GUANGZHOU WARNING

My poor little Lu Li was returning to GZ, where she lives, Tuesday morning at 5:00 AM and was mugged outside the train station. She had gone back to Hunan to get a new single certificate and say goodbye to family and friends. She got a little banged up but is basically OK but her luggage and handbag were all taken. In it of course was her ID card, her passport and the new single certificate. Now she must go back home again and get all her documents replaced.

Twice before she related incidents she had seen where women had their purses taken in broad daylight. China and especially the big cities like GZ are very dangerous in this regard. I would recommend telling SOs arriving there to be very careful.

There must be a special corner in hell for bastards that prey on women like this. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the incident but glad she is ok. Personal safety is another reason that the interviews should be able to be held in other Consulates. It is unreasonable to expect them to travel so far to a place they don't know and where they know no one. Most don't even know the local language for crying out loud. At least when they get to the U.S. they have us to meet them.

My poor little Lu Li was returning to GZ, where she lives, Tuesday morning at 5:00 AM and was mugged outside the train station. She had gone back to Hunan to get a new single certificate and say goodbye to family and friends. She got a little banged up but is basically OK but her luggage and handbag were all taken. In it of course was her ID card, her passport and the new single certificate. Now she must go back home again and get all her documents replaced.

Twice before she related incidents she had seen where women had their purses taken in broad daylight. China and especially the big cities like GZ are very dangerous in this regard. I would recommend telling SOs arriving there to be very careful.

There must be a special corner in hell for bastards that prey on women like this. :D

That sucks Roger. I know exactly how you feel. Bing got mugged by some punks on a motor scooter in Nanning once. knocked her down stole her purse and punched her once just for meaness. Luckily no important documents were stolen. That helpless feeling of not being able to be there to comfort her along with wanting to wring the punks necks is not a good one. I hope she is ok and recover the documents quickly.

I got the whole story now and it was exactly as you described Carl. Two slimeballs on a motorbike came up from behind and knocked Lu Li to the ground, pulled out knives and took her suitcase and bag. The police evidently could not care less because this happens all the time. It now will take 2-3 weeks to replace her ID and passport she estimates. She is bruised and scared but otherwise will be OK. A good friend is staying with her for now.

Thanks so much to everyone for your concern and kind words. I wonder if this could be made into a general warning for anyone who's SO has to arrive in GZ by train to be very careful and avoid after dark hours especially.

Roger & Lu Li, battered and bruised but still standing...

Unfortunate to hear what happened. We get complacent sometimes thinking the crime rate is so low here, but the petty stuff is quite common. We live in a relatively nice area of town, and watched one day as to guys on a motor scooter snached some poor girls purse down the block from where we were walking. Thing is, the guys on the scooter were clean and well dressed, wearing ties even. And she was walking with her boyfriend/husband.

Guangzou has something like 35 million people, treat it like any other very large city..with extremem caution.

Bob

The main train station in Guangzhou is one of the most awesome transportation hubs in China ... what could trully be called the "masses" from all over China passing through in great numbers... I went through there twice this last summer during the heat wave, shimmering, massive wet heat ... looking out to the square in front of the station, perhaps several thousand or more people squatting or seated in lose lines many with what looked like all of their worldly possessions.... The air was so bad that pollution obscured those furthest from the station entrance, lending the feeling that the squatting masses extended endlessly into the smog....

Obviously, a perfect place for preditors... Roger, let me add my relief that Lu Li wasn't seriously hurt! We took the overnight train from Changsha last summer and arrived in GZ early morning, and we could have been perfect targets, since I remember that I didn't have my guard up at that time in the morning!

I'm sorry to hear what happened, and relieved to hear Lu Li wasn't injured ..on my last visit to GZ I actually locked stares with a suspicious character eyeballing my so's purse. I told her to carry only necessities and to hold her purse as if it were an infant...what happened to your so is always one of my worries.

Less than 36 hours after being mugged my Lu Li was back on the train to Huaihua to get new documents. She may bend but she will not break. She may look soft and feminine on the outside but inside she is as tough as nails. God I love this woman and no matter what it takes WE WILL BE TOGETHER... :greenblob: :greenblob:

ATTA GIRL!!!!

I have to be one of the luckiest blokes in the world. All the time I was in GZ with ShuPing, she kept warning me to be careful. I'd carry her bag for her and she'd keep telling me to hold it in front, not on the side. I finally gave in and kept in in front.

Mr. Bravado, I told her I was hoping some punk would come and try to snatch it. Luckily, no one attempted it. (I'd hate to be in a Chinese prison for killing a purse snatcher. :lol: )

Sorry that it happened to her, but glad to see she recovered and will get the documents replaced soon.

Oh, and Roger, you guys will be together, no doubt. Hang tough.