Name Check Delay - No Help From Senator

thanks Zingaro

If anyone knows what numbers or individuals at FBI would be appropriate?

I don't know the FBI numbers - I'm trying to find that out myself.

I don't think the FBI is what you need right now. The NVC does their own internal name check after the NOA2. Later, after you receive the P3, there is another name check - the "second name check". That one involves the FBI and other US security agencies.

If I find out any contact numbers at the FBI, I'll send you an email here at CFL.

I might disagree only on the basis of two experiences shared, where visits occurred by the FBI... clearly demonstrating that the FBI is involved in this name check.

I assumed this was during the NVC name check and apologize if I'm wrong in interpreting the thread:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....722&hl=fbi&st=0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the FBI is what you need right now. The NVC does their own internal name check after the NOA2. Later, after you receive the P3, there is another name check - the "second name check". That one involves the FBI and other US security agencies.

If I find out any contact numbers at the FBI, I'll send you an email here at CFL.

thanks a lot.

we were told our case is in FBI, so we think only FBI officer is real useful. it is a little different from second namecheck process.

thanks Zingaro

I might disagree only on the basis of two experiences shared, where visits occurred by the FBI... clearly demonstrating that the FBI is involved in this name check.

I assumed this was during the NVC name check and apologize if I'm wrong in interpreting the thread:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....722&hl=fbi&st=0

Interesting ... I remember that thread. I don't know much about the name check done at NVC. Ours went through in about two weeks, so it was never an issue for us. Maybe different cases are flagged for different handling at different stages in the process.

Unless GZ screwed up my SO's name when they requested the name check, this doesn't seem to be in GZ's hands at the moment. GZ/DOS send automatic follow-up reminders at intervals during a name check, which GZ has been doing in our case, but that's about it.

good point, that's right.. your now the expert on this.. sorry you have to go through this... and anyone else. Your handling it well despite all the BS , I admire that...

Thanks, David ... it's a trial, to be sure. Now my SO is worried that all her notarized documents are going to expire before she ever gets the interview. It's a regular domino effect.

All one can do is keep on keepin' on, no?

well... they could well expire beyond the GUZ litmus... I think the rule of thumb to follow is wait for the P4 and then get the documents.. Maybe feels a little tight to some, but ensures they are without expiration and questioning...

You got to keep on and keep the faith.. your lady is worth any wait... :D

Yeah, I'm a little concerned myself that the notarizations will expire before we ever get to the interview. My poor SO has done everything by the book. She's had her birth papers, police report, military record, etc, all notarized and tucked into a bank safe deposit box since last year.

I'll have to email GZ and ask about this. Maybe we can get a grace period on the shelf life of those notarizations.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned myself that the notarizations will expire before we ever get to the interview. My poor SO has done everything by the book. She's had her birth papers, police report, military record, etc, all notarized and tucked into a bank safe deposit box since last year.

I'll have to email GZ and ask about this. Maybe we can get a grace period on the shelf life of those notarizations.

Here's the party line:

UNLIMITED: Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates.

ONE YEAR: Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates.

The unlimited ones are good to follow still...

The single cert she will get with P4 and sign at consulars... You should redo one before interview. The police cert. may be the only one she has to redo.

your I-134 should be not too old as well... employment letters same...

The only issue about the GUZ email is that they can tell you one thing and the VO can state another during a 5 minute interview.. but I agree to ask and get it printed out and bring to interview !!

Yea. Good Luck guys. That's a tough position they've put you in.

What do you suspect they are waiting on? Could they have lost your papers and not bothered to do anything about it? Maybe try calling NVC and explaining the story. They seem to have the answers when GZ doesn't. Or maybe try offering them some help, if they have any questions about your or your fiancees backgrounds. Hard to do anything without details. It's sad that it doesn't seem to mean anything to anyone that is in a position to help you.

Peace.

I went back to note people with long name check delays.. I believe the first three used a representatives office to help push it along.. You can PM or email them as you want for any info.

Ndjarrett

Maui & China

Mari

Littleturtle

Charon1

Here is info rrylee (Ryan) gave previously on same topic:

If Guangzhou stonewalls you, call Consular Affairs and the Visa Office at the State Dept. in Washington. GZ WILL respond to them and you should get the info you want. And if the State Dept. gets enough complaints, they might put the pressure on GZ to improve, which would help us all.

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary Janice Jacobs

(202) 647-9584

Managing Director Stephen A. Edson

(202) 663-1153

Senior Advisor Diane R. Bean

(202) 663-1155

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20520

Fax: (202) 647-0341

Assistant Secretary of State for C.A. Maura Ann Harty

(202) 647-9576

Personal Assistant Bridget Kissinger

(202) 647-9576

wish I could do more...

Yup...after almost six months (Senator Harkin's ofice siad I must wait 6 months before they would contact the FBI directly), my Senator called the FBI and the 2nd name check was done ONE week later. Apparently there was some kinda mix-up at the FBI and they were not even touching it. After the Senator called, they pulled it and gave it directly to and analyst (or what ever).

