Chinese Resident Visa

Good questions Jason,

I have thought of similar if this visa thing blows up in Jen's and my face.

Thanks, Jim.

That is part of my thinking, but the other part is that Joannas mom offered to help raise future children. Actually, I think it would be a good experience for them. Teach them very good values, traditions, the languauge, ect, ect, ect.

But, the catch is how to go about it ?

As far as living in China goes, there seems to be really good opportunities for native English speakers to work as teachers. Check out www.eslcafe.com

In addition, China's economy is growing really fast... and where there is growth, there is wealth to be made. I have often wondered about the possibility of taking American business franchise ideas to China. For example, we know that McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, Starbucks, and 7-Eleven are there. How about bringing the next big thing over?

New franchises were opening up all the time in Xiamen when I was there. The last one I saw was Kenny Roger's Roasters which seemed to be doing pretty well. I think there are a lot of opportunities for opening up your own business in China. Many foreigners opened up restaurants, some did really well, others lasted only months. English speaking cafes seemed to open up all at once, I think only one is still in business now. Depending on what city your living in there should be some other job opportunities besides teaching English. Especially if you live in a city with a lot of international companies, or a major port, you could work as a trading agent.

-Lynne

Actually, even though it is really easy to find work in China it isn't so easy to get a Z work visa. I had always thought that you should get a Z visa and resident card while waiting for the 5 years but I am not sure. If thats true could be a problem.

In my experience few employers in China have the permission to hire foreigners and get Z visas. When I went to China at first I was insistant on doing things legally and having a Z visa and residence book. I got one, but my employer lied and said I was working doing quality control at an electronics factory in a totally different city when I was teaching English at the time. I think most places, especially English Schools don't bother even trying to get these requirements because most people don't care what visa they have and they hardly ever get caught. Although someone I worked with who had a business visa got a visit from the police, the employer made up a big story and got out of any real trouble. You also get people coming buy sometimes to check your residence books and IDs.

I am not sure about the people who retire in China. I know that when Chinese resident would buy an apartment then they could get a residence card for that city.