Gifts for Chinese Inlaws

I am bringing presents to my inlaws in China. I have my mother inlaw and sis inlaw figured out, but am having trouble with my father inlaw. He's a smoker and I was thinking of just bringing him a carton of smokes, but my wife is kind of against this. Can someone give me a clue as to what to bring a very traditional Buddist Chinese man as a gift?

I am getting my sis inlaw a Micheal Bolton CD, yea yea I know, and some stuff from bath and body works. My Mom inlaw I will get her some stained glass pieces for her kitchen window, but for my Pops inlaw I am with out a clue.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tim

I had the same issues when my wife had asked me to pick up Cigerettes for the brother-in-law that she and her mom live with. I was against buying them though since I do not smoke and feel that I am contributing to a bad habbit. :)

As for your interesting problem, I am not really sure since my wife's father had passed away quite a while before I ever met her. I am sure the Ladies here may know of some nice gifts that will do very nicely. It really depends on what type of person this man is. When I buy a gift for someone, I look and see what their interests are, and then buy a gift around a certain interest. Don't know if this helps, but it may be a start.

Phil

Here's my choice. After 4 trips I have learned what works.

Smokes for the men. Marlboro's, Camels or any cig American will be a big hit. Leave the cigars at home.

or

Scotch or Bourbon. Glennfidich, Oban, JD or Jim Beam works well.

(look at this way Pabst Blue Ribbon is the "chic" brew in China right now).

Let the Chinese Gambai a few of these liquors - you'll be a big hit.

For the women. Japanese or US made cosmetics or Japanese or Swiss made watches.

Check the label to make sure nothing is "Made in the PRC"

I tried all types of gifts but found the above to make the most impact.

For a devout Buddhist, liquor might not be the answer. Depends on how devout he actually is. One option might be some kind of high-quality, unique incense. If he has a home alter, many Chinese do, this would be a gift he would really appreciate. Just a thought. Another possibility is to either truck on down to Barnes and Noble or some such place and see if there are any picture books of places of interest in America. I have found these always are a hit with my students and friends over here. :o

what i brought last time was a hickory farms box of sausage and cheese but they didnt like the taste all they liked was the jam in the box :P next trip ill bring a big bag of pistachios and some chocolates , also if you have something in your family thats been passed down through generations that makes a good gift because it shows you think of them as your family :D

Wow, thanks everyone for the great replies. Here's some more info. My father inlaw doesn't drink. The idea of the picture book is excellent. I almost bought one yesterday at Borders. They have a really nice coffee book of Ohio landscape. Incense too is a great idea, I never thought of that.

My mother is painting a small wooden box for them with a hilly landscape of Ohio that I think they will charish.