Group Letter- Second Draft

Succinct is not necessarily short. I think the length will depend on the number of signatures. If only one person signs a long letter it will likely not be time efficient for her to read it. If a hundred sign it--she WILL read it. To the point but comprehensive with the most pressing issues first.

Like the man said-tell them what you have to say-then tell them what you said. Hank, your wordsmithing is seeped in a literature model--perhaps if one of our technical writers does a rewrite of what you have written and then you add the flowers to punch it up. Best of both worlds. Although I'm way past the GZ thing, I'll be happy to add whatever credentials I have to the letter-i.e. signature etc....

Trigg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats wrong with something like this?

The issues we are concerned about are as follows.

1: Often a beneficiary is given an approval white slip and told to come back the next day to pick up the visa only to be given a denial blue slip

2: Unreasonable waiting time. Guangzhou is one of if not the slowest consulate in the world when it comes to processing family based visas.

3: etc

I am at work, and very busy, but will take a few seconds to reply.

The format of numbered items we view as problems and numbered items we suggest as solutions is the best way to be "concise, yet cogent".

This does not mean a "short letter".

One idea to consider is an executive summary consisting of a few paragraphs highlighting main points (the above mentioned numbered format) attached to a detailed letter of explanation complete with specific examples.

Excellent collaboration on this so far. I am happy to be a part of this.

Rob

If you discovered an interesting magazine article, would you throw it away because it was more than two pages?

My letter was written to be interesting and something that would keep her interest.

If we want to get Maura Harty to act on our behalf, we need to make a very compelling case. This cannot be accomplished with a short business-like letter. Martin Luther King's speeches were not short, but they sure were compelling and stirred people to action.

Like I said before, if she does not have the time to read our letter, she certainly won't have the time to waddle through the red tape to help us. I feel that our best bet is to help her understand how we feel and what we are going through. We can't accomplish this by trimming down.

In addition, I'm definitely game for adding something positive to the end of the letter.

But if you are in, it's time to raise your hand and be counted. We need enough support to get lift-off with this letter.

I'd kinda like to wait for some more input and a few more revisions before you fire it off.  It's good but anything can get better.  When your done, I'll spell check it for you.

LOL Trigg I love it!

I would use a bullet style for your points and an offer in the letter to provide more detailed information. This lady is probably over tasked and needs to be able to read the main points quiclky. She can then ask for more info or she will task someone to look into these problem areas. Just my opinion but have done these type of letters and presentations before for gov types.

Mark

My 2 yuan:

Compliment them for the number of people we know about that have gone through the process with no problem.

Point out that some of the problem cases are given little or no explanation causing great anguish between loved ones

Maybe most important is to play the numbers game with them - ask why a country with 1/10 the population of China has several consulates that can issue visas. Ask why the process takes a few months from one country and a year plus from China. Ask why a country much closer to possible terrorist countries like Pakistan can get a visa in a few months. Lastly ask them why we are put through a year of scrutiny when there are still hundreds of illegal aliens walking across the border from Mexico every single day.

(OK maybe leave out that last one), but it pisses me off that anyone from any country can go to Mexico with no questions asked and then take a well prepared hike through the dessert into the US

We should add some other gripes. Specifically about the NVC process. Why is it that we have to wait for a bill for the 864, then pay the bill, then wait for the form, then wait for the IV bill, then wait for the 230, then wait again in GUZ? Why can't they do it all on line, pay the bills with a credit card, fill it out all at one time. Sheez we could shave off 2 to 3 months! The process is broken and please fix it.

I am just venting!

Okay, here is my stab at the letter. I don't know if it is any better, or any more concise. There are some "xx" and "??" that I don't know that need to be filled in, and the conclusion is kind of redundent. In addition, the spacing is great on the word doc I created this in, but gets lost in translation to this posting format. At least my evening passed quickly.

Without further ado:

Secretary Maura Harty:

We are members of “A Candle For Love” (CFL), a steadily growing online community of almost two-thousand (??) law abiding, taxpaying U.S. Citizens. We are joined by the common bond of a lengthy and unpredictable wait to receive immigrant visas for our wives, fiancés and children. The purpose of this letter is to address current immigrant visa processing problems at the American Consulate in Guangzhou. These issues have caused unnecessary hardships for us and our families. We ask that you take a moment to read our honest and concise assessment of the current situation and that you consider possible solutions.