BUT...I live in Iowa...which probably does not have sooo much immigration crap to deal with. So, they had more time and are more willing to help here.

Seems like elected officials in bigger states just give you the polite (or not so polite) brush-off.

thanks Zingaro

FBI# will not help. They will just nicely (or not so nicely) tell you to call DoS for all information about your case. At least, that was my result of contacting them directly.

FYI...according to my Senator...BOTH the NVC name check and the additional requests from GUZ go through the FBI and other agencies all coordinated by DoS.

Here's the party line:

UNLIMITED:  Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates.

ONE YEAR:  Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates.

The unlimited ones are good to follow still...

The single cert she will get with P4 and sign at consulars...   You should redo one before interview.    The police cert. may be the only one she has to redo.

your I-134 should be not too old as well... employment letters same...

The only issue about the GUZ email is that they can tell you one thing and the VO can state another during a 5 minute interview.. but I agree to ask and get it printed out and bring to interview !!

Thanks, David. Then the only one we really have to be concerned about is the the police report. I haven't done my I-134 yet. She hasn't done the medical exams yet - since she hasn't received the P4 which gives the forms and instructions for the medical exams.

Hopefully, we'll have an interview date by October, which is when her notarizations expire.

FBI# will not help.  They will just nicely (or not so nicely) tell you to call DoS for all information about your case.  At least, that was my result of contacting them directly.

FYI...according to my Senator...BOTH the NVC name check and the additional requests from GUZ go through the FBI and other agencies all coordinated by DoS.

I have had the same thought about the FBI not being the place to call - although I'm certainly willing to call if it will do an ounce of good.

Thanks for the info about the NVC name check. That's good to know.

Yup...after almost six months (Senator Harkin's ofice siad I must wait 6 months before they would contact the FBI directly), my Senator called the FBI and the 2nd name check was done ONE week later.  Apparently there was some kinda mix-up at the FBI and they were not even touching it.  After the Senator called, they pulled it and gave it directly to and analyst (or what ever).

BUT...I live in Iowa...which probably does not have sooo much immigration crap to deal with.  So, they had more time and are more willing to help here.

Seems like elected officials in bigger states just give you the polite (or not so polite) brush-off.

Interesting information about your dealings with your senator's office. I've been concerned about the same simple bureaucratic delays being at play in our case - our file simply sitting in the wrong basket or filed incorrectly.

I asked Feinstein's office how I would ever find out if FBI (or whatever mysterious agency is involved) had simply misplaced my file. The assistant hemmed and hawed for a moment, then dismissed this possibility because DOS/GZ send automated follow-ups. She's correct about the follow-ups, but I think she overestimated their effectiveness.

Every politician budgets and spends their political capital differently. It seems that there are two tasks here - one is to actually get to the senator or congressman directly (more difficult for an ordinary citizen in a big state) and the other is to find the motivational key that will unlock the political capital piggy bank.

My experience with the FBI visit was early on a Saturday morning as I was sleeping in, 08:00am.

My door bell rang and I did not answer. Then they started knocking.

And then they did the loud "cop knock(several times)." This went on for about fifteen minutes.

When I answered the they door they said they were Jehovahs; one guy handed me the pamphlet and started to talk about the church as the other looked me up and down.

How did I know they were cops?

The way they knocked on my door and would not leave; they way they were dressed; the way one guy got my attention while the other made his observation and the fact they only had one pamphlet.

They just wanted to verify who I was.

That next week I received an email from NVC saying that they have completed processing and my case has been sent to GZ.

For my SO, the Mandarin spelling of her name translates into a very common name of both genders. So I guess she got many "hits".

Thats all I can add.

Good luck and hang in there.

I wrote to both of my Senators. The first, told me the same thing that the email link to GZ said. "undergoing necessary internal admistrative processing." I sent another email to him, pointing out flaws in the copy of the email the "Chief Consular" sent him. Then nothing. The other Senator then sent a letter asking for more information. As far as I know, the response I sent him, has netted nothing. I have not heard from him since then. Now I think we are in the final stage, with the consulate inviting my wife back to the consulate. I think the visa issuance is imminent. I have not proof that the Senate contacts have done anything. Even Maura Harty's office has been of no help.

My experience with the FBI visit was early on a Saturday morning as I was sleeping in, 08:00am.

They just wanted to verify who I was.

That next week I received an email from NVC saying that they have completed processing and my case has been sent to GZ.

For my SO, the Mandarin spelling of her name translates into a very common name of both genders. So I guess she got many "hits".

Thats all I can add.

Good luck and hang in there.

I had read about your rather weird visit from the FBI. Curious - at what point did they identify themselves or show credentials? I'm glad it turned out well, and that your name check passed through NVC.

I Googled my SO's name in both Pinyin and in Hanzi and got quite a few hits on both - none of them her. So I do understand there can be duplicate names. But honestly, does it take nine months to determine which person is the female with her date of birth?

We're hanging in ... I'm writing to my congressman tonight and sending another email to the senator.