Chalk up another pass ....

She has to return tomorrow to pick up the visa, but looks like it's all set.

She told me they asked very few questions - I'll see if I can get them all later, but they were something like:

1. Who are you going to marry?

2. How old is he?

3. What does he do now?

4. You have been to the States before, what did you do?

She showed some pictures of her trips to the States and visiting my family, but that was about it. They didn't ask to see my I-134 or any other supporting documents.

She had to do the interview in the afternoon after submitting her documents in the morning. She hung out at some 5 star hotel nearby while she waited. She conducted the interview in English. (We're both fluent in English and Mandarin, and if I get around to it someday I'll see if I can learn some more Shanghainese so she can keep less secrets from me when talking to her mother or friends. :) )

Now, I'm trying to convince her to not throw anything away for the time being. She's trying to lighten her load and wants to toss some of the supporting documents. I guess our old e-mails are not really necessary, but I hope I can convince her to hold on to things that we might not have multiple copies of until I can make sure that we don't throw away something which we need for the AOS application.

Also, she said that lots of people seemed to have their K1 approved, so good luck to everyone else this week!

WONDERFUL news! I'm feeling encouraged.

I'm curious though - all these cases where they don't want to see the I-134 - they have already been sent earlier to NVC or whoever right?

No. Although I think I did have to list my occupation on some form, none of the documents submitted for the K1 in the U.S. provide disclosure of income or financial assets like the I-134 does.

My gut feeling (and please no one come down on me too hard on this) is that the interviewing officer may make some sort of judgment on how likely the applicant is to get a job eventually, and possibly just general information on the petitioner. My meaning is that if the applicant is somewhat older and/or does not have good English skills, the financial status of the petitioner is probably viewed as a bit more important. The existence of children (of either the applicant or the petitioner) probably weighs into this as well (obviously it does for the minimum income requirement).