bad news is she told them she had no idea--it was no problem

135255[/snapback]

What about the family composition form- back side for USC? acw