Another food question..

just shock he arguing with her on how to cook?

trigg rule #1 wife is always right

Trigg rule # 2  wife own mop, read rule #1

trigg rule #3  let wife win, bed be much warmer, read rule #1

robert

you think they learn by now :rolleyes:

Yup, thems the rules!!!!!!! <_<

A little too much salt? My wife never heard of too much salt. :( I have never used salt in any of my cooking, and it's been a real battle trying to get Jingwen to cut back on the amount of salt she uses. Fortunately, I have very low blood pressure. Jingwen also uses sugar in her cooking, but I don't know if it's too counteract the salt.

One day at the store she picked up a bag a white crystals with Chinese writing on the bag (I can't read Chinese). I thought it was salt, but upon closer inspection I found out it was a one pound bag of MSG. It took me a while to explain to Jingwen why she should not use MSG in her cooking.

Yes, Trigg, I had to put my foot down - right on that step leading to the dog house.

I hear ya Frank. I'm trying to swap MSG for sugar. She no longer allows sugar in any form and my stepdaughter ratted me out when I told her that Butter Pecan ice cream is sugar free. She actually hid the sugar bag from me.

My newest mission is to get her to cook without the shower cap pulled half way over her eyes (keeps smoke out of her hair me thinks)

A little too much salt?  My wife never heard of too much salt. :P I have never used salt in any of my cooking, and it's been a real battle trying to get Jingwen to cut back on the amount of salt she uses.  Fortunately, I have very low blood pressure.  Jingwen also uses sugar in her cooking, but I don't know if it's too counteract the salt.

One day at the store she picked up a bag a white crystals with Chinese writing on the bag (I can't read Chinese).  I thought it was salt, but upon closer inspection I found out it was a one pound bag of MSG.  It took me a while to explain to Jingwen why she should not use MSG in her cooking.

Yes, Trigg, I had to put my foot down - right on that step leading to the dog house.

Right on Frank, put on your heaviest boots and then stomp down your foot against MSG. That stuff is really not good for you. I finally got Ping to come around to my way of thinking, almost, on the MSG issue. Now she will use only a pinch, and I am still fighting against that. I am not afraid of the dog house, over time I've got it fixed up pretty good in there, ashtrays all around, a nice little fridge full of beer, bags of peanuts, a small TV, what the heck. You got to stand up for what is healthy. It's weird the way they cook in a healthy way in some respects, for example with the flash cooking of vegetables which preserves the vitamins, then they put a factory made bit of poison in there like MSG.

Seems like salt is much more dangerous than MSG. It always amazes me how many people will accept anecdotal evidence as fact.  Some articles to read

MSG

FDA MSG

My wife asked me about MSG I told her "No Way" then I read a few articles about it that said like everything us Americans do we changed our minds yet again about what is bad/good for us, so I removed my foot and MSG is now a regular part of our diet.

MSG affects some people but even those dont seem to react if it is added at low temp after cooking. That is why the main problem comes from soup boiled with the ingredient. Actually it is less risk than salt or tripolyphosphate that is added to commercial chicken and some other processed foods. Even those are not much problem unless you are at risk for congestive heart failure or trying to loose weight.

The whole issue can be prevented by using mushroom powder or extract in cooking as a replacement for other flavor enhancers. It is often available at asian markets or health food stores.

tripolyphasphate is a risk because it is used to bind water to meat to increase moisture to counter dryness and reduce cost by adding water. It does the same thing in the body but it has never been studied for risk other than to establish safety limits which only work if you don't eat such products often. If ypu eat out a lot you probably go over safe limits. This the government regards as your fault not theirs. Similar to using sodium nitrate/nitrite, it may be as big a cause of cancer as cigarettes but the government decided 70 years ago that is better than food poisoning from not having it in popular american foods like hot dogs bacon and ham. One was prohibited about 15 years ago because of health group lobbying but the body converts the other during digestion. All a game business first, health second.