Interview day timeline

As Brain has posted our timeline earlier, I would like to post here my interview timeline as a supplement, and the conversations between the interviewer and me. I’m k1.

Jan. 14

7:45 Arrived at the consulate, waited outside, in the immigrants line with about 60 people in front of me

From 7:45 to 9:30, “snailed” on, was asked twice to show them visa and p4 appointment letter.

9:30 Security check.

9:45 Handed in p4 forms, visa fee receipt, medical results and signed on the forms

10:00 Swore and the interviews began soon after

10:45 Was asked to go to Window 10. The interviewer was the black woman who had a serious look on her face. I was a little bit nervous because I had read at 001 and candle and known that she seemed to have more questions to ask. The following is the conversations

Her: Do you speak English?

Me: Yes.

Her: He’s your son? (having a glimpse at my son)

Me: Yes.

Her: Who applied for you?

Me: ******

Her: How did you meet him?

Her: When?

Me: (I thought she had asked where) ******

Her: ? (Looked at me with a question on her face, my son pulled my clothes, I realized the mistake, and told her when we met. But I made another mistake, I told her the wrong yearJ

Her: When did you first meet him (in person)?

Her: How long did he stay?

Me: A week.

Her: Only a week?

Me: He came again in ****** and stayed for ******weeks.

Her: Do you have any evidence…(I didn’t hear what she said after “evidence”, because my son was pulling my clothes again)

Me: Yes. (I handed the album to her, after she finished the album, I gave her the netmeeting shots and the email lists. She smiled when she saw the netmeeting shots)

Her: How old is his son?

Then she read a few lines of one of the few emails I printed.

Then she began to sign on those forms.

Then she seemed looking for something among the forms. I was a little worried. She looked more serious than before. She said to the girl who was standing next to her(her assistant, interpreter) “I didn’t see her unmarried certificate”. I was really worried that she would ask me to get an unmarried notarization. The assistant found out the “CERTIFICATION OF LEGAL CAPACITY AND INTENT TO MARRY” and showed her. She asked “It’s optional?” The assistant told her “yes”

Then her assistant gave me the white slip and told me to come back next afternoon.

Then I said “thank you” and “good-bye”

Then I called Brian and told him the GREAT news.

Jan. 15

3:00 People who came to pick up immigrant visas began to queue up

4:00 Got into the yard, stood outside where we had had security check yesterday. Don’t need to go inside the consulate.

4:20 Call names with a speaker. When my son and I were called to go to No 2, it took LESS THAN ONE MINUTE for her to give it to me

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!:redblob:

SuJuan:

Thanks for the detailed description of your experience. I am so glad things went well for you. Hope all goes smoothly in your preparations for your journey to America and may God bless you, Brian, and your son. Keep us posted as to your progress. :rolleyes:

just a question someone might answer. why does english seem to be a factor in these interviews?????? what if your fiance didnt speak english that well are they going to deny her a visa based upon that :rolleyes:

personally my fiance speaks good english but how about people that dont do they provide an interpreter at the interview?????????

just a question someone might answer. why does english seem to be a factor in these interviews?????? what if your fiance didnt speak english that well are they going to deny her a visa based upon that :rolleyes:

personally my fiance speaks good english but how about people that dont do they provide an interpreter at the interview?????????

My fiancee interviewed with a Chinese lady. She spoke Mandarin to her. I heard they have Chinese interpreters if the officer doesn't speak Chinese. The officer did ask my gal if she can speak English.

The officer needs to make sure the couple can communicate. If she doesn't speak English and he doesn't speak Chinese, then how can they agree on marriage or have a real relationship. My case is different since both of us speak Cantonese.

They are supposed to supply an interpreter as a knowledge of English is not by law a condition for immigration to America. However, some of the interviewers make it their own personal reason for denial. And yes they have used it as a reason for saying the relationship was not a legitimate one. The black lady has in the past demanded a video tape of the American fiance speaking Chinese for 15 minutes without pause when the Chinese fiancee said that he could speak Chinese.

My wife got lucky as I can communicate well with her through a mixture of pidgin English and pidgin Chinese, but neither of us is fluent in the other's native tongue. She said her interview was "very easy".

I had a personal experience with this recently. Yin's interview was December 23, 2002. Yin's English is not great, however we communicate fine, sometimes with a little explaining. Although she always says to me her English is not good and she can only speak a little English. When she went for the interview she got an American. He asked her if she spoke English. She said a little and she also told him she used an interpreter, which she does to translate long e-mails in to English.

Luckily I was outside the consulate, so he asked to see me. I went in and explained every thing to him and told him I had English classes arranged for her in th U.S. He asked me if I was fine with the way every thing was at this point. I said of course. He then approved it.

I think she got nervous, which I'm sure all the fiances and wife's do. I was wondering what might have happened though if I hadn't been there.

Jim

Guest wei ting long

my wife was asked whether she wanted the interview to be conducted in english or chinese. she can speak descent english but she chose chinese because they had a translater there. turns out that her english was just as good if not better than the translater's. the good thing was that the interview took less than two minutes and the interviewer did not even bother to look at any of the things she had brought in preparation.

My wife and I are the same age, have never been married before, and had lived together for nearly 2 years at the time of the interview. Also, my wife is/was an English teacher. Because of this, the VO had little room for prejudice. The interview went like this:

VO (speaking perfectly fluent Mandarin, didn't need his interpreter): Hmm, so you're both teachers.

Wife: (nods)

VO: Schoolyard romance. No problem with your application.

That was the end of the interview! She passed without even answering any questions.

We had actually prepared a big packet of evidence for all kinds of things, and no one even asked to see it.. or asked for much of anything. I guess our case looked pretty clear-cut to this officer.

--David