K1 interview passed -- sealed envelope given

My S.O. passed her K-1 interview last Friday. She was given a sealed envelope only to be opened by Immigration, apparently. She doesn't know, but hopes that her updated I-797 is inside.

Does anyone know what happens with this envelope? Does she give it to the DHS officer upon entering the States? She is apparently also supposed to hand carry her chest X-ray. Is this also for entry to the States? If so, will this whole procedure require a separate interview again, and should I plan her connecting flight accordingly? How complicated is the entry procedure going to be on the K-1 visa?

Thanks!

Yes, DO NOT OPEN THE SEALED PACKET!!!

Bring it with you on your carry on luggage!!

The customs officer will open it and look at all of the papers inside. Then he punched some keys at his terminal and let her through with a "Welcome to the U.S.A." Whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

P.S. They never asked to look at the x-rays!

Was her I-797 inside the envelope?

I-797 sounds like a NOA. That is not needed for entry. She will need NOA2 for filing AOS after you two get married. Guard the original with your life! The original is required with AOS - if it is not available, you get to pay about $200 and wait a few months to get a replacement.

Just to add a comment to don's - I've seen a few posts on CFL where the immigrating fiancé(e) handed the I-797 (provided that's NOA2) to the Immigration officer at the Port of Entry. Make sure your fiancé(e) does NOT do this, or you'll have the additional fee and wait don mentioned. Since this document was sent to the American fiancé(e) (or spouse), the immigrating fiancé(e) (or spouse) should not have it when passing through immigration. Hold on to it!

First off Congratulations beijingjj on her passing the interview.

I know my fiancee only has a copy of the 797, I still have the original. I will find out what the procedure is on Wednesday. That is when she arrives in the US. House is getting clean slowly. :angry:

Dave

Wait a minute, this is worrying. I remember reading (here? somewhere) that she should take the I-797 with her to Guangzhou and have it extended, because they all expire before the interview date is granted. She gave it to them when she went to pick up her visa and was given back the sealed envelope. She is hoping that means it is in the sealed envelope. Are you trying to tell me that it isn't, and that it was a mistake to give it to the consulate people at all? Wouldn't they have known that it is not something they need from her?

Thanks.

Well, I don't want to worry you, but she should not have given it to Guangzhou. Even if its date expires, she doesn't have to take it to Guangzhou. Guangzhou shouldn't have taken it from her, or should have returned it if she did. Maybe it's in with her other documents? If not, it may be in the envelope -- see if she can get it at immigration when they open it.

If not, don't worry it's not the end of the world. Her visa is intact and she's coming, so don't worry. You'll need the form when you apply for AOS, but even if the original of the form is lost, you can get another copy for a fee.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens when the envelope is opened. She says that one corner of the envelope is cut off so that you can kind of see inside. Maybe she can see if it's in there.

How long does it take to request the replacement I-797? Maybe I'll go ahead and do that now to save time later.

It's always something....

JJ