Are digital photos going to be a problem?

That is what most of our photos are too (there are a few real ones). All we did was have a local company print them on glossy paper, *unaltered* (we would not let them photoshop it at all). Even to the best computer techie at my university, they know that they were unaltered, save for abberations in the CCD of my camera itself.

However, at a few places we went people took normal photos of us.

I hope that this is not a problem either! :)

Here's a follow-up question: How many photos have people generally submitted?

I've put together a 16 page document which includes about 20 photos each from a different time and location. I also included scanned images of our passport visas for the trips. Is 20 enough? I can dig up more.

I'll also put them all on a CD for her to have printed in China as a backup. I remember that it's cheap there and excellent quality.

Thanks everyone for more advice.

I have had hundreds of photos printed at photo shops over the last year, and when we get our interview, we are planning on bringing a big photo album.

I hope they will allow us to bring it, I don't see why not, we have a clear bag to have them in with all our other items. We are at the six month period, so I doubt we are going to get an interview anytime soon, but who knows...we are trying to assemble as much crap as possible, little by little..

The point is that we plan on having so much damn info that if they choose to "pick at straws" then there is nothing we can do about it.

I find it hard to believe that the "quality" or lack thereof, of your pics is what they will look at. I have read some posts here and it seems as if there could be a problem with suspected alteration, but they can say that for anything. I wouldn't print them out just to be safe, but who knows...

We also have so many damn receipts backing up our claims to have spent time together, including airline tickets with both our names on the same plane, at the same time, in seats next to each other...they got to have it out for us to say we are not telling the truth...

Has anyone ever had a problem with submitting printed out digital photos as evidence?  That's all I have as I haven't used a film camer for years.

I'm curious to hear.

If I remember correctly we had six regular photos.. I do not think digital are a problem However we had photos of us together with Her family at different times.. I believe this really satifies the relationship part as you have also not only met her, but her family..my LaoPo tried to show the VO the photos he smiled and said I do not need to see them..Go figure!!

• 1 month later...

Haven't you all overlooked a very simple and cheap way to buy piece of mind about the submitted photos? Go buy a disposable camera from Walgreen's for $12. Then you have a roll of 36 film pictures to use. I did this for my frist visit to China since I only have an old digital camera so I took a few film photos just to be safe. I would however assume that digital prints would work fine as long as the consulate believes they are from a film camera. Personally I would not simply print them out on regular paper. Get them printed on photo paper at a photo shop to be safe. Personally though, even if it's overkill, I think it's worth a $12 invenstment in a cheap film camera to ensure against even a small chance of the photos being refused as good eveidence.

For number of pictures, i bet they only look at 2 or 3, perhaps to our disappointment after our ladies cart in 50 pounds worth of photos.

"For number of pictures, i bet they only look at 2 or 3, perhaps to our disappointment after our ladies cart in 50 pounds worth of photos."

You're right.....we only ended up with 3 photos for our interview in Guangzhou. Somehow when we were in Beijing and I asked my wife to bring a photo from the first time we were together, then a photo which was most recent, and finally some from inbetween.....she took my request as being 3 photos. And that's exactly what she took into the interview with her....3 photos!

It doesn't stop there either. The same held true for written correspondence. She took only 3 letters with her!

I didn't find this out until we arrived in Guangzhou and I asked to look at what she had brought for the interview. Talk about heart failure! I just couldn't believe it! But what do you do?

The VO asked for photos and when she handed them to him.....he said, "Only 3 photos?" Then he asked for letters showing correspondence and she handed them to him.....he said, "Only 3 letters?"

Good thing she had my passport in hand and could speak English. We passed and were issued a visa the following day.

Still I would suggest a dozen or two of each for an interview!

PapaBear & Peipei

Due to the problem of just having digital pictures, I just sketched a few drawings of the two of us together for the interview. I'm not much of an artist, and actually the pictures were generally of stick figures, but damnit, didn't they look happy! ;)

Of course I'm kidding. My fiancée took down a dozen pictures or so. Most of them were just ones we submitted with the original application, but I wanted to have a couple printed out that had us and both sets of our parents together. I suggested she take them to a Kodak place in Shanghai, which will do prints for about RMB 1 from digital photos (I think). She got caught up, or decided not to, and just printed them out on her color printer. She may have included a few actual photos as we did use a normal camera for a while.

She told me that the VO looked at all the pictures, but I'm not positive how many she finally brought. I'm guessing the VOs like to look at the pictures. It breaks up their day a little bit.

As long as the love is real, nobody cares what pictures were made of.

I agree!! ;)

All of our pictures were from my digital camera. I e-mailed them to a place that made regular prints out of them and mailed them back to me. We had about 10 pages of 4 pictures each.

We also had pictures of us at famous landmarks in Shanghai, Guilin and Sanya, so the VO could see that we have travelled together. maybe that helped . . . :D

I took an old camera with me for this pupose...it was supposed to imprint the date on the negative...MURPHY STRIKES AGAIN!...no date appears on the negatives no matter how many buttons we push. So we searched out a reader board with the tiime and date in red lights ( like the ones in many bank branches) and had someone click off a couple shots. We'll do the same on my next trip...and will have some in Winter and some in Summer. These will be on the top of the stack....and I do plan on bringing a stack to the interview!

I also plan on bringing the Elephant gun!

Phil & Yun

I think we had about 20 or so photos, some digital printed a the local one hour photo here in China, some film, some I printed on my printer, some from "resort" photos like the ones where they pose you next to a life preserver or something like that. Phil, I dont' have the elephant gun, but did take one of us on an elephant in Thailand. I put the pics of Nicole and my mom together, myself and Nicole's brother and sister together in the front of the stack so the VO saw them first. I think she only looked at a couple of pages. Then the old ones from several years ago when I had dark hair and about 30 pounds heavier.

A good digital photo will print out as good as a film photo, just don't try any manipulation other than color/brightness. Unless you're REALLY good it will look fake.

Bob