Communist Youth League?

Guest Friend

The question asks directly about organizations and specifies political. So the questions does have to be answered and answered truthfully. I really appreciate all the replies received. Leave for China tomorrow for interview coming up shortly.

If I were in your shoes, I would adopt "don't ask, don't tell" policy.  Do not lie on any paperwork (will come back and haunt you later), however, unless a question like: "Are you a communist party (youth league) member?"  and you will have to tell the truth, I would not volunteer any information that may be sensitive for background checking, etc.

Kate is right -- once you write it down, it will be in your immigration file for life.  No sweat, but why bother???

Just my 2 cents.

I am sorry but I still have to disagree with my esteemed colleagues. :huh:

China is a Communist country in name only. Everyone knows that. Moreover, I have never heard of person being rejected for this reason. Has anyone else?

Next, they do directly ask the question on the p4 "Please list all organizations to which has ever been a member" or something to that effect. This question is not asked until that point. One simply has to weigh the possible risks of being caught lying verse the risks that the US Government will suddenly care about such things again. IMHO, it would be a shame to be denied a visa because one gets caught lying about something that nobody even cares about. It's also quite possible that nobody cares how u answer this question since it's no longer important.

dave

hehehe... still discussing about it? cool! I like forensic :huh:

none would caught you were lying on that, because...

in this visa process... US gov is not able to know you are a communist or in communist youth league unless you told them...http://www.chat001.com/bbsimg/31.gif

Immigrant Membership in Totalitarian Party

original link on web

i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated

>with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or

>affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

>

>

>(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an

>alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the

>satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the

>satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the

>membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when

>under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining

>employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether

>necessary for such purposes.

iii) Exception for past membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien

because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the

satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the

satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that-

(I) the membership or affiliation terminated at least-

(a) 2 years before the date of such application, or

(B ) 5 years before the date of such application, in the case of an alien

whose membership or affiliation was with the party controlling the

government of a foreign state that is a totalitarian dictatorship as of such

date, and

(I I) the alien is not a threat to the security of the United States.

(i v) Exception for close family members.-The Attorney General may, in the

Attorney General's discretion, waive the application of clause (i) in the

case of an immigrant who is the parent, spouse, son, daughter, brother, or

sister of a citizen of the United States or a spouse, son, or daughter of an

alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence for humanitarian purposes,

to assure family unity, or when it is otherwise in the public interest if

the immigrant is not a threat to the security of the United States."

... more on that link

I want to step back into this line of chat as I think Chinadave2001's comments highlite what might be a potential trap for the unaware. China is controled by a Communist government. "...in name only..." is meaningless as far as the U.S. immigrant law is concerned. A communist gov't is a communist gov't is a communist gov't. China has the strips to prove it. Ask the unground Christian churches, Falun Gong and the Cahtolic Church in Rome that cannot operate in China without being under the control of the Chinese government, look at the censorship, look at the treatment of independent labor organizers, look at promoters of democracy; in name only, I doubt it. Of course the Chinese government and the CP wants you to think it is a good gov't and the CP is munificent.

What I am suggesting is not to take the issue lightly. In some, maybe many, cases it is not going to be a problem, but it can be a problem, making an applicant ineligible for an immigrant visa for up to 5 years after she/he quits the party or can otherwise get a waiver.

I would also say the Guangzhou IV unit takes such membership more seriously than in the past. I have had 2 refusals on that ground plus several others who had to jump through hoops to get the IV unit to see the CP membership issue should not bar a iv for them.

This is a heads up, not a worry bead. Be prepared to deal with it if the situation exists.

• 11 months later...

I agree with Dave, Picking a political party is like picking your favorite color. Whatever, it doesn't matter. :ph34r: You can jump ship anytime. As long as the person your voting for is doing what is in the best interest of our country. (Right now I think I country should focus more heavily on getting my wife over here to be with me.) :D China is communist in name only, although I can see how it does effect my wifes parents lives. They retired in the same apartment they lived in when they were working for the company that owned the buildings. (I never saw that before, where the company owned there employees away from work too.) They have hot water during the day, only during set hours. That would never fly in the US. My impression of China was totally changed after my first visit to Shanghai. Amazing place, I love it there. The people are friendly and I never felt threatened or like I was put in a dangerous situation, with the exception of a few crazy taxi drivers. :wacko: Being free Americans, don't we have the right to vote for communism if we want to? Did we quit when the Germans bombed pearl harbor!!! No! let's protest, who's coming with me? :P :unsure:

Guest blsqueaky

Yes, this would fly in the US. I remember many years ago, a couple worked for Longaberger Basket here in Ohio. They had a strict no smoking policy. A husband and wife where fired because they were caught smoking in their home, a home that the husband and wife were paying for. The sued, never heard what happened after that.