Group Letter- Second Draft

I'm all for it. As far as I am concerned, We have been cut, stabed & steped on way to long and it is about time those of us to stand up, yell, & demand better treatment.

In my oppinion, I do not see why we can not do what most other orginizations do when they feel they have been done wrong. PROTEST!! Go Before the Media, have a rally outside the White House, Send Signed letters of petitions to each & every Senator and Govonor of each state & tell them that if they can not get this thing fixed, then hate their luck, they just lost X amount of votes for re-election.

I have to agree that the US Embassy or Consulet is US Soil, and if you are working on our soil, you better be adhearing to our way of life and preforming to our expectations, just as if you were here on the main land. If you don't, won't or can't, then it is time for your ass to be removed & a replacement be presented.

So definately, send me the letter, We will sign it, with Honor & Pride. & If they still refuse and should we get the Blue slip, guess what? Screw you Uncle Sam. I'll take everything I have, I own, and all of my accounts to another country that will accept me with the graciousness and pride as any country could. And I will then stand behind her and Fight for those who believe in keeping families together, not tear them apart.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to put solutions on the letter, but it got way too long and the solutions I had were not well thought out enough. We could put a line at the beginning or the conclusion that "we are willing to offer some solutions, in a follow up letter" or something...ideas?

I think this is important so don't worry about hurting my feelings if you have any suggestions. I am sure Hank feels the same. The letter is a rewrite of his letter.

I also am not totally pleased with the description of the problems in the numbered items on the letter.

We also need to put a correct heading that has Maura's title, and address on it.

Finally, how do we all sign it?

Two possible ways to sign it are 1) Have one person keep the letter and everyone who wants to sign it send a 'signature page' to that person. Possibley with a sentence explaining where they are in the process 2) Have everyone who wants to sign it email the holder giving their full name, credentials etc. . Include these typed at the signature page with a memo 'all signatures are on file with xxxxx'

The signature page for each person sounds like a nice touch. Then the letter will have an original signature from everyone. People could even write a comment or two on their page.

I do want to add a piece of what I hope will be seen as constructive criticism. Two times the letter essentially accuses the consulate of acting in an unethical manner. I think that those two references should be reconsidered.

For example, the letter says that a person received a white slip following the interview and then was rejected when they went to pick up the visa. Now, if I were a visa officer and had issued a white slip, and then was reviewing the paperwork afterwards and saw that I missed something that is cause for a rejection, it would be unethical to continue with visa issuance. Wouldn't it?

Put yourself in the shoes of the visa officer for a moment and think about that.

Perhaps the letter could say that we are requesting more thorough reviews, and possibly even peer-reviews (by other VOs or even supervisors), to ensure that the correct decision is made at the time of the interview. Some way of preventing this unpleasant surprise should be sought.

Please don't accuse the visa officer of being unethical until we know the facts of the particular situation. Accusing them of being unethical is a pretty serious charge and I won't agree to it unless I know the facts. Maybe some other language can be used that is a bit more diplomatic...

A few pages up someone discussed including or removing references to CFL. I suggest that we make CFL an issue. I suggest that we have a short paragraph of two or three sentences stating what CFL is, who the people are, and what the group is about. Does anyone honestly think that they will be denied because they come to CFL or signed the letter?

Perhaps I have a lot to learn, but that's my opinion. Cheers : )

You make a good point about the unethical issue. The word that best desribes it is unprofessional. In that they did not properley review the data prior to their original decision. Once they are sure enough to make the decision, why do they even re-open the file??

I work a ton of hours, drive in traffic to and from my house, and have just moved into a new house...in short--I have much less mental energy to devote to the letter than I feel comfortable spending.

If this were a case I was handling, I would spend at least one full 10 hr day researching the issues to provide as much specific fact and data as possible. The letter still sounds too "literature" and not enough "business". I just don't have the time or energy at the moment to fight a more than likely winless battle. I have spent time and will continue to do so, and would love for us to pull together and finish this within the next few days. I know there are others that feel the same.

It would be great if someone were to rewrite the numbered items. I don't mean one person take them all, but people just take one and make it a perfect paragraph outlining the problem--and maybe a concise solution if it is readily accessible. Maybe people who have experienced the problem we are referring to should write that particular item.

Any thoughts?

Secretary Maura Harty:

We are members of “A Candle For Love” (CFL), a steadily growing online community of almost two-thousand (??) law abiding, taxpaying U.S. Citizens. We are joined by the common bond of a lengthy and unpredictable wait to receive immigrant visas for our ..................

I like this letter. I will sign it.

My question is that should we send this letter to Harty? Maybe we should finalize the letter and make a template out of it. Then each CFL member can print it out and send a copy to his/her congressman and senators. You can find out your representative info here:

http://www3.capwiz.com/y/dbq/officials/

Second, I feel that a letter will not amount to much. Maybe we can start a Paypal account and have people contribute money to it. We can use the money to get lobbyists in Washington to lobby for us. Do we have lawyers here? Who's willing to do some pro bono work?

