Black Chicken

One day , when shopping for food, Ying asks if I want "Black Chicken". I tell her I have never had it, she says it is good. Sure enough the chicken is black from beak to claw. Ying says they grow this way, but I am thinking it has been marinated/processed in something. It made a great supper, but I still wonder what is a "Black Chicken".

I think it is 'black-bone chicken' . I think it belongs to the 'chicken' class, a kind of poultry. In Mandarine, its name is 'Wu-Gu-Ji', literally, 'black-bone-chicken'. Its size is smaller than ordinary chicken, with very white feather, black claws. It is very nutritional, esp. the chicken broth. It is also a very useful medication in Chinese traditional medicine. We have 'Wu Ji Bai Feng Wan'(a pill) here, which is useful for some malfunction of body system of women.(esp. irregular periods).

Take a look at http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/...s/DBD4791.shtml.  Jingwen buys them at the market.  Most of the ones she buys are imported from Canada, but I am sure you can find domestic brands as well.  The chicken is pricey - about $8 for a game hen sized bird, but it does make a great soup.

That is very interesting, thanks for the link. It seems like such a sweet bird I don't know how somebody could have the heart to kill it and process it. That is pretty incredible that even the male will help care for the chicks. My darling wife wants to have pet fowl of various kinds, someday we must have some of these silkies.

Could it be Afro-Asian chicken?

"Chicken of color".

NAACP (National Organization for the Advancement of Colored Poultry).

Pity my wife does not think I'm half as funny as I think I am :lol:

Don't worry Moon there are many of us here that appreciate your humor!

*THAT NAACP* has a copyright problem "stewing"- seems all the "chicks" here in China are wearing NAACP

(National Organization for the Advancement of *CHINESE* Poultry) :o B)

tee shirts!

• 11 months later...

When we lived in China, Li, along with numerous other females I knew, often ate the black chicken for all sorts of ailments. I knew one woman who had a miscarriage and, as a result, took to the bed for a couple of weeks. Her husband went to the market every day to get a black chicken. I have tasted it and it ain't too bad, actually.

It is a black skin chicken.

Ahem. We prefer the term "Afro-American" chicken.

Is it really American?

Could it be Afro-Asian chicken?

"Chicken of color".

NAACP (National Organization for the Advancement of Colored Poultry).

Pity my wife does not think I'm half as funny as I think I am :)

91175[/snapback]

Moon !!!!

Following is a picture of me playing S.T.N. in China.

Is it you? What do I win?

http://tinypic.com/k3k4kl_th.jpg

We also ate some chicken of color at this BJ restaurant.