try checking out

1-6-8 Shanghai

4215 Spring Mountain Road

Las Vegas, NV 89102-8742

Phone: (702) 365-9168

It was written up as being authentic. There was a warning about an unfamiliar menu and taking the waiters advise that you wont like some dishes as being real Chinese.

Give them a call and let us know what you find out.

I am very interested in this idea also. :P A resurant in Vegas that serves my Jennifer's favorite dish? :blink: That would be the perfect place when we are there also. B) I want details! Also if anyone knows, I found was relativly successful with my first attempts at this myself. Any ideas on spicing and various items for the pot? :)

Jim it all depends what regional style she likes. The taste varies widely. There is a famous restaurant in Shenyang that does a mutton, vegetable and mushroom hot pot that is not spicy. Recently the Sichuan style which is called Ma La Tong (dumbing hot soup) has also become popular in Liaoning Sheng. They are all easy to make as long as you know the seasonings. They all are cooked at the table and you must be able to bring the pot to a slow boil for quick cooking. The internet has many styles given as Mongolian Hot Pot, Fire Pot, Shabu Shabu and others. Add to the search the Province name and you will find different styles for each. Mountain areas use mutton, plains beef and coastal seafood. Enjoy experimenting!

Dan,

What I have been most interested is various spicy broths. The resuraunt we ate at in Kunshan had woks split in the middle and had the pepper on one side and seafood on the other. The owner looked like Jack Soo from Barney Miller and was originally from LA. He and I hitting it off really scored some points with Jen. B) They also served many processed items I am hoping to discover. The best was the live shrimp he brought out in celebration of or engagement. :P Thanks for the ideas, I will continue my research later. I also recently found a place in the southern Bay Area called Hot Pot City. :o Haven't been in yet but I will give it a look the first chance I get.