AOS Interview, PASSED

Great post (as always) - thanks David! And Congratulations!

Two questions (for you or others who have gone through the process):

1. Did they keep the document you brought as the "original" of your marriage license? I previously sent in a photocopy of the document we signed with the pastor, but now have the ORIGINAL of the actual license. I was going to go with a certified copy of this (as well as the original) but I do NOT want to part with the original (we might need it again ...)

2. Why did they take her EAD card? I suppose to stop her from selling it since she won't need it with the green card now???

Again, congrats ... just a few weeks to go for us ...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations !!

Way to go, guys! I see a few questions I want to ask you this evening!

197055[/snapback]

It was much longer than I expected and lots of subtle issues...takes too much time to try to convey in a post.. but feel free to ask anything.

Without a translator, not sure we would of passed... Although I knew they would ask the I-485 questions, the wording is too difficult right now for her.

When asked about being a terrorist, the translator stated the questions.. then the AO got real interested in what 'terrorist' is in chinese and asked for it to be pronounced a few time...

All in all, this guy was good at his job.. he probed us with thoughful and emotional questions and always glanced up to see our response and body language..

197065[/snapback]

Did you hire a translator, or was this a friend or acquantance? If you don't bring a translator, I'm sure it's unlikely that they will have anyone who speaks Chinese.

My other question was about the EAD, but you've already answered that.

THen I thought I had another one, but it looks like the information is all there. Thanks again for your good help.

Great post (as always) - thanks David!  And Congratulations!

1.  Did they keep the document you brought as the "original" of your marriage license?  I previously sent in a photocopy of the document we signed with the pastor, but now have the ORIGINAL of the actual license.  I was going to go with a certified copy of this (as well as the original) but I do NOT want to part with the original (we might need it again ...)

2.  Why did they take her EAD card?  I suppose to stop her from selling it since she won't need it with the green card now???

197168[/snapback]

1. Although he asked for an original... I handed over a certified copy and he kept the certified copy.. I was prepared for them to take it as I have a few copies. ( I also sent in a photocopy with paperwork)

2. The card has her picture on it... I wish I had asked him WHY... The stamp says EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED, so it is not like he took any privilege away from her.. but she was truly unhappy with not having what she paid for! We did find a good use of her EAD card since she keeps it on her and she needed a second [picture] ID for something... although she could of used her passport, but she doesn't usually keep it on her.

Congratulations !!

Way to go, guys! I see a few questions I want to ask you this evening!

197055[/snapback]

It was much longer than I expected and lots of subtle issues...takes too much time to try to convey in a post.. but feel free to ask anything.

Without a translator, not sure we would of passed... Although I knew they would ask the I-485 questions, the wording is too difficult right now for her.

When asked about being a terrorist, the translator stated the questions.. then the AO got real interested in what 'terrorist' is in chinese and asked for it to be pronounced a few time...

All in all, this guy was good at his job.. he probed us with thoughful and emotional questions and always glanced up to see our response and body language..

197065[/snapback]

Did you hire a translator, or was this a friend or acquantance? If you don't bring a translator, I'm sure it's unlikely that they will have anyone who speaks Chinese.

My other question was about the EAD, but you've already answered that.

THen I thought I had another one, but it looks like the information is all there. Thanks again for your good help.

197176[/snapback]

At first, we asked a friend of hers but she could not do it.. this friend asked a university student she knew, and this person acted as translator... we meet the day before and went over the protocol, etc.

I would say it is unlikely they will have an AO to speak as translator. I reviewed many AOS interviews, and it was very mixed results in terms of allowing the husband to help. It ranged from some being able to act as translator to some told to not speak.

The first question we actually got was in the waiting room when three of approached the AO who called our name.. asked if the student was the translator.

I did not realize that you were so interested in China.  Very impressive for an American man!  Did you have a chance to study Chinese history and Chinese language?

Congratulations!

197174[/snapback]

All studying of chinese culture and people I've done on my own... it all started with reading ancient eastern philosophy and poetry... been hooked since then...

......David, I am very surprised that your interview was so involved. As is the case with the K-1 interview, it is my understanding that the decision is somewhat pre-determined based on all the paperwork. Perhaps this particular interviewer was just being very conscientious. Our interview back in early February lasted about 10 minutes, and part of that time was spent discussing non AOS related matters. We rereceived the Green Card 3 weeks after the interview.

Well congratulations and good luck. You are free from USCIS for the next 21 months. What are you going to do with all that free time???

Ken :rolleyes:

1.  Did they keep the document you brought as the "original" of your marriage license?  I previously sent in a photocopy of the document we signed with the pastor, but now have the ORIGINAL of the actual license.  I was going to go with a certified copy of this (as well as the original) but I do NOT want to part with the original (we might need it again ...)

2.  Why did they take her EAD card?  I suppose to stop her from selling it since she won't need it with the green card now???

197168[/snapback]

The reason for taking the card is they are upgrading her status to LPR and an LPR is not authorized to have an EAD card. So you trade up to a newer/better card, just a bit of a delay in having it in your hand.

Once again David you did an excellent and thorough job of reporting the scenario. I did not imagine the interview would be this intensive but to my thinking that is the one to prepare for and if it goes easy then great. I overprepared for Guangzhou and will do the same for this next one too. Once again, thanks for all your work and the fine report.

197168[/snapback]

The reason for taking the card is they are upgrading her status to LPR and an LPR is not authorized to have an EAD card. So you trade up to a newer/better card, just a bit of a delay in having it in your hand.

197224[/snapback]

Is this where different offices in the same department or organization perform the same task, which needs to be done the exact same way, differently?

They never asked my wife to surrender her EAD card. She has both green card and EAD card which of course is no longer necessary, but she still has both !!

Congrats on the success of your interview. Great indepth report. It should let others know what to expect. Main thing I would tell anyone. Don't act nervous. Act like this is just a formality that needs to be done. Like You said the AO told you, it depends most on what they see.

Congrats David! Now just sit back and enjoy for the next 21 months!

It is interesting to me how different these types of interviews are. Ours was not nearly as detailed as yours. Start to finish, maybe eight minutes tops. No probing questions, didn't even look at the paperwork very much. Of course, we had a seven-month old daughter crawling all over his office. That may have had something to do with the brevity. :D