My little hair dresser.

I had mentioned elsewhere, that Jen is working like crazy to learn hairdressing as well as manicure/pedicure in China. She is so motivated, it will be hard to keep her patient once here about getting a job and starting her career. I can't blame here, and frankly, her dedication is one of the things I love about her. :wub:

Besides the obvious need to improve her English, has anyone else had this be the proffession of their SO? I'm thinking ahead here a bit, but I'd like to get a little direction as to where to go with this. I am aware of the need to be licsensed here, and want to make sure I can have an idea for her as to what she will be needing to do. B)

My Lao po was doing the same thing. I explained to her that it was great and to learn as much as she can, But to understand that she will still have to go to school, I think one year is the shortest for a cosmotology License. I am pretty sure they need a certain amount of hours to be able to take the state exam, so there is no chance to "challenge" the test.

Gene,

Talking with my mother, she tells me the skills they learn in China make them highly sought after here. I know also in part the main difference is due to what products are use there may not be leagle here. I wonder if there would be language support for that. Now if I can learn how to spell license. :wub:

Yes I can understand that, Hua can hand paint tiny little flowers on nails that are beautiful. And I will never have to pay for a Haircut again. The Beauty schools that I checked out here in Washington required good english, absolutly no foreign language support at all. :wub:

Now don't go learning to spell and make the rest of us look bad B)

You never have to worry about my spelling improving to that point. B) If you ever knew how I have changed what I was going to say because I couldn't spell the fancy words I wanted to throw around. :wub: California seems to be so sensitive to immigrants, I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but reguardless, Modesto does not have that big of a Chinese community so English skills will be needed for customer service.

That is true here also Robert and there is even a bigger market for that in manicure with the high end doing those little pictures on the nails. B) But then, that brings up the need to drive too. :o

We explored the licensing for KK, my step daughter, who has some sort of Chinese manicure certification - don't know exactly what kind. Licensing will vary from state to state. Most require a high school education and a written/practical test. Some states allow an apprenticeship. Georgia, like some states, will not recognize KK's certification and will require her to go through the whole battery of tests, etc. in Georgia.

Jim here is info for manicurist in California. I have had many friends who are immigrants that took this license.

Manicurist

Vocations Requiring License: Manicurists (nail care).

Fees: The initial fee of $35 includes examination and licensing costs; Renewal: $40.

Examination Frequency: Monday - Friday.

Examination Locations: Los Angeles and Fairfield.

Experience Requirement: Must have completed a course in nail care, not less than 400 hours, from a school approved by the Program.

Average Time to Process Application: 6-8 weeks.

Fee Period: Every two years.

Authority: Business and Professions Code; Chap. 10, Div. 3.

Other Special License Requirements: None.

Information and Applications: P.O. Box 944226, Sacramento, CA 94244-2260; (916) 445-7061 or (916) 445-7008.

http://commerce.ca.gov/state/ttca/ttca_bus...Path=sec14#mani

She will need the course to pass the exam, that is what the course preps for. The exam is in English but she is allowed to bring someone to translate.

I have gone as both translator and model. The examiner felt so sorry for the woman who did my nails that she got an A. Figured if mine could be made to look decent she could do anyones.

Jim here is info for manicurist in California. I have had many friends who are immigrants that took this license.

Manicurist

Vocations Requiring License: Manicurists (nail care).

Fees: The initial fee of $35 includes examination and licensing costs; Renewal: $40.

Examination Frequency: Monday - Friday.

Examination Locations: Los Angeles and Fairfield.

Experience Requirement: Must have completed a course in nail care, not less than 400 hours, from a school approved by the Program.

Average Time to Process Application: 6-8 weeks.

Fee Period: Every two years.

Authority: Business and Professions Code; Chap. 10, Div. 3.

Other Special License Requirements: None.

Information and Applications: P.O. Box 944226, Sacramento, CA 94244-2260; (916) 445-7061 or (916) 445-7008.

http://commerce.ca.gov/state/ttca/ttca_bus...Path=sec14#mani

She will need the course to pass the exam, that is what the course preps for. The exam is in English but she is allowed to bring someone to translate.

I have gone as both translator and model. The examiner felt so sorry for the woman who did my nails that she got an A. Figured if mine could be made to look decent she could do anyones.

Dan?

I shoulda know that when you chimed in, you'd have all the details. :D That's good information. Thanks. Just don't tell Jennifer about the being the model. :huh: Funny that only two cities are listed for the whole state.

Have you heard anything yet about a p4?

Haven't heard anything yet but it is about time to badger GUZ with another email.

Have you checked out the schools yet?

Name: Adrian's Beauty College - Modesto

Address: 124 Floyd Avenue

City/State/Zip: Modesto, CA 95350

Telephone: (209) 526-2040

Hours: Call for class schedule

Notes: Offering courses in Manicuring, Cosmetology and Esthetician.

Languages Spoken: English

Email: Pcochran@inreach.com

Dan,

I know the feeling, I've been alternating weeks between badgering DOS in washinton and GZ. This week is GZ. :) I'm taking down this info but I was thinking of incorperating a little of Trigg's advise and having her be involed with this process when she is here. I figure we can work on this together now that I am off in the right direction. :D