Maybe CFL itself can become a lobbying organization; a catalyst to affect change rather than just a platform to share information (and to vent stress B) ).

Thoughts....?????

Second, I feel that a letter will not amount to much. Maybe we can start a Paypal account and have people contribute money to it. We can use the money to get lobbyists in Washington to lobby for us. Do we have lawyers here? Who's willing to do some pro bono work?

this is an excellent suggestion. i for one will donate money to such a fund.

not only to lobby to change things, but also to help those who get screwed by the system.

King, would you like some money to help those that are helpless there? you seem to be a honest person working locally on these issues?

this week-end i should have some time, i will try to review the letter as it exists so far. (where in for another snow storm in the north east! :D )

my suggestion, once it is finished, is for each person to print a copy and sign it and mail it themselves.

i think this would make the greatest impact.

i letter can be ignored, maybe 2 or 3

but if Maurty gets 10-20-50 letters, then it will be harder for her to ignore each of them.

and if you include that you have CCed your senators, representatives, then i think it will make a greater impact.

and i think this can't be just a one time thing.

anyone can turn a deaf ear or blind eye for one letter. but if the letters continue to come in each week, asking for answers, requesting proper or fair treatment, then i think we will eventually get somewhere.

Hey Guys,

After reading about MikeXiao's case, I feel that we need to get our letter out now! As far as which version to send out, I am all for sending a signed copy of every version. Read MikeXiao's case and see why I'm so pissed.

Click here to read about MikeXiao's Case

So we need to send our information (names, phone numbers, and GUZ Case numbers) to one member, who will mail the letters.

Does anyone want to volunteer to handle and mail the letters?

If we sit on our hands, nothing will get done. We need to help shine the light for our CFL brothers and sisters in this dreaded black hole.

i think everyone who is willing, should print and mail their own letter.

at a minimum, to the following people:

- Secretary Harty

- Your 2 senators in your local state

- your local representative

- the President of the US

it would have a bigger impact if the letters came from around the country, just just from one person or state.

also reference in the letter, that you have sent a copy to those other people.

someone may think it is just the drinking water that has caused someone to be sour.

I would also recommend sending a copy to each of the consulates in China (since the problem is within their systems and control, and ability to resolve).

i have tired to revise the letter to fit it into one page. here it is just over 1 page if you include the PS section below. If you do not include this, you can probably fit it in 1 page.

if all those who have agreed with the issues were to print it out, and send a copy to their Maura, as well as their senators, representatives,the President, and the other consulates in China, i think we would be heard.

if you don't agree with an issue, or if you want to add one of your own, then by all means. and if you can include your own personal case or story that would be even more effective.

==================

Secretary Maura Harty:

I am writing to you as a member of “A Candle For Love” (CFL), a growing online community of nearly 2,000 law abiding, taxpaying U.S. Citizens. We are joined by the common bond of a lengthy and unpredictable wait to receive immigrant visas for our wives, fiancés and children. The purpose of this letter is to address a few of the current immigrant visa processing issues at the American Consulate in Guangzhou. These issues have caused unnecessary hardships for us and our families. We ask that you take a moment to read our honest and concise assessment of the current situation and that you consider possible solutions.

1) Wait Times for K1 & K3 Visas:

The wait time for the K-1 Fiancé Visa and K3 Visa is among the longest in the world. Our members wait an average of 13-months without a good reason or understanding why it takes so long. We ask that you please investigate and help us to understand this situation, especially in light of the fact that other countries, such as England and Canada, are able to process visas of this type in much shorter time, typically 30-45 days.

China has the world’s largest population. Is it time that a country of this size and importance has more than one consulate to handle immigrate visas? Canada has two such locations.

You recently spoke in Beijing about the improvements in handling Student and business visas from China, with over 180,000 student visas per year typically processed and issued in a matter of days or weeks. Please consider the petitions of US citizens for their loved ones to be at least of equal priority as those from Chinese citizens.

2) Denials without appeal:

Many of our members are being denied visas for no apparent reason. They are denied and not allowed consultation with a member of the IV Unit to resolve these denials, or to know why they are being denied. Please work to correct this situation.

3) White Slips changed to Blue Slips:

There are a growing number of cases where white acceptance slips are being given to the wife or fiancé of a U.S. Citizen immediately after the interview, only to receive a blue slip the following day, and the visa denied — without explanation or consultation. Please do what you can to ensure that the initial decision remains until the visa is given. Again these cases directly affect the lives and future of US Citizens and their loved ones.

These items are simply a few occurrences we wish to bring to your attention at this time.

