Communist Youth League?

Guest Friend

I understand in University or high school, all chinese have to join the communist youth league? Is this a problem on the application or with a fiance visa? Please advise experience.

That's not a problem. From what I know, most of my classmates and friends of my age were members of communist youth league. I was very worried too when I had to file out the information about any political organzations, party,etc I've even involved in. I put on the form that I used to be communist youth league member when I was 16 years old. And after I worked, I was the member of labor union of our plant. I was also very concerned because many of my family members are communist party member-----my father, two of my uncles,my brother-in-law, my cousin. I was afraid that the consulate might check and find out the fact, and it would affect my visa issuance.

But the interview went very smoothly, It only took me about five minutes before the consular approved my visa.

In a way the preceeding comments might be right in specific cases. However, it would not be a good idea to assume there will be no problem with CP membership in China. I have had several cases where it was the ground for refusal.

There is a specific statute that makes membership in a CP which controls the government. eg., China, reason for being inadmissible for 5 years AFTER the person quits the Party (that period is 2 years only if the CP does not control the government, eg., Italy).

Here are some of the nuances and variations. If membership was in a CP solely while under 16 years old, by operation of law (you might need to consult a lawyer on the meaning of this one) or to obtain the essentials of living it does not make the person inadmissible.

I refer you to 8 USC Sec. 1182(a)(3)(D), the specific statute on membership in a totalitarian party.

Hi-

I don't think it should be a problem. Taking part in the communist youth league is very different from actually joining the Communist Party. You have to formally join the CCP. So don't worry! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

I understand in University or high school, all chinese have to join the communist youth league?  Is this a problem on the application or with a fiance visa?  Please advise experience.

Do not write it down on papers... :rolleyes:

I understand in University or high school, all chinese have to join the communist youth league?  Is this a problem on the application or with a fiance visa?  Please advise experience.

Do not write it down on papers... :)

not a problem at all..

hehee... maybe it would not be a problem in interview... but it will be marked on your fiancee or wife's immigrant documents for a life time... so why need to offer a 'handle' to the gov?

well, don't listen to me if you don't believe me :P

It is absolutely not a problem. While I agree to a point that "they" don't need to know, if one were caight lying about such a thing then maybe you are lying about other things as well???????

Sarah was a member of the party while she worked for the navy as a translator. We debated and worried that it might be a problem. Finally, we decided to declare it on all forms where required and it was never an issue at all.

Dave

It is absolutely not a problem. While I agree to a point that "they" don't need to know, if one were caight lying about such a thing then maybe you are lying about other things as well???????

Sarah was a member of the party while she worked for the navy as a translator. We debated and worried that it might be a problem. Finally, we decided to declare it on all forms where required and it was never an issue at all.

Dave

While it maybe no sweat for one, it can be a big deal for another -- all depends on who is processing your paper and what kind of political situation we are under and how well they understand the REAL CHINA --- who would have thought of 9/11 and the name clearance 2 years ago?

If I were in your shoes, I would adopt "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Do not lie on any paperwork (will come back and haunt you later), however, unless a question like: "Are you a communist party (youth league) member?" and you will have to tell the truth, I would not volunteer any information that may be sensitive for background checking, etc.

Kate is right -- once you write it down, it will be in your immigration file for life. No sweat, but why bother???

Just my 2 cents.