Kim-

About the tea leaves I've just been told that it's "bad luck" to drink the same tea leaves after they've been sitting out overnight. It's just a superstition I think.

Ray- I've heard some Chinese birth control pills have testostorone in them and you can never tell about the integrity of Chinese medicine. I would recommend your wife, if she's in China, to get Marvelon- an American birth control.

The Chinese name "Ma fe lon".

Never heard of a pill you can just take once a month unless she's talking about the shot, Depoprovera. But that's every 3 months.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What about all of the jj and dd out there too (jiejie and diedie)? Why do some people from China always assume that people are meimei and gege?"

as I know, they are just short terms for "girlfriend" and "boyfriend", and only used on the internet. but even the gf is elder than the bf, we still call them "mm" and "gg".

like we have discussed (maybe in another tread) that most chinese women like dating elder men. I assume maybe 80% or 90% relationship in China are like that. and also I assume that maybe 70% realationship in US are like that as well. I guess it's normal that women seek elder men for more security, it happens everywhere in the world. so we just adopt the majority's choice I guess~ it's not a big difference

I'm not sure if it's only me who think working hard, drinking cold beverages, eating cold food, using tampons for swimming .... are unacceptable when you are in your period. coz no else chinese girls said anything about this yet. but all the friends I know, they are same like me, and I believe they won't change their mind in their whole life.

for me, I use tampons and I think it's a great invention for women, but none of my girl friends are using it~ they don't like it, or maybe they are afraid to indirectly admit that they are not "virgin" anymore~

but I'm afraid I would never use tampons to go swimming, it's still a totally unaceeptable thing for me.

in my experience, drinking cold beverages or running hard .... did make my period abnormal. in china, it's not only "old wives' tales", I think it's based on chinese medicine too, if you inquire a chinese doctor, he/she would give the same suggestion as an old wife does~

I use birth control too, but I won't use it to stop my period for a very long time, I don't think it's good for my health.

maybe i should post on 001 forum to start Pools about "if drinking or eating cold, working hard, using tampons to go swimming...are totally unacceptable for you?"~ coz seems like no chinese girl would like to join me here~

jingutierrez.

I know that Chinese has at least two important distinctions in family terms compared to English: Distinguishing the family side relative , and the identification of the sibling as older or younger.

Thus, there is not really any way of asking if you have a sister in Chinese, you'd use: gege/didi/meimei/jiejie .... in the sentence.

I've taken the use of 'mm' and 'gg' to only help identifiy the gender. In constrast, the use of 'SO' does not give us any indication of the SOs gender.

So, to me, the use of 'mm' or 'gg' is NOT meant to be understood as 'older sister' but 'girl' in gender and an 'SO' at that (girlfriend/wife).

---

As for the hard working, drinking cold drinks, eating cold food... My SO would agree with you. Although she does not use tampons, she has commented to me on these items.

Thus, there is not really any way of asking if you have a sister in Chinese, you'd use:  gege/didi/meimei/jiejie ....   in the sentence.

Sister in general is "jiemei" 姐妹。

Brother is "xiongdi" 兄弟

I think :blink:

Good to know.. wonder how much it is used?

My info comes from a few books by Yong Ho, chinese anthropology and linguistic..

Although I did find another point my SO disagreed with.. you can bet which side I fell on...

THANKS!

for me, I use tampons and I think it's a great invention for women, but none of my girl friends are using it~ they don't like it, or maybe they are afraid to indirectly admit that they are not "virgin" anymore~

Using tampons does NOT mean you aren't a virgin. In Europe and other Western countries, girls can start using tampons as soon as their period comes, it has nothing to do with virginity.

I have several chinese friends that use tampons and a few of them are still virgins. Whenever I ask if they want anything, they always ask me to send tampons :blink: and dental floss :P

Unless the law was revoked recently in Hubei Sheng a woman who is found during the premarital exam to not be a virgin faces a fine of usually several months pay. Thus there can be economic concerns in a country that manadates morality by law in the long Chinese tradition of the legalists.

Two years ago the Wuhan internet boards were full of protests about this practice. The intended grooms were most vocal because it often became locally known that they had to pay the fine. Legalists meet loss of face and modernization.

The Legalists believed that man would look out for himself first and was therefore evil. Like Confucius, the Legalists wanted to unify China, but they wanted to do it very differently. They believed that society functioned best through strong state control and absolute obedience to authority. They created laws that ordered strict punishments and rewards for behavior.

Thus, there is not really any way of asking if you have a sister in Chinese, you'd use:  gege/didi/meimei/jiejie ....   in the sentence.

Sister in general is "jiemei" 姐妹。

Brother is "xiongdi" 兄弟

I think :rolleyes:

What does "SO" really mean? I thought "SO" can only mean a wife or a fiancee. I noticed that Amber called her fiance "SO". Is this correct?

Huh- that is really fascinating. I have heard of people calling everyone gege or didi or Xiao- like people call my husband Xiao- his old friends and etc.- but that is fascinating that no-one uses jie jie and didi for love relationships. Hmmm- I will call my husband Yeye and see how that goes over.

Xiao is a prefix to the name as I understood it used by ones own age group or younger for friends. That would make it similar to the kun suffix used in Japanese or like Dan or Danny rather than Daniel. A matter of familiarity.

Can any Chinese native speakers help me with this?

SO = Significant Other. It can be applied to either female or male genders. It does have to be a married couple, or an engaged couple either.

Think you are missing a not on that one. Originally SO was a way for couples living together but not married to avoid long explanations and embarassment when introducing their "SO". by around the late 80's it started applying to any person with whom you have an involved intimate relationship.

SO = Significant Other. It can be applied to either female or male genders. It not does have to be a married couple, or an engaged couple either.

Think you are missing a not on that one. Originally SO was a way for couples living together but not married to avoid long explanations and embarassment when introducing their "SO". by around the late 80's it started applying to any person with whom you have an involved intimate relationship.

I am I missing a 'not' ? :rolleyes: