• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am beginning to think that they said years and I just heard weeks.  :rolleyes:   My wife is starting to get on me already about why hasn't she got her visa yet?  Why don't I call?  etc. etc.   :angry:

Owen, if you go two weeks without calling DOS, and you still don't hear anything. I would not want to be the one dealing with you when you finally do call someone....

Guest jennifer_lam
Well I call DOS just now.

Got Greg,

Interview was Aug. 14th.

Name re-sub Jan. 14th. GZ time

Not cleared

I asked about the 2 weeks time frame.

He said well....that is what we are estimating. The system is now "hands off" but we have had some small problems. Check back in a couple of weeks.

oh....a couple weeks???I think I can't expect too much next week. They said we need to wait 6-8 weeks or more....then we have been waiting for almost 6 months. "a couple weeks" means what???? :D ;)

I too am beginning to think that they said years and I just heard weeks.  <_<   My wife is starting to get on me already about why hasn't she got her visa yet?  Why don't I call?  etc. etc.   :blink:

Owen, if you go two weeks without calling DOS, and you still don't hear anything. I would not want to be the one dealing with you when you finally do call someone....

Who? Me? Nice sweet guy me!? Who you talking to!?! You talking to me!?!! I don't see anybody else in the room!!! And while we are at it where in the **** is our visa!!??!! NO, I don't care to wait another week!!!!

Alright, calm down. Take nice deep breaths. Think of the nice 40 degree C Kansas summer heart. Think of standing on the plains and looking for miles and not seeing another person except you and Chunxia.

OK, I'm back now. That is better. I think I'll go take a blood pressure pill now.

Eyahmia!! (Undoubtably spelled wrong in pinyin) My wife just looked at the calendar and realized how close it was to New Years. That led to a rant about "China people" at the consulate will not be really working now. That lead to my getting lectured about why I haven't gotten her a visa yet. Other people who "talked to Guangzhou" after her have their visas. Don't I know any powerful people? What are you doing about this? Why didn't you call DOS last night? Why don't I call GZ today? She is ready to go beat people at GZ. The bus, and train will be so crowded that maybe she will die. etc etc etc ad infinitum. Then I made the mistake of saying maybe she should just fly to GZ this time. Still going on as I write this.

God knows I love her!

In all seriousness, Owen points out one of the worst aspects of this absolutely dreadful experience we have been enduring, and that is the strain that it puts on relationships. And can we really blame our loved ones for being so upset and frustrated? After all, they continue to see friends and acquaintances who applied/interviewed MONTHS after they did receiving their visas and heading to the States, and they cannot believe that the U.S. government would handle this fiasco in such an unfair, and unjust manner. Therefore, we must be doing something wrong, we're not being aggressive enough, etc., etc. When will this ever end?

Eyahmia!! (Undoubtably spelled wrong in pinyin)  My wife just looked at the calendar and realized how close it was to New Years.  That led to a rant about "China people" at the consulate will not be really working now.  That lead to my getting lectured about why I haven't gotten her a visa yet.  Other people who "talked to Guangzhou" after her have their visas.  Don't I know any powerful people?  What are you doing about this?  Why didn't you call DOS last night?  Why don't I call GZ today?  She is ready to go beat people at GZ.  The bus, and train will be so crowded that maybe she will die.  etc etc etc ad infinitum.  Then I made the mistake of saying maybe she should just fly to GZ this time.  Still going on as I write this.

God knows I love her!

Owen,

You have the most vivid posts.

When I read this, I was almost there in the room.

Owen:

As someone stated, your description was most vivid. I can imagine the frustration you feel. You, perhaps more than most, have worked diligently to get at the bottom of the causes of this morass we all find ourselves in. Sometimes, I feel as if I am caught in a slowly sinking bog of quicksand.

And I can also understand how frustrated your wife must be. She expects things from our government, just as we do, and our government doesn't deliver. In my view, this whole mess is inexcusable from the get go. My big fear, as mentioned in yesterdays post, is that things will slowly grind to a halt at New Years. I think your wife, too, must sense this. I think the situation is further complicated by a cultural issue, namely, the Chinese are used to using guanxi. If you know the right people, you can fix anything. I think it may be difficult for her to understand why you can't just call the right person and "fix it". I am sure you are well aware of all this but just thought I would say it anyway.

You have been most helpful to me in both posts and on the phone. If you need to vent, just give me a call, or, if you like, maybe I'll call you. I think I have your number stored in a PM.

I feel for you right now, especially you. If things drag out much longer, especially beyond this supposed "two week window", I think I may need your help changing my avatar to Yosemite Sam! :rolleyes:

Please, stay in touch my friend.

Well I call DOS just now.

Got Greg,

Interview was Aug. 14th.

Name re-sub Jan. 14th. GZ time

Not cleared

I asked about the 2 weeks time frame.

He said well....that is what we are estimating. The system is now "hands off" but we have had some small problems. Check back in a couple of weeks.

I heard the same thing today. Now it looks like that "2 weeks" we were told was not accurate. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"