Going to Interview with SO

Beijing Jenny,

Yeah, sending your passport along sounds like a good idea to me...

.....Fei was asked flat out by the pushy VO in a very confrontational interview for my passport ---- the question if I was in China hadn't even been asked....

... When she produced it, it did seem to take some wind out of the VO's sails...

Robert

No she is from Harbin That is in the Province of Heilongjiang.

It is a 3 day train ride to GZ from Harbin. They are leaving the 27th of Feb. For their medical exam and interview.

I told her I would get a plane ticket and meet her in GZ.

She asked me how I pay for tickets, I told her I would just put the ticket on a C/card. She said: No, No, No,,, No C/card. I no like we owe money to people. No like C/card, Bad. No, No, My Rick, We save money. You no worry, I get visa, I no afraid.

I told her: I'd be scared shitless. <_<

Rick

Hello Rick,

I agree with Carl on this one as well. We know that GZ pre-examines all of the documents before the interview, and there can be no doubt that they have already been influenced one way or another. I would never go to the point of saying that they have already made a decision, but without a doubt after previewing the paperwork, they are leaning one way or another. It's like Carl said, you do not know what they are looking for and what they want to see when you go in. We brought mounds of emails, photos, phone bills, support documentation, etc, yet the VO didn't ask to see a thing. My fiancee at the time could not speak even one complete sentence in English, yet his only question regarding that was to ask her if I spoke Chinese. Never was there a mention of this video tape nonsense. To this day I do not know the certain answer, but I will stand behind what I have previously posted regarding this, and honestly believe that two things decided this case. 1. All of our paperwork was prepared by an Immigration Attorney (please, I do not want to delve into this subject again, I am merely stating my belief). 2. I was in GZ for the interview. So, whenever anyone asks me to recommend what to do, I will tell them to do whatever it takes to meet those two requirements. Now, would I stand here and state that this will guarantee a visa? No way, because it's impossible to delve into the minds of the VO's at GZ. Rick, my wife is also from Heilongjiang, and that's what worried me the most, because our plans were for her to leave immediately after the interview for America. I was far too worried that there would be some type of problem and a blue slip would be issued, and she would have to make that trip back to Heilongjiang and wait god knows how long for her visa (please keep in mind that at that time GZ quite often completed the interview and then sent the ladies back home to await further processing, supposedly 4-6 weeks, however often it was more like 4-6 months---some of the original Black Holers can attest to this). My wife also didn't want me to "waste" the money, but you have to understand a few things about the Chinese culture. First of all, they have a deep belief in themselves that they can overcome any obstacle set in front of them (this will really come home to you when she comes here and is ready to drive as soon as she arrives, regardless of the necessity of a written and driving test. Secondly, I think that sometimes they believe it is just a matter of money. In other words, just pay some extra money somewhere to someone, and this will enhance your chances of receiving the visa. Because this is the way most government officials work in China, they tend to believe that GZ is the same. I remember a post or two from way back where a lady was turned down and was actually blaming the petitioner for not paying "enough money." Thirdly, I believe that the typical Chinese woman does not want to be a burden on her husband. You will find out that they are very self-sufficient, and are not used to a man taking care of them, per se. So she doesn't want to cause you any undue hardship by asking you to accompany her. Now that I have laid this guilt trip on you, it is your decision to make. I understand all of the obstacles to being there (I went through much the same scenario with no vacation, etc, and ended up having to take an unpaid leave of absence), and it is a very difficult decision to make, especially if finances are tight, or your job security isn't great. But aside from the above reasons, and the fact that I agree with one of the posts which mentioned the petitioner being there helping their confidence, you will never, ever forget the feeling of seeing your SO walk out of the consulate with the visa in her hand. Forget the white slip, that didn't excite us too much. We were happy yes, but not completely comfortable until we had the visa. As I sit here and reminisce, tears still come to my eyes when I remember how excited and overjoyed we were when we were in the taxi heading to the airport (our flight actually left less than 2 hours after we picked up the visa), while examining the visa inside of the passports (my wife and her daughter's). Nothing had ever looked so beautiful. It's a feeling that I personally would be willing to go bankrupt or lose a job in order to experience, and I will never ever regret spending the extra money in order to do so. It made things a little tighter back here for the first year or so, but money is nothing compared to that moment. So, if you can somehow, someway swing it, meet her in GZ and be there for that special moment. And as you watch other people come out of the consulate with a visa in their hand and a smile on their face, you realize that these people are getting their first taste of "living the American dream," and it makes you feel honored and much more appreciative to be an American. It is no exaggeration for me to say that the 3 plus hours I waited outside the consulate for my fiancee, pacing up and down that street, that when I saw various people come out of the consulate so overwhelmed with excitement because of a simple visa to America, it really changed my life and helped me to reaffirm my firm belief that the United States of America is by far the best country in the world. Perfect? Far from it. Better than anywhere else? Damn right---just ask the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who are here. I apologize for being so long winded, its a bad habit of mine on this forum. If we were to receive a blue thinggie for total words, I think I would be at the top. Nonetheless, please accept our best wishes for you and your SO. Whether you can be there or not, I hope and pray everything goes as planned. God bless.

Carl and Hongyu

I am curious, we are allowed to go to the actual interview with them or do we just get to wait outside? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I did not realize we had the option to go to the interview. I was planning on going with my S/O but I was unaware we could go inside with them

You would have to wait outside the consulate.