WATCH OUT So Cal

Sorry CA, but I had to do it! :D

With the help of about 10 sample driver license tests in Chinese that my clever little lady found on the internet, she took the test for her learners permit and scored 100% !! :o

So I decided to let her get a few minutes behind the wheel. :o

There was the rather annoying habit of stopping dead in the middle of the street when I just said slow.

And she seems to have a bit of a problem with deciding which side of the road she should be on.

Oh, there's also the problem of gradually meandering over toward the parked cars and when I tell her not to get to close to the parked cars, she gradually aims for the parked cars on the other side of the road!! :lol:

Her final move of the day was pulling over to park. She was getting close to the curb and almost had the car at a 20 degree angle into the parking spot. Her last move was accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake! DONG!! front wheel is on the sidewalk - STOP STOP STOP - DONG !! back wheel is on the sidewalk!! Car finally stops, OK GET OUT!!!! Lesson Over!!!

:lol:

My Volvo is probably really angry at me right now!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife got her permit about a month and a half ago. We started in a new development behind us and eventually I got bored and said OK we are going to the store. It has been exciting :D to say the least. But it is a lot of fun to see her do better and see her confidence build. She takes the driving test on the 25th :lol:

Oh yes! The "stopping in the middle of the road" and the "crooked parked car in the parking space." I know it all too well........lol.

But give it time. She will improve with time and it's well worth it in the end!

I had not the nerve to take my novice driver out on a busy roadway so I got her into a driving school to "break her in." After she had been "exposed" to driving on the road, I took over the training. You know how they say, "The first step is a doozy!"......

- A thousand good lucks to you! and keep your nerve!...lol.

And she seems to have a bit of a problem with deciding which side of the road she should be on.

Oh, there's also the problem of gradually meandering over toward the parked cars and when I tell her not to get to close to the parked cars, she gradually aims for the parked cars on the other side of the road!! :)

So, what's the problem? :lol:

Having experienced all these things with my step son, I consulted my cousin who, in a former life, was a driving instructor. He said the wandering from lane to lane is a common problem that comes from not looking far enough down the road when driving. New drivers tend to look only a few feet ahead, and this causes the meandering.

See if you can get her to look further out. You heart will thank you, and so will the Volvo. If she can't succeed, I'm sure your insurance company will thank you. :angry: :P

Yea Frank but looking only a few feet down the road gives you an advantage. You get to see what your going to hit close up.

Cosmo dude, you are indeed a brave man. My wife has yet to master the riding mower. One mile an hour, hunched over the wheel looking almost straight down at the font tire with a death grip that put tiny chinese fingerprints all over the steering column.

Good luck, you are gonna need it me thinks.

Oh yes! The "stopping in the middle of the road" and

Saw a taxi driver suddenly stop in the middle of a major Shanghai street with lanes whittled down for Metro construction. He adjusted his driver's side exterior rear view mirror, pinched a zit for about 2 minutes- buses, cars, bikes etc backed up, horns BLARING, readjusted the mirror and finally drove off.

Wish I had a video of this one; Man about 60-70 years old riding his bike in Shanghai traffic juggling three 3" diameter steel balls- "look Ma no hands". acw

Thanks for the advice Frank and Trigg. I told her to look further down the road and she did a lot better today. We kept her practice to a long parking lot (she's still a little afraid to hit the streets from yesterdays practice). Aside from doing 30MPH, she didn't do too bad. :wub:

And as a bonus, she didn't hit anything!!! B)