My stupid question thread.

When visiting with Mark yesterday, as he put to my saying that I would be asking some of those same old questions that show up time after time. But, now it's my turn. :wub: I'm sure this is only the first few, and I'll continue to bump up this one as more Qs pop up.

First, I just went to my bank for the supporting docs from them, and this is what I got. They gave me a letter with my average balance over the past year for both Savings and Checking, along with a compiled statement over the past 6.5 months. When I asked about for the year, they said it would take up to 30 days to get from corperate. :o I was told if I could round up my statement from the past year, i could total it, bring in the figures, and the would revise the letter for the year. My poor little brain might not be able to handle that right now, sooo, would the six month thig be OK as is? I'll have the four years of IRS stuff so I'm OK, right?

Next, I know people have talked before on coverletters to be included. Other than a letter of intent, what have people done about writing a letter to the VO to say a few word on my behalf since I will not be present but rather be waiting outside nervously?

Next, yesterday I was asked if I had my cert of marragability. :blink: Do I need this? I thought getting married in China requires this but what about K1?

And finally, I'm planning to suprise Jen with her ring at the airport. :wub: Shhh, don't tell her. :wub: I know this need documentation I believe I get here at the airport, but what about China. Do I have to declare it there, and if so how?

Things seem to be coming together so far, and as my nerves remain quite frayed, my excitement is growing with each day. Jen has been so sweet in making sure I again will be taken care of and as she says to make certain not to spend much money. Man I love her. :wub:

Mark, thanks again for your hospitality yesterday and thank your lovely wife for her offers in helping Jen. I asked her this morning in an e-mail and will PM you if she wants any help. The help you all have given us so far is without measure, thank you all for all you have done and continue to do to help me bring my Jennifer home. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See? told ya. That why this is my stupid question tread. :rolleyes: I know there is more to come. Thanks guys. I put this down then as a productive day as far as paperwork goes.

For tomorrow? my visa and complete the I-134. and ohh ya, maybe to a notary, but we'll see what time it is then. thanks again.

First of all Jim it's like my dad always told me, "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" If you can get the bank documents easily fine. It doesn't hurt to have as much docmentation as you can. If not and you have sufficient income, don't sweat it. You do not need a certificate of marriage eligibility for yourself for K-1. Your SO however does. Divorce decrees and birth certificates are good indefinitely. Single certs and police checks are only good for a year however. GZ prefers them newer than that.

Thanks Carl,

As it seems, Jen is on top of things on her end. Her cousins has helped quite a bit in making sure she is aware, but I'll still ask the next time I talk with her. Fortunately, thanks to CFL, I've been able to give her a heads up on a lot of things and certs she has got so far are actually less than a month old. with what I got now, I guess I don't need to sweat the I-134 so I can complete it and get on with printing e-mails, getting prints from the negatives, and oh ya, cleaning. :(

Looks like you got your answers Jim. The bank letter I have simply states my balance, the date and when the account was opened. It is signed by an officer of the bank. When I asked about the letter I was referred to a legal office of the bank. They stated they do not do these. It turns out most banks don't. THe lawyer even laughed saying the feds always ask for forms that are not available but they hope to get them anyway.

Luckily I have known the Operations Manager since she was a teller. She knew what I needed because she once needed the same for a relative. Anyway, she wrote me a letter giving the info available to her.

Who says it isn't who you know in America :ph34r:

Well, shoot Dan,

I thought I had found a weak point from Washington Mutual, but I guess they did more than most. They had me talk with a new accounts officer, and although she had never heard of the thing before, she found ouut what she could and worked with me to do the best she could to get me a letter and as much info as she could pull up.

Only problem, was the 3 to 4 dollar intl. fee if I use my debt card there. Guess I'll take travelers check and use my Bank of China savings account. Curious, I had left it with about 750 yuan when I left, does B of C have any penalties for lack of activity over any length of time?

Well, shoot Dan,

I thought I had found a weak point from Washington Mutual, but I guess they did more than most. They had me talk with a new accounts officer, and although she had never heard of the thing before, she found ouut what she could and worked with me to do the best she could to get me a letter and as much info as she could pull up.

Only problem, was the 3 to 4 dollar intl. fee if I use my debt card there. Guess I'll take travelers check and use my Bank of China savings account. Curious, I had left it with about 750 yuan when I left, does B of C have any penalties for lack of activity over any length of time?

Jim: Wa Mu can print out a statement for the last year. Just tell the lady to filter it so it only shows deposits. One of the clerks in my branch had to show the manager how to do this!

As for cash, I had a few hundred $$ well stashed in each of my carry on bags. There is also a money changer at LAX so I arrived in China with 2000 RMB.

Travelers checks might be a problem but paying a 3 or 4 bucks ATM fee to get a many thousand RMB isn't such a bad rate. Bank of China or your hotel will change $ to RMB (but you will have to wait for an hour at most Bank of China branches).

Oh yea, I wrote a letter also to the VO since I couldn't be there - was never looked at!

We wanna see pictures when you get back!!! :greenblob:

Thanks Steve,

I got all of the paperwork for 6 months, and from what others have said, it looks like Wa Mu is one of the few that even will do this. B) What I was saying about B of C, is that I have an account with them from my last visit. As long as it is still active, I can just deposit T checks there, and use my B of C atm card to get cash without any fees. :huh: I'm just not sre that the account stays open if there is no activity for a while. If it is like an American bank, I'll have no problem.

Now that I've finished reasuring Jen that scheduling the physical in GZ would be easy, and we would have no problems getting results in 24 hours, how do we do that? :blink: is this handled walk up, or should one of us be contacting some clinic to get scheduled? I know this is easy, as many have done it. :P

Guest blsqueaky
See? told ya. That why this is my stupid question tread. :D I know there is more to come. Thanks guys. I put this down then as a productive day as far as paperwork goes.

For tomorrow? my visa and complete the I-134. and ohh ya, maybe to a notary, but we'll see what time it is then. thanks again.

You think that now you are asking the questions, just wait till you get to the I-864 and the other forms. On the I-864, you will right now get two diferent sets of instructions. I had to call NVC to ask what exactly they wanted, oh, and nothing as far as bank statements unless you are self employed

See? told ya. That why this is my stupid question tread. :D I know there is more to come. Thanks guys. I put this down then as a productive day as far as paperwork goes.

You think that now you are asking the questions, just wait till you get to the I-864 and the other forms. On the I-864, you will right now get two diferent sets of instructions. I had to call NVC to ask what exactly they wanted, oh, and nothing as far as bank statements unless you are self employed

What?

There is going to be more? :P I actually think we are going to be under control. It's funny how all you see around here just gets forgotten once it's your turn. :lol:

Hey Jim, I think we've just been in training to deal with the heavy domestic stuff. I don't even want to think about it. After the visa approval I want to have two months of just being together before we start the next stage. After all once they get here DOS gives us a 90 day reprive don't they?