What have I got myself into?

Greetings,

First, I would like to introduce myself, I am Jim, and I recently have entered this wonderful world of United States immigration rituals. I was introduced to the love of my life, Yunhe, after responding to a personals add found on the Internet. The ad was actually place close to me and it was only after responding that I learned that it had been placed on behalf of her cousin still living in China. Once I learned this, I decided that such a correspondence might be worthwhile. After several months I found myself on a plane to Shanghai to meet her. I honestly was not even sure that this person was even going to be there let alone be anything like I was lead to believe on line. Seeing Yunhe and spending those 2 weeks in Kunshan with her was the best time I could have hoped for. While there, we decided to get married, and it was only then that we learned of the K-1 visa. After getting home to California, I started the application process and the great wait that has followed. The application process is so confusing. I knew there was trouble when talking to the USCIS, I would sometimes hear that the operator didn’t know much more than I did on different matters.

Since then, I have recently received the NOA2 from USCIS making me very happy and at the same time a little confused. When the ap was sent, the following day I discovered the immigration photos asked for. I questioned USCIS about it and was told I would receive a RFE for them. I did not, and the approved the ap and sent it to NVC. Could this turn into problem? Or, will I see the RFE from NVC? Also, reading another post, if I read it correctly, once Yunhe receives the P3 packet, the only thing needing return is part 1 of the form DS-230? No supporting docs are needed at all? Not even her birth cert?

On a lighter side, since we started this, she has gone back to Fushun. We have bee discussing me wanting very much to come see her. Is anyone familiar with flying to Shenyang? I can find fare on line for around $870 with Air China. Is this reasonable?

My only regret so far, is that I did not find this site sooner. It could have saved me a lot of worry and anguish in starting this whole process. I am sure I will be here asking many questions as I muddle through this. This can sometimes seem overwhelming, but it is good to know that Yunhe and I are not alone.

:D

Welcome! They will get photos at interview always have about 8 available for them when she goes better safe then sorry some are used for the Visa.

P3 no documents required she well bring all of them to the interview and probably will not ask to see them.. P3 is basically a check list telling them you have everything ready to go documents that is But you must have these documents available at the interview in GZ. ADIT photos are out full face passport type photos are in.

Good luck

Welcome! It's good that I'm not the only new person here :blink: You and Yunhe are defintely not alone!!

I've found that a travel agent has better prices than I've been able to find on-line. I've saved, on average, $200 per trip. Hopefully this will work for you too. Have a great trip!

Tom

Welcome to Candle Jim, you've found a good family with lots of resources and experience. My wife and daughter are from Fushun and I've flown to Shenyang on several occasions and then on to Fushun by taxi, 200 yuan round trip, about fifty miles. I live in Alaska and my airfare ranges from 870 to 1000 dollars. I use Air Canada or Korean Air. What you've stated sounds reasonable depending on where you're departing from. Good Luck!

Hi,

I can talk a little bit about Shenyang because I lived there for two years.

The airport in Shenyang is old, but the terminal is new and has only been in use for about two years. Shenyang is about an hour flight from Beijing.

I think it's possible to arrive in Beijing and still get a plane to Shenyang on the same day. There are quite a few flights, and I think some leave Beijing as late as 8pm or so. I think most Int'l arrivals from North America come in between 10am and 2pm, so there should be plenty of time to continue on.

The drive from the Shenyang airport to the center of the city is about 30-40 minutes, depending on the traffic and exactly where you're going in the city.

Are you planning to continue on to Fushun the same day? Will your fiancee` meet you in Beijing or Shenyang or Fushun?

I think Fushun is about an hour, maybe a little less, by train from Shenyang. There are at least two train stations in Shenyang, there may be a third but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's important to know which one you will use! It would be easy to go to the wrong station, and if you're alone it could be difficult to get help unless you speak Chinese.

On my last trip there in October '02 I went by train from Beijing to Shenyang. We rode 'soft seat' and the train was very nice, but it is a rather long ride of about 9 hours. It's a great way to see the countryside if you take a train leaving Beijing before about noon or 2pm.

:D Thanks for all of the great info. It helps put my mind at ease as far as these pictures I still have. As in some of the other string I have read, Yunhe is also very concerned about me spending too much money and suggests we wait for the interview. Therefore, travel at this time is still being debated. I am really looking forward to getting to know the people around here.