LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD

I was able to come up with this info..

Contact 60 Minutes

Do you have questions about something you saw on one of the programs, or comments you would like to send?

Email

To reach the producers, anchors and correspondents of 60 Minutes II via e-mail, use the following email address:

60Minutes@cbsnews.com

Snail Mail

60 Minutes

524 West 57th St.

New York, New York 10019

Telephone

(212) 975-3247

Transcripts

To order a transcript, call: (800) 777-TEXT

Videotapes

To order a videotape, call: (800) 848-3256

Mark

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our situation was on CNN Night Line early addition last night. And the guy (supposedly one of our immigration advocats) bashed the hell out of Bush, and the rest of them, LOL He went on to say that it is pretty damn sad that we are allowing Illegals to enter this country with just a small smack on the hand, with some of them being handed lottery tickets & then welcomed in with no paperwork, But for those americans who are working hard to keep their asses in Office, it is a damn shame that we can not get a fair hand shake & that we mucst bend over & take it up the ass & like it.

Oh, it was more than a fiasco, LOL

I am thinking that there is going to be a whole lot more in the weeks to come in regards to this issue.

Apparently, we are not the only Web based forum bitching about all of this mess :blink:

Keep up the pressure people, we are just now berginning to get the notice we deserve :blink:

I talked to someone from the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs today, a Public Affairs rep. She told me she didn't believe that K-1 visas could take as long as 6 months to obtain (once the packet arrives in Guangzhou). She quoted "29 days" from the website as if she thought that was the whole time. I explained the average wait times and asked her if they were percieved as a problem or concern by the Bureau. The answer was no. I suggested to her that understaffing at Guangzhou might be the problem. She didn't agree.

It occurs to me that some people in the State Department are defensive, but that many are simply unaware of what a scandal Guangzhou is. Others may be turning a blind eye, but I sure some people would be moved if they knew the truth.

Many of you have your particular grievances, but we all share the problem of long wait times. There is really no justification for seperating fiancees or spouses for a year while a file sits in a cabinet untouched for most of that time. The inhumanity of that has to resonate with someone in power, someone for whom it really isn't a big deal to say "Hey, Guangzhou, why so damn slow?"

It will take mental toughness and thick skin, but I think it is important for us to simply call the State Department and ask for improvement. Start with the lower offices and work your way up. Be reasonable and polite, but persistant. If they say it's someone else's job, ask who and call that person. If that person won't help you or you already talked to him, call the first person again and tell him you aren't being helped by the other person. If they say it's purely a visa concern, tell them no it's not; this adversely affects U.S. China relations, the rights of American Citizens, and is the worst kind of diplomacy for our country.

We must tell them our problem if we want them to help us.

Everyone, please call a few people a day, give your specific dates and wait times and ask what they will do to speed the process. If you are in contact with (i.e., sent an email to) your congressmen, mention that. Be prepared for angry, defensive, apathetic, but occasionally interested people. If they won't help you, go up the ladder. If enough of us do this, complaints will get back down to them from their superiors. And that is the only thing that will make them act!

Here are the numbers, folks. They come from a Federal directory. Print and call. Share your feedback! If absolutely no one will help you, you will have names and numbers to report to your representatives in Congress.

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services

Deputy Assistant Secretary Janice Jacobs

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 6811, Washington, DC 20520

(202) 647-9584

Managing Director Stephen A. Edson

Columbia Plaza Office Building, 2401 E Street, NW, Room L703-H, Washington, DC 20520

(202) 663-1153

Senior Advisor Diane R. Bean

Harry S. Truman Building, 2401 E Street, NW, Room L703-G, Washington, DC 20520

Career: Country Officer (Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore), Office of Philippine, Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore Affairs, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, United States Department of State; Country Officer, Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan), United States Department of State

(202) 663-1155

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20520

Fax: (202) 647-0341

Assistant Secretary Maura Ann Harty

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 6811, Washington, DC 20748

Education: Georgetown BA

(202) 647-9576

Personal Assistant Bridget Kissinger

(202) 647-9576

Special Assistant Debra Heien

Career: Consul General, Office of the U.S. Ambassador to Hungary, U.S. Embassies and Foreign Service Posts

(202) 647-7408

Staff Assistant Stuart Fleishman

(202) 647-7948

Staff Assistant Phillip Slattery

Career: Vice Consul, Office of the U.S. Ambassador to Uzbekistan, U.S. Embassies and Foreign Service Posts

