Chinese Weddings

We had a civil ceremony in May of 2004, but I am heading to Nanjing on Feb 7, 05, and our chinese wedding will be handled then, along with chinese new year. My LP is so excited for it, and I cannot wait either. I think it will be a lot of fun, but I dont drink, so water and cola will be my mix. I am excited to do this, and to mix it with the new year celebrations... Good luck to all who go this route. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
We had a civil ceremony in May of 2004, but I am heading to Nanjing on Feb 7, 05, and our chinese wedding will be handled then, along with chinese new year. My LP is so excited for it, and I cannot wait either.  I think it will be a lot of fun, but I dont drink, so water and cola will be my mix.  I am excited to do this, and to mix it with the new year celebrations... Good luck to all who go this route. :D

Bahan, Congrats man I can send you some information on the tradition.

Learn these imoprtant words, you can only say them on your wedding day and the wife will think your a stud.

Say this through the doors when you are giving her brides maids, candy, lucky money and cigarettes.

"Wo Yao Chi Lao Po"

You won't have a clue dude, just play along and have fun.

he he I remember the other thread now. I got married the day after you.

Mine was quite a thang B)

Be prepared to spend ONE very LONG day doing wedding pics. We started ours at 9am and did not get done until after 10pm.

Day of the wedding:

Limo took me to Yaya's house.

Had to stand at the front door knocking and yelling that I love her and want to marry her and please let me in for several minutes before her family would let me in (all fun for them...lol...a little frustrating for me since I did not know what was sposed to be happening that day).

Once I get in the house I had to find her (not hard in a 2 bedroom house).

Once I "found" her, I had to once again stand at her bedroom door knocking and saying the same things before her freinds would let me in the room...actually, even when they did open the dor they still would not let me in...finally Yaya had to get up and let me in herself.

After finding her and getting to her...I had to cary her to the limo (she lived on the 6th floor of that apt building...and of course there are NO elevators in China it seems.).

- thru all of this everyone is laughing and carying on and the WHOLE event is videotaped...everything.

We drive around in the limo and make a few stops at some historic sopts for pics (the video dudes are hanging out the back and sides of a van videotaping the ride & everything.

We get the the hotel where the banquet/ceremony is and stand outside greeting everyone who comes.

When we are done greeting we eat a quick meal with her cousin & friend (I guess they would be the best man and brides maid in our wedding?).

Then we go get on stage and this other dude stand up there saying many things (this was the ceremony).

Her father gives a speech.

She says why she wants to marry me.

I say why I want to marry her.

Then I must go to the other end of the hall and run back up to the stage waving flowers yelling I love her and want to marry her.

We hold hands and say some things.

Much bowing to many people.

We cut the cake.

We pour onna those wine waterfall thingys.

We are done and can mingle the rest of the night and eat more food.

During the mingling...family/friends will offer ME many drinks (and some very strong shit at that...but I was used to drinking somma the 200+ proof corn hooch that buddies would get from ADM plant). SHE only drank juice & water...LOL.

AND...OF COURSE...we have a DVD of this whole event. My family got a big HOOT outta watching it at Xmas. :P