Following, you will find a list of some of the reoccurring problems that our members have encountered:

1) Our wait time for the K-1 Fiancé Visa and I-130 (??) Visa is among the longest in the world. Our members average a 13-month (??) wait. We are told that this is because the only consulate able to process visas in China is Guangzhou. We ask that you examine the wait times for countries such as Mexico and Columbia to note the discrepancy in timelines. We are asking for consistency and equality.

a. China has the world’s largest population. Why is there only one consulate to handle the large caseload? Why does a country such as Mexico—with 1/10 the population—have XX consulates to process family visas? We are asking for consistency and equality.

b. Why is the staff at Guangzhou able to provide business and student visas within a few months but takes more than one year for our family and fiancé visas? We do not doubt that the Immigrant Visa (IV) staff is very capable. Please examine your policy in this matter to provide more consistency and equality.

2) We can provide specific examples of the wives and fiancés of U.S. Citizen’s--our members--being denied visa’s for no apparent reason. Denied and allowed no consultation with a member of the IV Unit to resolve these denials, or to know why they are being denied.

3) We can provide specific examples of a white acceptance slip being given to the wife or fiancé of a U.S. Citizen immediately after the interview, only to have the visa denied the following day—with no reasonable explanation, and no consultation provided as to why this is taking place.

4) We can provide specific examples of U.S. Citizens waiting for extended months on end—with no consistency or predictalbe timeframe whatsoever—for the second name check process.

These items are simply a few occurrences we wish to bring to your attention that cause the wait time to go from the rest of the world’s average 9-month timeframe to the 13-16 months that we endure.

We understand that there are many bureaucratic issues that we may not be aware of. We feel that there are many of our colleagues working at the Guangzhou Consulate who are doing an excellent job in providing our constitutionally given rights. What we do not understand is why there is such a discrepancy in the way the visa process is handled for our members as such an extensive deviation from the rights we are promised as law-abiding taxpaying U.S. Citizen’s.

In conclusion, we are requesting more equality through consistent and expedient service in the family visa process. This is an urgent request, from law-abiding U.S. Taxpayers who are inexcusably suffering due to an unnecessarily lengthy separation with predictable timeframe from our loved ones. We beg of you to examine these issues and we stress that consular officers treat our fiancés, spouses, and family immigrant visa cases with the respect and attention that we deserve as law-abiding, taxpaying U.S. Citizens. Thank you for taking the time to hear our concerns.

Respectfully,

The Members of CFL.

The last two paragraphs are dead on balls right on. I wonder, we are writing as a group and complaining as a group, would she consider a meeting with a group spokesman who could articulate the groups needs and therefore help her to better understand these needs. There is only so much that can be put in a readable letter but a face to face with a liaison from CFL may not only serve the immediate needs of the group but also assist her in the monumental task she has. How about this as an ongoing 'program evaluation' process so that she can consistantly improve her department? What greater role could CFL play in the Visa process??

Think about it.

Trigg

Personally, I would recommend a much stronger and specific letter than this one aimed at the clear discriminatory policies that reflect this wait time. We know almost everyone reports their case is waiting scheduling for interview within a month of returning their P3 (on average). This means that one can only blame the Consulate for the wait time after that. Only the Consulate is responsible for deciding that wait time.

1) Our wait time for the K-1 Fiancé Visa and I-130 K3/CR1 Visa is the longest in the world. Our members average a 6 month wait from returning their Packet 3 until their interview. We are told that this is because the only consulate able to process visas in China is Guangzhou. We ask that you examine the wait times for countries such as India and the Philippines to note the discrepancy in time lines. We are asking for consistency and equality.

a. China and India have the world's largest population. Why is there only one consulate in China to handle the large caseload whereas India has three consulates to process family visas? The Philippines has one consulate to process family visas, handles twice the case load for family visas as Guangzhou in less than half the time? We are asking for consistency and equality.

I think if you are going to complain, that it would also be a good idea to provide suggestions as to what you would like to see her do to fix the problem.

With no suggestion for improvement, your just complaining. The letter will likely sit on her desk for maybe 10 minutes. Make reference to interview questions. That's just a suggestion.

Why is China the slowest? No people? No Facilities? No Resources. . . yada yada yada? fix this problem is it nessecary to place such a heavy task on one post? It's not exactly convient for every single person to make it to GZ either. Some of her replies sounded pretty vanilla (bueruacratic) to me. She knows who's writing the checks, and it ain't us. I'de like to see her in a Barbra Walters interview.

Let me know when you fire it off. I'll try my best to stop with my USCIS, NVC and .gov jokes . .. and "over tasked?" over tasked doing what? Tasks usually end with a result.

and Trigg please try to calm down. Put the spell checker on the ground and walk away real slowily with your hands behind your head. Your like a loose cannon with that thing. I don't think I'de like you to spell check my worst enimy... dang dawg, y it got ta b lik dat`. B) :P