Interview questions while we wait.

Today we are to pick up the visa. I will let you know if this goes okay when I can. Meanwhile some more things while I can still remember.

She was about the tenth person called for the interview so out early-230pm.

When she was called to the window, she was surprised to see it was a black woman who was not smiling, and so while she felt the atmosphere was tense, she went forward and piled the two bags of papers we had brought onto the counter, basically in an attitude of "I am ready, no problem".

First she tried to present my passport and a notarized letter I wrote asking for the petition to be extended to receive the visa and that we intend to marry after her arrival in the US. The VO glanced at it without taking it and started on the questions.

My fiance insisted on English because she also felt the translator was no good, or would not translate clearly. I think this is a personal thing. However I had already been advising her to use English no matter what anyway, as I feel while certainly it needs improvment, she can get along fine. You should note that the translator was not dissmissed for the interview, although not used. Here are the questions as best remembered, and retold.

VO-Have you ever applied for a USA visa?

No.

VO-Have you been to any other countries?

No.

VO-How did you meet?

On the internet

VO-When did you get to know each other on the internet?

Gave date.

VO-When did you meet in person?

Gave the 3 times including now.

VO-Have you any children?

No, never married.

VO-Does your fiance have any children?

No, never married.

VO-How old is your fiance?

Had forgotten, tried to answer but had calculation confusion...

VO-When was your fiance born?

Gave date.

VO-How does your fiance live finacially?

Showed I-134/taxes/pay/bank statements...only looked at top sheet which was IRS1040. Did not take it or open to any other pages.

My SO then asked....

Would you like to see our pictures?

She looked at the first two.

VO-Come back tomorrow to pick up visa.

My fiance then said that she brought all these papers for her to look at while trying to put them all away, the VO just smiled and waved goodbye.

We had about 65 emails, one for every week since we started, but this was not asked for.

Had my phone cards, and a notarized letter from me explaining the phone cards plus she had some kind of print out showing IP numbers that show my calls. Again not asked for.

No papers of mine were kept.

My SO feels that she might have been trying to confuse her, but this could be a cultural differance, because when I talked with my SO about asking age related questions, the difference between asking "When is your birthday?" and "When were you born", most Americans would likely say "August 2nd" to the first, and "1960" to the second, but my SO would tend to answer "August 2nd, 1960" to both questions. Something to make note of if you are learning/teaching English.

My SO and I had previously discussed "Black Pearl" and she felt, and I agreed, that people who might get her are might be ones who have more questionable visa applications. I think this also helped thinking about this before hand as my SO kept smiling and confident through out, as I had told her we have all the evidence, present it as needed. This is what she did. If I am to make my own assement whether our case would warrent being sent to the "expert" on unusual cases, I would say we might fall into that catagory. There is a large age difference, I have never been married, and my finances are not the average normal situation, meaing I dont work a nine-to-five corp job.

Other notes:

I talked with another American here, and we both agree that based on other conversations, and what we see at CFL/01, it appears likely that they may not look seriously at your papers until the next day....since unless you show up it would be a waste of time beyond the preliminary checks. Meaning our I-129f was a very clean document, tabbed and organized. (Which I had also a copy availble for my SO at the interview as well)

We went to the clinic this morning and got the immunizations done, but the Yellow booklet did not have the World Health Organization stamp on it like I expected, so I went back to the embassy to inquire again at American Citizens Services about this. Basically, no one really knew what I was talking about, but they did confer with each other in the back on it and got a supervisor, and said they felt that it should be okay. We shall see. Never had this questin before they said.

While I was there, and older gentleman started to get irate at the window saying that he had been there twice already at that his relationship was valid and that he has done all the things asked of him, and does not know what more is wanted. He was getting loud and angry, and I could see other people waiting were getting very concerned, and all the window people started towards the situation. Security had not been called, or at least arrived by the time I was there, but the gist of things I got was he wanted to speak to the person in charge, and that he is an American, and wanted help, just like the sign said. I dont know how this resolved out, because I was done, and by then the room was strating to fill up. By the time I went back downstairs, there was already another additional 20 people wanting in. I note he had about a 3/4 inch stack or less of papers with him, less than my sample email stack I would guess.

Additionally, we talked to the people I mentioned in the other thread that had the word "VHS" on the window of the small building next to where you wait to start going inside. The woman told my fiance they can make the VHS tape for you five to seven minutes long...cost is 300RMB if you do your own talking, 400RMB if you follow their instructions on what and how to talk on it. Needless to say, I did not like the sound of this new industry, making me wonder why this is happening, or just a novel way to prey upon the Chinese who don't understand what is needed...and gullible Americans.

This morning there were a few more Americans about, and saw 15 people with babies in a line up.

I will get home Monday, so will renew the list then. Our plans are still uknown at this time. She will come in a month or two.

Thats all for now.

Noonefu:

Thanks for the update. Your detailed description of your fiancee's interview is greatly appreciated. Information like this is always valuable to those that follow !!!

Your insights on the entire process and your case in specific is great information and I am happy that you have included this.

By 4:30pm it iwll all be over !!!! The visa is coming !!!!

Mark

Hi Jason+Joanna,

Well this is pretty exciting that we are in the P4 queue. I contacted GUZ and they said they had received our documents and that we are in processing now. Whatever that means ... I guess now we wait for the 100 days or so before the P4 spits out. Anyone able to add if that is the correct amount of time we are waiting for ... that would be nice to be there when the P4 packet arrives while I am in Shanghai.