A new thought for when travelling

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

I have been bouncing this thought around in my head for a few weeks, and have also discussed this with some other members here on the phone, so I thought that I would post it.

To start, right now I wonder, how many of you, when you have travelled to china to be with your sweety, ever checked in with the local U.S. Consulate when you where there?? Let them know that you are there???

I have been wondering if this might just help the process along. When they are processing papers, they can look at the puter, see that yes, you have been there, and not just wait for the interview and see supporting documents. I know that when I travel to GZ, that is usually my second or third stop the day after I arrive. Another thing that I did when I was there, was after our wedding, I actually took a couple of photos with me there and gave them to the American Services office, along with my heartfelt thanks for helping me with the single certificate that I needed. I am not sure if this helped or not, but at least while I was there, they could see that I was serious. When I returned, I again stopped there, and said hello, and they did remember me because Elizabeth Mader, Vice Counsul came up and said hello, and welcome back, and that she still had the photo.

So now I am wondering, maybe this does help since many of you remember that when Ling received her papers and had her interview, not a single problem, including the name check.

Just a thought.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DragonFlower

You know you can register your marriage at the consulate.I mentioned this to my lawyer,he said do not worry about it.But this time when I am there ,I am going to Citizen services and registering it.Can not hurt can it.Besides what do lawyers know(hahahahaha).

long

Guest blsqueaky
You know you can register your marriage at the consulate.I mentioned this to my lawyer,he said do not worry about it.But this time when I am there ,I am going to Citizen services and registering it.Can not hurt can it.Besides what do lawyers know(hahahahaha).

long

Long, I did not register it at the consulate. I just went in, saw Elizabeth, and said thanks for all of her help, then handed her the pics. Plus I also had my Single certificate done there, and I am sure that they registered this.

No long, it can not hurt, and besides, you will get to see what it looks like inside. Just make sure that before you go thru security, take everything out of your pockets, and I mean everything, not even a pen is allowed.

Guest DragonFlower

Thanks squeak,but I know the drill.I originally got my eligibility cert. there.Even had to keep my wife from being robbed,a couple of jerks were leading us someplace to have some pictures taken.I called an end to that,when they wanted to "help" carry our luggage.

long

I'm in Nanning now.

The previous time I emailed the Consulate, I let them know when I was coming, with a polite request that they schedule the interview while I'm here. :P (You never know until you try; right? :lol: )

After I arrived, I registered online at the DOS travel registration website.

Just yesterday, I emailed them to let them know I'm here, and asked if they've scheduled the interview yet. I intend to call DOS this evening (7:30 AM US Central Time.)

I feel these sort of contacts can definitely help us stand out against the noise of fraud cases the consulate is having to deal with.

Thanks for the good ideas! I never knew that you could register the fact that you will be in another country. I will do this for my next trip on line with the DOS and in person when I get to GZ.

In my friendly outgoing manner, I will tell them that I am there with my fiancee for her interview. Don't know if it'll help, but as it's been said, can't hurt!

POLITE request for an interview. No yelling, screaming, complaining, "I can't live without her" etc. Ya never know. They MAY be taken so far off balance that maybe........

Also casually walking into GZ and register has a good ring to it.

"I'm registered up in Shanghai and I'll only be here a few days while my S/O is going through her interview. Should I register here also?" Chance to scout out some of the insides too?????

oregonknl, ChineseWife,

On my "polite request"; They denied it fairly quickly. For some reason, I tend to get email responses from them within a day; but there's usually weeks since I've emailed them previously. (I always use the "Other" topic selection, and I write as if to a friend or a good coworker.)

Having seen how they're having to wade through fraud cases, being creative about how they see our legitimate cases is important.

My flight layovers in Guangzhou or Hong Kong haven't been long enough for a personal visit; so I've taken the tack of using email, but the the tone that they are friends helping me solve a problem. Possibly when it comes to my babe's interview, if I can't be here; this paper trail of cooperative emails may have already helped.

By they way; for those of you who haven't been through the new Baiyun (White Cloude) airport, it's an interesting place. But I felt I had to walk 5 miles to get from my Customs to the domestic terminal for my Nanning flight. <whew> :huh: :huh: