So many teas

It would seem she does not trust the bottled water company. Not using tap water is understandable since it is made safe with chemicals that Chinese prefer not to do. Boiling is a clean way to make water safe. Since you didn't say you got sick from the drinks, I guess they boiled the water for ice. I never saw ice at any of the homes I visited.

The water issue may be a moot point in Beijing soon. They are building a huge water purification plant to provide potable water for the Olympic visitors. Of course after the Olympics they may decide to run it without chlorine or chloramine and boil it at home again as they seem to prefer water without chemical additives that we prefer.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky
It would seem she does not trust the bottled water company. Not using tap water is understandable since it is made safe with chemicals that Chinese prefer not to do. Boiling is a clean way to make water safe. Since you didn't say you got sick from the drinks, I guess they boiled the water for ice. I never saw ice at any of the homes I visited.

Oh, she trusted the bottled water company there. She was buying it all of the time, and at times, she would boil the tap water, and refill the bottles and put them in the fridge. As far as the ice, we would make ours there with the bottled water, and what she boiled. Not sure how her parents did it, but I would have to assume that it was from boiled. No, I never got sick from any of this, but sometimes when her brother or brother in law got heavy handed with the scotch and I was not paying attention.

Oh she also trusts the bottle water here. Many times she will stop and buy a bottle or two and drink it right there, and even when cold. I long time ago gave up trying to figure out the wife.

• 4 weeks later...

Since my handle name is WuLongTea, I thought I should add something to this thread.

Here in the US, I buy my WuLong tea from www.tentea.com. I have only only bought their cheapest grade WuLong tea, I find it is good enough, no reason to pay the higher cost.

One other thing I have discovered, is the calming effect of Chamomile tea. I had read about this but never tried it before. After my last trip to China, I brought back a bag of Chamomile tea, and I am amazed.

I drink it after dinner, and usually within an hour I am already feeling sleepy. I try to keep myself awake until its time for bed sometimes.

Then I have the best night sleep I ever have, and usually have a hard time to wake up in the morning.

Maybe it is just me, or maybe it is just psychological, but at least it seems to help me get a good night sleep.

And I would not try it during the day, otherwise I might fall asleep at my desk! :)

- WuLongTea

Chamomille is an old time herbal remedy. I use it as one of the main ingredients in the aromattherapy blends I sell. It is antiinflammatory, antidepresent and sedative. Works well for relaxing, relieving stomach problems and reducing swellings from bumps and arthritis.

Passion fruit tea and Valerian pills work well also as relaxants to sleep well :)

One can always benefit from proper use of herbs. When I was sick from having something fried in bad lard in China I mixed a tea that did wonders. I had chamomille tea with a drop of fennel oil. When it hit I had really bad cramps and terrible diarrhea. It lasted for 5 days but after taking it there were no cramps and I just went frequently having mild diarrhea. I am sure if I didn't have my fennel oil with me activities would have been limited. I also put lavendar oil in the bathroom drains when we stay somewhere.

Yes, the old hot water. I remember being in China last August, temp in the 90-100 range and constantly getting hot water. ;) Would have died for a few ice cubes

I was in Shanghai and Fuzhou last July and I enjoyed plenty of lychee. Hot coffee in the morning, hot tea afternoon, hot pot for late lunch.early dinner, hot tea at night, and lychees the rest of the day and night.

Anybody else hooked to lychee?

I drank tap water.

I like most fruits. Lychee (lizhi) are great. When we were on the Changjiang I enjoyed buying fruits at each stop. As we went southwest the fruits were more tropical. Near Chongqing they were selling bananas growing on the hills.

I just finished dinner which was a fresh Durian and a plate of rambutan. Yummy

Does anyone know that the only fruit tree native to the United States is the pawpaw. It is the northern most growing tropical tree in the world.

We visited my SO's cousin in Hengxian south of Nanning. He gave us "white" tea from his friend's tea business. This tea is supposedly called white because it is picked in the early dawn from the early spring buds while the dew is still on the leaves. I was told to put several large 3 finger pinches of loose leaves into the small tea pot after the pot is first rinsed with hot water. Then, add hot water to rinse the tea and almost immediately pour out the water. Then make from 3 to 5 pots of tea according to your taste.

Evryone, including the tea shop owner, refused to drink "flower tea." They said the flowers were routinely sprayed with insesticide at or near picking time.

My SO and her father both 'yelled' at me to never eat a banana on an empty stomach.