The US consulate in China is US soil. Please help to ensure that everyone who enters is treated with the basic human rights of dignity, respect, and non-discrimination that is fundamental to our way of life. We are not asking for any special treatment, just the same consideration, care and service that anyone requesting a visa in China would and should expect.

Thank you for taking the time to hear our concerns.

Respectfully,

The Members of CFL.

PS:

I have forwarded a copy of this letter to my local Senators and Representative to help resolve these issues. A copy is also being forwarded to each of the consulates in China, to make them aware of the issues and hopefully they can work together to improve the service we receive.

Again I would like to congratulate you on the improvements you have been able to accomplish in allowing Chinese students and business people to obtain their visas, now I hope we can expect the same for US citizens waiting to be reunited with their loved ones.

Pingme,

Your letter is excellent. I just have two very small suggestion and a question.

Suggestion:

"Please consider the petitions of US citizens for their loved ones to be at least of equal priority as those from Chinese citizens."

This is a little confusing, because it sounds like you are saying that Chinese citizens are also issuing petitions for their loved ones. Restate this as:

"Please consider the petitions of US citizens for their loved ones to be at least of equal priority as student and business petitions from Chinese Citizens."

And for number 2 on the list, there is an appeal process already avaliable. However, this process is not transparent and does not let us actually speak with a knowledgable representative. In addition, I think that we should use the word "transparent", because it was a word that Mrs. Harty repeated herself many times at the Beijing conference.

Finally, are you sure that all your facts and figures are correct? If they are, we have a very strong case. If not, it will hurt the credibility of our letter.

I revised your letter (a little). See my version below, and let me know what you think. If it's good and all the facts and figures are correct, let's run with this version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Secretary Harty:

I am writing to you as a member of “A Candle For Love” (CFL), a growing online community of nearly 2,000 law abiding, taxpaying U.S. Citizens. We are joined by the common bond of a lengthy and unpredictable wait to receive immigrant visas for our wives, fiancés and children. The purpose of this letter is to address a few of the current immigrant visa processing issues at the American Consulate in Guangzhou. These issues have caused unnecessary and terrible hardships for many of us and our families. We ask that you please take a moment to read our honest assessment of the current situation and that you consider possible solutions.

1) Wait Times for K1 & K3 Visas:

The wait time for the K-1 Fiancé Visa and K3 Visa is among the longest in the world. Our members wait an average of 13-months without a good reason or understanding why it takes so long. We ask that you please investigate and help us to understand this situation, especially in light of the fact that other countries, such as England and Canada, are able to process visas of this type in much shorter time, typically 30-45 days.

China has the world’s largest population. Is it time that a country of this size and importance has more than one consulate to handle immigrate visas? Canada has two such locations.

You recently spoke in Beijing about the improvements in handling Student and business visas from China, with over 180,000 student visas per year typically processed and issued in a matter of days or weeks. Please consider the petitions of US citizens for their loved ones to be at least of equal priority as student and business petitions from Chinese Citizens.

2) The Lack Of Transparency in The Appeal Process

Many of our members are being denied visas for no apparent reason. They are denied and not allowed consultation with a member of the IV Unit to resolve these denials, or to know why they are being denied. Please work to correct this situation.

3) White Slips that are changed to Blue Slips:

There are a growing number of cases where white acceptance slips are being given to the wife or fiancé of a U.S. Citizen immediately after the interview, only to receive a blue slip the following day, and the visa denied — without explanation or consultation. Please do what you can to ensure that the initial decision remains until the visa is given. Again these cases directly affect the lives and future of US Citizens and their loved ones.

These items are simply a few occurrences we wish to bring to your attention at this time.

The US consulate in China is US soil. Please help to ensure that everyone who enters is treated with the basic human rights of dignity, respect, and non-discrimination that is fundamental to our way of life. We are not asking for any special treatment, just the same consideration, care and service that anyone requesting a visa in China would and should expect.

Thank you for taking the time to hear our concerns.

Respectfully,

The Members of CFL.

PS:

I have forwarded a copy of this letter to my local Senators and Representative to help resolve these issues. A copy is also being forwarded to each of the consulates in China, to make them aware of the issues and hopefully they can work together to improve the service we receive.

Again I would like to thank you for the improvements you have been able to accomplish in allowing Chinese students and business people to obtain their visas, now I hope we can expect the same for US citizens waiting to be reunited with their loved ones. Thanks.

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to what we should do. I suggest that all of us who are interested in this letter need to have some sort of a conference. I would suggest the CFL's chat room. I know like me there are many who spend lots of time here or make regular visits. What we need to do is get one of our administrators here announce a date and time for such a conference far enough in advance that those of us who are serious can attend. Now I realize that there may be some who may not be able to be there due to work or other commitments, so those that do can make their wishes and opinions known to those who can attend and authorize them to act as a proxy and give them the majority decision.

I think that this is the best way to allow a debate and to arrive at a concensus.

ANY THOUGHTS?????????