Show of power and coordination to DOS

Owen's post is great. Do you realize what an opportunity this is? I think the reason that things have changed (for the better) at DOS is because they recognize we are coordinated, that we have banded to together, we share information, and we are a powerful force to be reckoned with. Can you image what a message it would send to DOS if next week they got almost no calls?

DOS has basically made a statement to us that they will clear as many people as they can as quickly as they can. They have asked us to let them do it. It is not quite clear to me that the people like Sara and Greg who answer the public line really do the work of clearing people, but Cabral's letter indicates that their work is needed to process the clearances. I have decided that I am not going to call DOS next week. I hope many of you will will agree with my reasoning. If Cabral sees a huge reduction in calls next week, it sends her (and DOS) a pretty clear message: we are unified; we can make their job easy or difficult. It is a risk, it will be a difficult week because I'll feel like I'm sitting around doing nothing, but in fact, I think we'll be making a very strong statement. What do you think?

Marc

I agree with Marc, Owen, and P.J. I also spoke with Ms. Cabral last night and felt, with caution, a certain amount of encouragement and hope. Granted, we have been disappointed in the past but perhaps we should not allow this to lead us into a perpetual state of negativity. I will wait two weeks and see what happens. :rolleyes: B)

I just realized that the part of Owen's post that struck me was posted in the Russian forum, and not here. So I am reposting it here. Hope that's ok, Owen.

-----------------------------------------------

This is from Owen Krout. I just had a conversation with Ms Kathryn Cabral, the Public Inquiries Division Chief at DOS. She recognized my name immediately. She was very helpful and has asked me to post the text of an email.

While our conversation was focused on the problems at Guangzhou, China, the substance of what she had to say should be of interest to the Russian group also. It indicates that DOS is taking steps to solve the problem. The steps they are taking should help everyone, not just the Chinese group. Also it demonstrates that our efforts have paid off.

I am convinced that this is legitimate information and that it is a sign of progress. I also agreed to encourage people not to call to check on cases for the next couple of weeks. This is because new, truly helpful steps, have been taken by DOS and by easing up on the phone calls, we will give them the manpower to work even quicker.

All outstanding cases have now been resubmitted. A call to verify this may not be helpful because DOS themselves resubmitted the remaining cases instead of waiting for GZ to do so. Those cases will not show on the computer as having been resubmitted even though they have been. Therefore calling right now only ties up manpower. Since they have taken definite, positive steps and they have chosen to share information on what they are actually doing, I agree with letting them alone for a couple of weeks. They are estimating that most cases should be clear of the name check by then. Of course anybody whose name generates a “hit” in the system may have to wait for a more extensive check, but that is the point of the system.

She assured me that all names are now being actively processed. The last names, my wife being one of them, were apparently entered today. Jan 10th.

***then comes the e-mail that is posted under a separate thread***

No problem Marc. I gave the information to so many people at so many different times, I may have forgotten who I told what. I won't deliberately tell two people different things. What I post anywhere on a public forum is public to all. There are some details that I agreed not to make public and have discussed with a few select people privately in e-mails, but they know who they are and why it is kept close to home.

No problem Marc.  I gave the information to so many people at so many different times, I may have forgotten who I told what.  I won't deliberately tell two people different things.  What I post anywhere on a public forum is public to all.  There are some details that I agreed not to make public and have discussed with a few select people privately in e-mails, but they know who they are and why it is kept close to home.

Owen, thanks for posting the letter on 001 as well. I added some briefings in Chinese suggesting the girls not to call in the next 1-2 weeks..Let's see how they will fight back.. :P :)

thanks La Diva. Please do explain it to them in Chinese. We are still trying to get my computer to type in Chinese without losing the English setup or my wife would have been on 001 already. Teamwork is what this is all about. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. I'll answer anything I can for you so you can relay it to the gals.

My take on it is that this is only effecting people who have already interviewed. Remember that there was/is a large group of people who interview over 20 weeks ago and have been waiting since then. Don't panic yet if you haven't even had an interview.

I think that this is a legitimate effort with a workable plan to bring the whole process back into a reasonable time frame. Basically now they are trying to revamp the system to get the names through as quickly as possible. This will never be an immediate process since the laws passed by Congress require the security checks. I think that we have bugged them into devising a new system that will bring it at least close to the time frame that existed before this mess evolved.

Let them work on it for two weeks. If they are not really making major progress by January 24th, I will join in another charge against the ramparts.