This started out as "Oregon Get Together 4", but now it seems that it's developing into a national get together!

Here are the details:

SUNDAY JUNE 26TH, 2:00 PM

LATOURELL FALLS PICNIC AREA

INSIDE GUY W. TALBOT STATE PARK

INSIDE COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE SCENIC AREA

(about 25 miles east of Portland, Oregon)

Picnic area website:

Guy W. Talbot State Park (Latourell Falls picnic area is inside park)

You can go to the above website to get MapQuest directions, but the following directions should work well too:

SCENIC ROUTE (very highly recommended)

> Drive eastbound on I-84 from Portland

> Take exit 35 "Historic Hwy; Ainsworth State Park"

> End of off-ramp, turn RIGHT towards "Multnomah Falls"

> 1/10 mile later, turn LEFT onto Historic Columbia River Hwy, towards "Ainsworth State Park"

> Drive 10 miles westbound on HCRH (stop and enjoy many falls along the way)

> Drive past "Latourell Falls" sign, drive 1/10 mile further uphill

> Turn RIGHT onto "LATOURELL RD" (see brown PICNICKING sign)

> Drive down steep hill to bottom

> Turn RIGHT onto "NE LATOURELL RD"

> Drive 100 yards, look for all the happy people

DIRECT ROUTE

> Drive eastbound on I-84 from Portland

> Take exit 28 "Bridal Veil Falls"

> End of off-ramp, turn RIGHT, follow until road ends at Y

> Turn RIGHT towards "HISTORIC HWY WEST; CROWN POINT"

> Drive westbound 3.1 miles

> Turn RIGHT onto "LATOURELL RD" (see brown PICNICKING sign)

> Drive down steep hill to bottom

> Turn RIGHT onto "NE LATOURELL RD"

> Drive 100 yards, look for all the happy people

Lat.: 45.537324 N

Long.: -122.227212 W

The site is in a beautiful area with gorgeous scenery; the sheltered area is equipped with two BBQs, water/electricity, plenty of picnic tables for everyone. The Columbia River Gorge area (and Portland) are nice places to visit as well.

But the main purpose is for all us CFLers to get together in one place at one time!

Everybody is welcome to come - no matter if your far-away sweetie is here yet or not. So far I think we are up to 30 people - some are coming from across the US. There is even talk of getting together for dinner the night before (Saturday 6/25). There is some more info about this (starting from the 13th page) on the original thread over in the Culture & Language forum.

Can we have a show of hands to see who is coming?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gene

:blink: Is there any kind of planning for food? Everyone chip in for a half a cow? Or a couple of cute little lambs? Maybe a few Onry old goats? :lol:

Or is everyone just bringing ther own? How about Briquettes? We can just siphon gas for starter fluid. :blink:

Sounds like we will be near water, maybe some fishin? Trigg you seem to be the most experienced with MASS fishin maybe some of your special Lures? Just put the caps in another suitcase??? :o

Iv' e already contacted my friend in the NRA. He is getting me the right kind of "bait" as we speak. I've never fished in Oregon before. What d'ya think-minnow colored hand grenade sufficient?? If we need to bring out the good stuff I have many friends in low places and can get BIGGER bait if necessary.

So, BBQ lamb with fish sauce and shrapnel for a side dish?? In TN you can go to the local cattle auction and often find 60-70 pound lamb for around $40. If anyone knows where to get one I can do the skinning and butchering in about 45 minutes (after a little 'foreplay' ).

I have a feeling that Oregon won't invite any of us back--but hell, they didn't invite us in the first place.

The place has an elevated BBQ grill that measures roughly 2' x 2', but divided in half so that two different fires can be going at once. I'm not sure if the divider can be removed (Juxin and I will be going by there this afternoon, we'll check it out). The grills can be raised and lowered, to a maximum height of maybe 6 inches. There is no ground-based BBQ pit. There's fishing nearby in the Columbia and Sandy rivers, but there's a host of licenses and seasons that make it difficult to actually catch and eat anything.

Yeah, we should probably try to organize the "who brings what" thing, so as to avoid everybody showing up with just potato salad :lol:

The out-of-towners don't have to worry about a thing, us locals (including Gene!) will gladly take care of everything :P

Trigg if you think you can "prepare" a lamb, then sure, sounds good to me! I think some of the local Chinese grocery stores sell lambs and/or pigs (by special order). But would the BBQ arrangement be sufficient? Nothing wrong with good ol' brauts, burgers, steaks, and chicken! Maybe just a rack of lamb?

Who wants to bring:

- meats

- hot dishes

- cold dishes

- beverages

- desserts

Guest Gene
The out-of-towners don't have to worry about a thing, us locals (including Gene!) will gladly take care of everything :o

:lol: That will teach me to open my big Mouth :P :o :o

The out-of-towners don't have to worry about a thing, us locals (including Gene!) will gladly take care of everything :lol:

:lol: That will teach me to open my big Mouth :lol: :D :P

Be prepared us out of towners have big mouths too. How many lambs is Trigg going to butcher for this shindig? :P

Wait only a rack? On a BBQ I'd suggest a couple of shoulders so there is some meat to pull off and serve. A rack only makes 10 small lamb chops. But as long as there is a beef/pork alternative I'll keep my mouth shut except to feed myself. After all beggars can't be choosers and we did crash the party. :lol:

Yes ~!

This is somthing ~! and Jim is absolutley right: the location is just beautiful!

---- Out of towners will be able to drive 15 minutes either east or west and see spectacular sights!

(those that want to work a little, hiking south~ ie. up hill!! will quickly get into very pristine country by ANY standard!

(there was a cougar warning posted last year on one local trail, but don't worry, they only feed at night --- sheep and goats mostly, so I hear...)

While it may be that only one is BBQ is at the shelter, there are others nearby if no one is using them..... I will bring at least one more small portable -- and possibly another if I can dig it out of the boxes I have everywhere!

Word to the wise: In the Candle get together last June, seemed to be a lot of wonderful meat dishes available... little light on the trimmins' if you get my drift...

Yeah, I EXPECT both lamb and goat to be served !! Veggie dishes are most welcome!

.. but don't worry, there is a history of very good --- and surplus food ~! NICE!! (even if you can't bring something just come!)

"(there was a cougar warning posted last year on one local trail, but don't worry, they only feed at night --- sheep and goats mostly, so I hear...)"

Ok well I'm willing to rassle a couger for a good sheep or goat BBQ if Trigg will do the butchering.

"(there was a cougar warning posted last year on one local trail, but don't worry, they only feed at night --- sheep and goats mostly, so I hear...)"

Ok well I'm willing to rassle a couger for a good  sheep or goat BBQ if Trigg will do the butchering.

I can do the butchering. So, is it a cougar or you who is getting butchered? I've butchered my share of lambs but this year I reached a new level of butcherydom. The wifey showed me the dos and don'ts of the meat clever. I skinned and processed 13 deer and mastered filleting catfish (wife won't clean catfish), all with nothing but the clever.

If ya'll are wantin' goat they are cheap and I do them too. Goats are a bit harder as you have to keep the hair of the meat and they wiggle too much when you first start skinnin' 'em.