AOS interview in morning

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys here's the scoop. Overall it was fairly painless. There are a few heads up to give. I took an interpreter. The interview letter said to bring a translator if needed. Immediate family members, ie husband, are not allowed to translate. Our appointment was 9:00 am. We showed up at 8:50 and our name was called about 9:20. Bing, myself and our translater ( guy named Bob) stood up and began to follow her. She stopped and said "who is this gentleman? I explained that he is our translator and she got kind of bitchy and says "doesn't she speak english?" I told her "yes she does but sometimes doesn't hear english well." The 3 of us then followed her into the office and began the interview. I was really glad we brought a translator because Bing didn't understand a lot of the government terms the woman used and she would not allow me to say hardly anything to Bing. One of the first things she did was hand Bing a piece of paper and a pen and told her to write her address. Then she told her to write her phone number. I think she wanted to see if Bing really knew my address and phone number. Then she proceeded to tell us that Bing can't use her maiden name as a middle name on the AOS forms. It has to be either her maiden name or my name or a hyphenated name. We opted for my last name. Then she asked Bing if she had ever been arrested, if she had ever claimed to be a US citizen, if she had ever voted ilegally in the US and if she had lied on any USCIS matters. (this is where the translator came in really handy) By this time the woman was starting to warm up to us and become a little nicer. She then asked me for my latest check stub,letter from my employer, utility bills in both our names, joint bank account statements etc. She looked at them and was satisfied and gave them all back to me. Then she told us she was approving the application and took a couple of Bings finger prints and explained the conditions of the green card. (again the translator came in handy.) In short we have to be married two years from now and have to file to lift the conditions within 90 days prior to the expiration date. Other wise it automatically goes into deportation proceedings. The green card is supposed to come in about4 months and she stamped bings passport and took her EAD card.

The whole interview took about 30 minutes. and overall was fairly easy but I would recommend that unless your wife speaks perfect english taking a translator is a good idea.

Mick you may want to consider moving to Portland. The whole AOS process only took us 10 weeks from the date we filed.

Hi Carl...congratulations on your AOS interview! I also want to thank you for taking time to share (in detail) all the steps you have taken. The information will probably get alot of us through the hoops the first time around.

By the way, will you file immediately to have the green card conditions lifted? How long do you have to go through this final step, and how much time must you wait once you have submitted the paperwork?

Thanks

Hi Carl...congratulations on your AOS interview!  I also want to thank you for taking time to share (in detail) all the steps you have taken. The information will probably get alot of us through the hoops the first time around.

By the way, will you file immediately to have the green card conditions lifted? How long do you have to go through this final step, and how much time must you wait once you have submitted the paperwork?

Thanks

You have to wait until 90 days before the green card expires to have the conditions lifted. DO NOT BE LATE it will go into deportation proceedings if you are