Trouble getting driving permit in WA

My hubby who entered US on 9/27 with K-3 is having a problem getting his driving permit. DMV here wants proof of WA residence. They want to see his tax return, utility bills with his name on it, employment pay stub.... I mean he just arrived! Where can one get these? DMV said bank statements or cellular phone bills doesn't count... We are so discouraged.

My hubby who entered US on 9/27 with K-3 is having a problem getting his driving permit. DMV here wants proof of WA residence. They want to see his tax return, utility bills with his name on it, employment pay stub.... I mean he just arrived! Where can one get these? DMV said bank statements or cellular phone bills doesn't count... We are so discouraged.

wow, i don't know why they won't accept bank statements. perhaps you can have his name added to a utility bill. good luck!

wow, i don't know why they won't accept bank statements. perhaps you can have his name added to a utility bill. good luck!

WA DMV are real sticklers and the driving test compared to the rest of the nation is no joke. So put his name on a cable or water bill then ask for a summary of charges to be printed up there and then. Not to hard.

worst case is he has to wait a month. There is always photo shop and a scanner to.... :)

Driving privileges are granted by the states, so requirements vary quite a bit, for virtually all states SSN is a requirement, and most also want to see EAD or Green-card for evidence of residency, most will also accept I-94 card too.

The K-3 problem of not being able to get SSN until having EAD or Green-card.

WA REQUIRES SSN. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html

DL is one of the reasons I down-play K-3 in favor of CR-1 visa.

In our case we did not even bother trying to get my Yu a NY DL or Permit until she had her green-card.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Driving privileges are granted by the states, so requirements vary quite a bit, for virtually all states SSN is a requirement, and most also want to see EAD or Green-card for evidence of residency, most will also accept I-94 card too.

The K-3 problem of not being able to get SSN until having EAD or Green-card.

WA REQUIRES SSN. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html

DL is one of the reasons I down-play K-3 in favor of CR-1 visa.

In our case we did not even bother trying to get my Yu a NY DL or Permit until she had her green-card.

God i wish I had one tenth the brain power you do LOL. Drive to Cali and get him one there, rumor has it the illegals south of the boarder do it all the time :P

God i wish I had one tenth the brain power you do LOL. Drive to Cali and get him one there, rumor has it the illegals south of the boarder do it all the time :P

:sosad: CA is the same way, the big catch is the SSN.

Thanks guys. I just came back from the DMV office again. This time they say my marriage cert in Chinese (already translated and notarized in China) not acceptable. They want me to have my hubby's last name in order to even look at our docs.

Geez... I am so tired and brain exhausted. This K-3 things suck. i should have listened and went for the CR1.

Thanks guys. I just came back from the DMV office again. This time they say my marriage cert in Chinese (already translated and notarized in China) not acceptable. They want me to have my hubby's last name in order to even look at our docs.

Geez... I am so tired and brain exhausted. This K-3 things suck. i should have listened and went for the CR1.

I'd start chewing butt and work your way up like Ms. PacMan untill you get the answer you want. :angry: It's how I work any way. When you dont get your answer ask "who is your boss" and repeat untill you get the President... :huh:

I'd start chewing butt and work your way up like Ms. PacMan untill you get the answer you want. :blink: It's how I work any way. When you dont get your answer ask "who is your boss" and repeat untill you get the President... :rolleyes:

Wont help any, you will run into the SSN roadblock, you might as well sit tight and wait for EAD, and when you have that in hand, then visit SSA for a SSN, once you have SSN card, THEN visit DMV, the envelope the I-765 NOA1 and the EAD + SSN card should be enough to get them to move on issuing Learner's permit and then DL.

Did you file joint tax return for tax year 2007 ? If so, that'll count.

If you dinna file jointly for tax year 2007 - now you have an opportunity to 'file an amended return'.

You were allowed so to do, as you married to him in 2007. One small snag - you'll need to file W-7 form as well, so send all the IRS stuff to the lockbox address in Austin for the W-7. MAKE COPIES before you file, bring in the copies with you to the DMV.

Utility bills are easy - just call up the utility companies and have em put his name there - sometimes this requires a person with God Access in Customer Service.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Did you file joint tax return for tax year 2007 ? If so, that'll count.

If you dinna file jointly for tax year 2007 - now you have an opportunity to 'file an amended return'.

You were allowed so to do, as you married to him in 2007. One small snag - you'll need to file W-7 form as well, so send all the IRS stuff to the lockbox address in Austin for the W-7. MAKE COPIES before you file, bring in the copies with you to the DMV.

Utility bills are easy - just call up the utility companies and have em put his name there - sometimes this requires a person with God Access in Customer Service.

Again it all will boil down to the REQUIRED SSN for DL

3. Provide your Social Security number if you are applying for a driver license.
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/idproof.html

They possibly may be able to get a learner's permit, or state ID card, but the wording in the state's DMV site indicates DL won't happen until the applicant has a SSN.

Guest Rob & Jin

Colorado wont do it until until you have a AOS receipt document, no other document satisfies them for "lawfull residence for K1/3". Even though there are no State statutes or DMV regulations that support that, their "operating manual " requires it.

we filed for "exception processing" took all the laws with us and got it.

My SO and I just moved to WA in Jan. She is not employed.

Get your So on the utility bills with you, Open a bank account in both names, Also try WA DMV they have info on what you need. I had to deal with this when I move it is a pain. SO has permit with out a job in Washington state.

Todd

Another problem with the DoL in Washington is that they are run by contractors. I've been given completely different information from different offices.

Call the information number down in Olympia, and hopefully you will get correct information.

And I'm not sure, but maybe this page might have some info you guys can use - http://www.dol.wa.gov/cn/