Going to school

Has anyone had any experience with your SO going to university in the US? What kind of paperwork do they need? Will they be regarded as an international or domestic applicant? What kind of tests will they have to take, such as TOEFL? Do they have to have SSN first?

Thanks in advance...

a

We have also been looking into this, and I'd love to hear about the experiences of anyone's SOs who have studied in the states. We are both stressing over studying for the GREs right now.

As far as we know, it depends on each school but mostly they all require the TOEFL (unless you've been to school using English) and the GRE (same as for anyone else). I looked at some applications and it seems like it doesn't really matter if the applicant is technically an international student or not. I haven't noticed any differences between applying from China or from the States, seems like it's just a question of whether they need the school's paperwork to get a visa, which obviously our SOs would not. I have heard that if you go on a K visa you can't go to school right away but I'm not sure about that. I could be wrong about some of this, if so I hope someone will correct me!

Check the appropiate states' (college) WEB SITE.

Amber, I know there is a lot of differences just state to state. Heck, last year NV. had a 6 month and also a 12 month requirement at about the same time. Lawsuit was brought against the UNLV college system as most all other things for residency statewide were 6 months and STILL they required the higher fees as long as the end of the semester AFTER living in state as a legal resident for 12 months (Meaning some people WERE STILL paying NON resident fees for almost 18 months after living there).

Some states only require you live there (and validate such) but I have heard some other places questioning citizenship status (i.e. LPR before the residency clock starts).

We have also been looking into this, and I'd love to hear about the experiences of anyone's SOs who have studied in the states. We are both stressing over studying for the GREs right now.

As far as we know, it depends on each school but mostly they all require the TOEFL (unless you've been to school using English) and the GRE (same as for anyone else).  I looked at some applications and it seems like it doesn't really matter if the applicant is technically an international student or not. I haven't noticed any differences between applying from China or from the States, seems like it's just a question of whether they need the school's paperwork to get a visa, which obviously our SOs would not. I have heard that if you go on a K visa you can't go to school right away but I'm not sure about that. I could be wrong about some of this, if so I hope someone will correct me!

You can *only* go to school if you have one of the following:

1. A green card

2. A passport

3. A F/J/H visa (I think that H also qualifies) ... there may be other visa types, but K is definitely not one of them!

I registered for spring semester at a community college. I was one of those who had to make another trip to provide evidence of residency here. The document I brought :

Part A: Proof of legal status

1. my passport 2. my green card 3. letters from immigration bureau which showed my AOS application .

Part B: one year of residency

1.my paycheck stub 2. my driver's licence

For application to a local university, if you are applying for graduate degree, GRE/GMAT score needed, school records in orginal language/translation with official seal needed.. you may check under " international student" for more info.

Ok, thanks everyone, so it looks like he'll have to have 1 year residency to get in-state tuition fees... so maybe he won't be starting school next year. He won't be applying to grad school right away- he has to finish his bachelor's degree first. He has a 3 year Chinese degree.