"She's here illegally" ?!?!?

Recently, my wife and I went to the SSA office to change her name on the SS card (I know, I know... it was dumb to apply for the card BEFORE getting married since she wanted to use my name.)

We had in our possession the NOA letters for our AOS, EAD, and AP applications. But the SSA lady didn't care about these -- when she saw my wife's expired I-94 card, she said it means my wife is here illegally and she can't & won't do anything about it.

I tried explaining that no K-1 visa holder in the history of mankind has ever come to U.S, gotten married, filed AOS, fingerprinted, interviewed and received the green card -- all within 90 days.

Am I missing something? Doesn't the fact that she has evidence of applying for the AOS make her legal? How else could she be legal?

We're scheduled to do fingerprinting tomorrow in Newark, NJ. I wonder what surprises we'll be hit with...

That lady at the SS office is apparently wrong. Some of them can only see "one" way.

I posted something about SSA requirements concerning name changes the other day; the source posted below.

Your wife is here legally, as has already been noted. Dealing with SSA is like dealing with the CIS helpline; if you don't like the info they give you the first time, hang up and call again. You'll get a differnet rep along with different info, info that may better suit your purpose.

Try a different SSA office. Maybe they will have someone more experienced and knowledgable then the previous agent. Get their supervisor involved.

-good luck

SSA FACT SHEET

• 3 weeks later...

That's funny Frank. Immigration doesn't have this problem at all.

How can you expect SSA people to understand immigration matters when they can't even understand SSA matters?

Stupid people are all around us. They don't even know theyre stupid. It just stinks when one gets in your way and you need to go around them.

How can you expect SSA people to understand immigration matters when they can't even understand SSA matters?

What Frank said!!! I could not believe when I took Quan to get a number issued at SSA after we married. I never saw an office so totally full of stupid people as I did that day. Very frustrating! I don't have enough free time from work to sample every SSA office in the area and see if they are all equally as stupid!

Dealing with SSA is like dealing with the CIS helpline; if you don't like the info they give you the first time, hang up and call again. You'll get a differnet rep along with different info, info that may better suit your purpose.

Try a different SSA office. Maybe they will have someone more experienced and knowledgable then the previous agent. Get their supervisor involved.

Life in the Banana Republic

Dealing with SSA is like dealing with the CIS helpline; if you don't like the info they give you the first time, hang up and call again. You'll get a differnet rep along with different info, info that may better suit your purpose.

Life in the Banana Republic

GGGGggggrrrrrr!.....CIS!,,,don't get me started! After the unpleasant phonecall to them yesterday, I have come to the definite conclusion that they are the most unhelpful beings on this planet! I'll spare the aweful details but I think many here can "catch my drift."............ :lol: :lol: :D 'if ya know what I mean!

What Frank said!!! I could not believe when I took Quan to get a number issued at SSA after we married. I never saw an office so totally full of stupid people as I did that day. Very frustrating! I don't have enough free time from work to sample every SSA office in the area and see if they are all equally as stupid!

Tony,

I am really sorry to hear that you had a pain in the *$$ time at the SSA office. My darling is arriving this week, and we want to go shortly thereafter to get her SSN. If it is ok, could you either tell me in the thread, or via email or PM which office you went to in Boston, so that we could try a different one?

I am sorry to hear about what happened, and I know that this can not improve it, but at least, we can hope to not go down the same path.

Thanks for your help!