Thursday 09/30/2004. Our day. Visa appt at 8:00 AM. Long wait. Guangzhou hot!!! Wife come back. Denied!!!! RFE. Need ORIGINAL copy of divorce decree. Certified. Not notarial divorce decree. No have. Frustrated!! Hot!!!! Calm down. Go and speak with officer. Find WONDERFUL woman, and almost wonderful man. Woman was kind beyond belief. We had given up wife's apartment, packed belongings, bought plane ticket. (stupid-I know) Consulate not open until 10/06/2004. Help. They came thru. Got faxed copy of original decree. Get visa. Come america next week. Thank you to all the people at CFL for all the wonderful help along the way. When I get back I will add what information I can to make it easier for those in process, and those to come.

I am very happy for you that you were able to resolve the problem so fast. You were very fortunate.

I have a question that perhaps you can answer: Did the instructions in the P4 packet specifically tell you to bring your original divorce decree, certified?

This is very important to know for us.

Thanks.

-jim

Unless I am badly mistaken the GZ website says translated notatorial divorce decree. I guess that VO likes to rewrite the rules as they go. Fortunately you were there to take care of it. Any of you guys thinking about not going to China for the interveiw take heed. GZ appears to be doing what ever they can to hinder the process. Blue slips used to be rare. Now they are almost routine. I am looking forward to hearing how you resolved the situation.

Most importantly, congratulations on the visa. Bring her home.

Wow!

Larry & Meirong! If anyone had a reason to sweat it was you two! (GZ heat or no heat!) ---- yeah it really shows that blue slips can come ENTIRELY out of left field!!

No matter how hard we prepare, there is always somtin' that an NVO can find if they want... Like the cop and the tail light.... if he wants to pull you over, he'll find a reason!

But talk about dodging a bullet~! And just on the cusp of the long National Day shut down...

Well, CONGRADULATIONS~!! And have a nice flight home!

Congrats Larry and Meirong !! Glad to hear that your potential disaster worked itself out.

I'm usually pretty optomistic, but I am starting to believe that some VO's do throw unexpected things at you to see if you really are comitted to the relationship.

We are planning a window of at least a few days in GZ for unexpected suprizes . . .

Oh, and TIA for any interview info you can share with us!!!

Sorry to be late in getting back to some of you. I/we are still in transit. Some have asked how the Notarial is different from the certified copy. The Notarial is just a paper-albeit notarized-saying the divorce decree is valid-in English and Chinese, and that the record exists. The exact copy of a notarized divorce decree, in america, is the equivelant of going to the courthouse and asking for an exact notarized copy of the multi page divorce decree that you were given by your lawyer. My wife and I had turned the copy she had over to the marriage license bureau when we were married. She could have gotten a new one by going to the records people in her city of Liuzhou.

She said that the guy that denied her was blond, about 30. Trying to be fair, but I still think he was being an asshole. Her I 130 had been approved already, and she gave him that approval copy. He kept asking her if she was there with the woman next to her, who was applyng for K 1

She said no, he asked her again. She said no again. The marriage was not in question, so how could her divorce have been in question.

Meirong had the impression that he was looking around for a reason. The woman who helped me was listening to me vent at the Consul window to a man who in the end would not have helped me. She was around the corner, and out of sight. Her appearance was unbelievable. She said she didn't normally work where she was at.

Don't ever expect such a miracle from these people. I hate to say it, but I really find women more helpful than men in most aspects of life.