Need Help !!!!!Social Security Card for K2

My fiancee and daughter are here. We intend to get married soon. Social Security took my fiancee's application and stated they will process. They refused the seven year old K-2 daughter application. My health insurance company in work will want her number to add the daughter. What do I do.

I have heard of similar problems with health insurance. All of the ones I know of were resolved by using the passport or visa number. Actually the SS# is not the only ID accepted but many people think so because the forms are written that way. Once you are married they both qualify for social security numbers since the SSA law only requires a need not residency. Distribution of your SS benefits as wife and child establishes that need. You just have to get to someone that understands the regulations they are following.

Good luck.

Most health insurance will let you use all nines for an SSN-999-99-9999. If you need the SSN you will have to apply for an EAD. Then SSA will give you a SSN.

Yea, what Trigg said. There have been several posts that have commented on the SSA position that only the K-1 holder and not the K-2 holder is entitled to an SSN without an EAD. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's been SSA's consistent position.

Double check with your insurance company. Mine (Aetna) let me add the family to my policy by using 000-00-0000 until the actual numbers came in.

Actually it is not consistent and they can be forced to follow their own regulations if you want to go through the hassles. Bringing the SSA regulations in with you often resolves it. I think this may be one of those East coast/West coast differences in application of policy that often ocurrs.

Isn't it nice that in this country we have one law for everyone :blink: :ph34r:

Yes, it is true they do not need to issue the seven year old an SSN since the seven year old will not be allowed to work. It also states in the laws they will issue you an SSN if you can show some requirement for the number, ie.. insurance requirement of SSN to sign you up. All you need to do is get a letter from your work or insurance company stating they require the seven year old has an SSN for insurance purposes, take it to your SSN office and then they should give her an SSN number.

Hmmm, as always some good ideas. We have the same problem. First the SS lady told me my daughter (K-2) had to be 18 to get the SS #. After her 18th b-day they said she needed an EAD. She is a student so no EAD required for now. I was just about to send away for the EAD anyways but thanks to CFL I have some new ammo... thanks!!

badda boom.

Louis

Actually it is not consistent and they can be forced to follow their own regulations if you want to go through the hassles. Bringing the SSA regulations in with you often resolves it. I think this may be one of those East coast/West coast differences in application of policy that often ocurrs.

Isn't it nice that in this country we have one law for everyone  ;)  :blink:

The regulations will say that you are entitled to a SSN in only one of two instances. The first is for work, hence the need for an EAD for the K-2er since it is not one of the listed visa categories that allows for work without specific authorization. The second is that you need the SSN because another federal or state statute requires that you have one in order to receive a particular benefit, assistance, or service from the government. Documentation that you must provide to support this can be difficult and usually requires the involvment of the governmental agency.

I always wondered how this second instance tied into the I-864.

Isn't it nice that in this country we have one law for everyone  ;)  :blink:

The regulations will say that you are entitled to a SSN in only one of two instances. The first is for work, hence the need for an EAD for the K-2er since it is not one of the listed visa categories that allows for work without specific authorization. The second is that you need the SSN because another federal or state statute requires that you have one in order to receive a particular benefit, assistance, or service from the government. Documentation that you must provide to support this can be difficult and usually requires the involvment of the governmental agency.

I always wondered how this second instance tied into the I-864.

A number of people I know in our area were issued SSN with hardly any questions asked. They were asked for proof of marriage which was enough to show the spouse is the beneficiary under SSA regulations. The cards came in two weeks. No reference was made to applying for adjustment of status or work authorization. One of the friends said that a clerk initially objected to accepting the application but the supervisor heard and came right over to straighten it out.

Of course in these cases the SS card states "Not for Work" but once the work authorization is received it over rides the statement on the card. Then a request is easily made to remove the work restriction at SSA.

Perhaps they are more aware of the need here in California since SSN have been such a political issue as part of the driver's license issue. Many legal immigrants have been denied licenses because the computer wasn't poperly updated for up to 6 months. In some cases this has resulted in lost jobs in addition to other hardships. Recently it has been quick.