AOS Interview, PASSED

The whole thing was just too long to describe... She said the hardest part was waiting the 80 minutes to be called to the backroom.. because she was bored sitting there. :P

There were many more questions/issues than I expected, at different points:

-He shuffled through the file for almost two minutes looking for any evidence of a medical exam;

-Said she has no record of having done the biometrics;

-Stated she [mistakenly] had two A numbers and the case was a quite confusing;

-He asked for my 2005 W2s, which I had removed from my bag the night before and never put back in;

-He seemed to peer at us with uncertainty when she answered questions too fast (without help from the translator), which caused her to look at the translator for clarification, who then asked the AO to repeat the question so he could understand it!

Despite the twists and turns, we got through this IMO based on:

- We were organized (whenever he asked for something, it came out of clips or items grouped together- When he remarked there was no proof of biometrics I pulled out the stamped paper and gave it to him without hesitation)

- He could tell I knew the process (I reminded him that the medical was done with the K1 and not submitted by me.. he finally found the Beijing paperwork he was looking for; When he remarked that she had two A numbers, I pulled out a few originals and remarked, yes, it appears to have happened at the biometric.. he looked at the computer and say, um.. yes?)

- We were at ease and spoke openly with him.. my wife and I looked each other in the eyes when we answered a question (ie: when we first meet) and he could see that the casual manner in which we talked was as if he was not even in the room

- It was apparent that he believed our case was genuine (At the end I asked him basically why my forgetting the W2 was not an issue to him, and he said that it depends on what we see? At the end, I also said in joking disappointment that we didn't get to share any pictures with him?he smiled and said that it wasn't necessary.

Main questions:

1) Which POE !! (She hesitated.. I knew that she wanted to say KFC as a joke but she decided against this? she confirmed this later and we had a big laugh?

2) Asked her about her feelings on her arrival to US (ie: tried to probe her emotions a bit; was she scared, etc )? In typical fashion, her answer to being scared: No.. just different here?

3) Has she ever been to US before.. ever denied entry to US?

4) Asked almost all the questions from the I-485 (I had given a copy of these questions to the translator to study and underlined all the key words.. I had told him to just focus on the I-485 questions). When asked a drug?question, she quickly responded NO?and the AO looked at her since the translator did not translate anything. She made a hand gesture as if holding a syringe and putting it into her arm, saying drug?no good? He smiled.

5) Any children in the horizon. She answered quickly NO (thinking he asked if we had children). The translator they said a few words (realizing the need to say something)?then she said, We discuss maybe later? I chimed in and said, she wants one; I want eleven? (I knew this would catch his attention and also knew that my wife already knew the coming punch line since we joked about this often)? Once he stared up at me I said, I'm coach soccer?so eleven will make a team? He smiled deeply and shook his head and said, you got to be damn rich these days to have lots of kids...

6) My present company name and work? We're a government contractor, so I'm sure that went over well?

7) Did she work; plan to work. She stated she was studying english.. He responded, "he is your teacher" , looking at me. Then she said, "I am his teacher"... He looked at her quite blank trying to figure out what that meant. Finally she said, "He teaches me english; I teach him chinese". Then he smiles and says, "oh, you got one of those things going"...

8) How many times I've been to china ; (3)... I told him that it was very hard to leave china at my second trip there... My meaning was that I preferred to stay there than in the US.. not just for her, but because of my liking of the country. Of course he it took it in a romantic meaning..

8) Asked me if I like china... about the culture and food... told him that I liked it alot. Asked me if I ate anything crazy. I told him that I ate some odd Asian foods prior to knowing her, so nothing was really too much for my stomach. THen we started talking about 'duck blood' and how it gels like tofu; about whether anyone really eats dog or not, and how it's popular in Korea. Suddenly my wife says, "I LIKE DOG"... I look at her and say, "You like to eat dog ??". And she exclaimed very loudly, "NO !".. I told he we're talking about eating dog.. and we all laughed.

Main Documents asked for:

1) ID from me and translator; passport from her. (never asked me to prove my citizenship; although obviously it's in the file, he could check to see if I brought anything)

2) Marriage certificate. I asked if he wanted a copy or certified copy and he said ORIGINAL I did not have the true original, so just quickly handed him a certified, stamped copy. No issue.

3) Employment letter or paystubs ?I knew that the employment letter I had was from GUZ timeframe, so decided that I didn't want to pass that along. I did not have any paystubs since I am paid by direct deposit? I gave him a few recent months of bank statements which showed deposits by my company name. I pointed out to him that both our names were on the account to show joint ownership (up to that point he never asked me for anything for joint ownership, and did not ask after either).

4) 2005 W2s -- I did't have them.. He did ask for this AFTER the above financials.. in the end, he let it drop that I didn't have it.

5) Her EAD card (he took that from her and put it in the file which she was not happy about and I heard this for the next two hours!)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations !!

Way to go, guys! I see a few questions I want to ask you this evening!

197055[/snapback]

It was much longer than I expected and lots of subtle issues...takes too much time to try to convey in a post.. but feel free to ask anything.

Without a translator, not sure we would of passed... Although I knew they would ask the I-485 questions, the wording is too difficult right now for her.

When asked about being a terrorist, the translator stated the questions.. then the AO got real interested in what 'terrorist' is in chinese and asked for it to be pronounced a few time...

All in all, this guy was good at his job.. he probed us with thoughful and emotional questions and always glanced up to see our response and body language..

David,

Congrats.  Did the VO stamp her passport or if she needs to wait for security check prior to getting the green card?

197072[/snapback]

he did not mention anything about a security check...

On a blank page he wrote her [correct A number].. then below, a stamp reads:

PROCESSED FOR I-551 TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL MARCH 7, 2007. EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED. (Date was hand written)

Then hand written below that:

CF1 BOS 3/8/06

---

when he handed it back to her, he said, "this is your greencard till you get the one in the mail"...