(202) 647-7948

Staff Assistant Nicole Theriot

(202) 647-7948

Office of Public Diplomacy:

China, People’s Republic of (Beijing)

Country Officer (American Institute of Taiwan-Taipei, China, Hong Kong) Robert Palladino

(202) 647-7059

Internal Affairs/Human Rights Officer Michael Hale

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 4318, Washington, DC 20520

Career: Internal Affairs/Human Rights, Office for Chinese and Mongolian Affairs, Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, United States Department of State

(202) 647-6774

Office of Regional Affairs

East Asian and Pacific Affairs Mark Bysfield

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 7418, Washington, DC 20520

Career: Consular Officer, Shenyang Consulate General, Office of the U.S. Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, U.S. Embassies and Foreign Service Posts

(202) 647-8729

Assistant Secretary for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Bureau

Christopher R. Hill

Presidential Appointment Requiring Senate Confirmation

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 6205, Washington, DC 20520

Education: Bowdoin 1974 BA; Naval War 1994 MA

Career: Volunteer, United States Peace Corps; Senior Country Officer for Poland, Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs, U.S. Department of State; Director, Office of South Central European Affairs, U.S. Department of State; U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Macedonia and Special Envoy for Kosovo, United States Embassy in Macedonia, United States Department of State, William J. Clinton Administration; Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Southeast European Affairs, National Security Council, Executive Office of the President; U.S. Ambassador to Poland, United States Embassy in Poland, United States Department of State (2000-2004); U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Korea, Embassy of the United States, George W. Bush Administration (2004-2005)

(202) 647-9596

Special Assistant Marc D. Koehler

Career: Internal Affairs/Human Rights Officer, China, People’s Republic of (Beijing), United States Department of State

(202) 647-4161

Staff Assistant Nolan Barkhouse

(202) 647-6921

Staff Assistant Shaana Tolson Day

E-mail: dayst@state.gov

(202) 647-6916

Staff Assistant Thomas Hines

(202) 647-6921

Office of the Executive Director

China, Hong Kong, Mongolia Post Management Officer Roberto Brady

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 4313A, Washington, DC 20520

(202) 647-6222

State Department Chief of Staff Brian F. Gunderson

Non-Career Senior Executive Service (SES) Appointment

E-mail: gundersonb@state.gov

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 7234A, Washington, DC 20520

Education: Marquette 1985 BA

Career: Chief of Staff, Office of the United States Trade Representative, Executive Office of the President, George W. Bush Administration

(202) 647-5548

Deputy Chief of Staff Ruth ElliottSchedule C Appointment

E-mail: elliottre@state.gov

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 7226, Washington, DC 20520

Education: Stanford 1988 BA

Career: Special Assistant for Scheduling and Advance, Executive Secretary, National Security Council, Executive Office of the President

(202) 647-5106

Extra (9).

For those of you who want to pursue a human rights argument:

Assistant Secretary for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Bureau (Acting)

Michael G. Kozak

Harry S. Truman Building, 2201 C Street, NW, Room 7802, Washington, DC 20520

(202) 647-2570

WOW!!!! tremendous work!!! and I know that isn't spelled correctly also.

The rest of you LISTEN UP.. this person is very lucide and is more than on the right track.. he's a freakin high speed locomotive.

Your anayliss of the system is spot on as I have heard this from two government sources just these last few days.

I would hope that people can see and understand the benefit verses risk reward in becoming active. With our numbers and that kind of determined consistant attack.. they will fall.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the letter you sent. I will tweak it a little and send it out. I will also add possible "intentional discriminatory intention" by the State Department because US Embassy in China (with one designated Consulate in Guangzhou) is definitely one of the slowest in the world to process visas for Chinese spouse and fiances. It is also against family values considerations, and I have to spend time and money making two to three weeks trips to China to visit my wife periodically (every 3 to 4 months). That's also money that would be better spent in the US rather than abroad. I will also ask my brother, cousins, and other relatives to send one out.

Fred

Many of you have your particular grievances, but we all share the problem of long wait times.  There is really no justification for seperating fiancees or spouses for a year while a file sits in a cabinet untouched for most of that time.  The inhumanity of that has to resonate with someone in power, someone for whom it really isn't a big deal to say "Hey, Guangzhou, why so damn slow?"

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/repsstud...ies/BEPQ4v7.pdf

What problems? According to this report to congress last month, they're are doing a great job. Just ask them.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/uscisove...erview31105.pdf

Page 6 and 7 go over the basics like mission statement, core values and vision. Interesting reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me add a little fuel to the fire.

My wife's interview was March 11. She was told, "you papers appear to be in order." but was given the "blue slip" with a "yellow slip" attached. the Blue slip, said, see attached. The yellow slip, had #8 checked. "We need more time to process your application. We will contact you as to when to return to the consulate."

No reason. Just, we need more time. The "American Citizen Hour" question period, was worse. They told me, "if she has not been contacted in 6 months, send us an email." 6 Months? What is this? They had her paperwork for 3 months already.

I contacted my senators. The first, received an email from the "Chief" of the Consular Section, referencing an IR-1 visa, and that they are prohibited from "issuing a visa to applicants who have not established their eligibility to receive a visa."

Well ours is CR-1. She is eligible. I have sent many emails to the consulate about this. Their response is, "Please be advised that the case is still under the necessary internal

processing."

My question. If they cannot state why you will not issue the visa, how can you deny the visa? How can, "we need more time", without a reason, be a cause for denial?

By the way, that day, while standing in line for the "American Citizen Hour", I did not see one visa leave the consulate. I only saw denials. I was in the line from 1:45 until 2:30 when they let us into the consulate. One man from San Diego, had his wife denied for proof of a valid relationship. This after being married for 2.5 years. They asked his wife, you have no children, why? He works in a restaurant, doesn't make much money, so his time with his wife is very limited. But he was THERE. After 2.5 years, if this is not proof, I do not know what they are looking for.

I have been back in the US for 2 months. My wife is a little discouraged by the process. But we continue to stand by each other.

I also did a little checking. Seems the week we were there, a lot of petitions were approved on even numbered days. There were many denials on odd numbered days. Is this consulate playing games? I sent an email to Maura Harty. She responded, "I will ask a member of my team to look into this immediately. MH ". I have not heard another word from her.

My nitemare continues. I am standing tall. I am not giving up. I send an email to the consulate, every 2 weeks. I do not want them to think that we have given up. I will not give up. Something is wrong here. Not just with our case, but many cases. Something needs to be done. Who will listen? I am listening. I think an investigation needs to be launched. I can compile, any valid, problems of this type. Lets get something rolling. We are American citizens.

I have vented. But I still search for the answer. I am sure I am not the only one.

I have also just had an exchange with Maura Harty's office. All they tell me is what is in their computers, ie, "going through internal processing." I thought the internal processing is done when they invite your wife or fiance to GZ for the interview?

"Well ours is CR-1. She is eligible. I have sent many emails to the consulate about this. Their response is, 'Please be advised that the case is still under the necessary internal processing.' " MikeXiao

Sounds like someone got constipated. Perhaps you should send those over worked well meaning souls protecting our country from visa fraud some suppositories to get things moving.

All I ask, is this, Just give me a reason. It was sad to watch 3 others go through without a problem. Friends. Then we get sidelined. If they do not give the visa, they should have to state why. There is some reason that they decide at the interview, that the case needs more processing, then tell us.

I have contacted 2 senators. I have contact Maura Harty's office twice. I am ready to contact the Secretary of State. Just give us a valid reason. Is that too much to ask?

I have contemplated contacting others about this. Like the TVs and such. But I fear. We are dealing with someone who has "God like" powers. If you push too hard on them, they can find any reason for denial. No one questions their decisions. And when you look for answers, the ones you contact, only look as far as what is on their computer screen. When you see approval after approval on one day, then many denials the next, it makes you wonder. But who checks them? Who questions them? I talk to my wife 2 or 3 times a day. I can tell that she is doubtful, of a fair process. We are now 60 days past the interview date. That is a long time. What happens when they decide they are ready again, if they are ever ready? Another interview? Isn't that like double jeopardy? We do not treat criminals that badly. There are laws against that. Is the consulate in GZ taking things to the extreme, maybe. Should they have to answer for their actions, DEFINATLY YES.

Guest aosnow

no, it is not double jeopardy. that only applies in criminal cases after once acquitted.

back when I was waiting for approval from CSC, I tried to interest local tv stations in the story of visas for chinese fiancees and wives. Even though this city is 30% chinese, there was no response.